Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2015, 10:10 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,474,847 times

Advertisements

This is going to be a mile stone year with mixed reality. While I saw this coming years ago it's surreal to actually be here!

This is from H+ Magazine:

What is Mixed Reality? In short, Mixed Reality is the world which we now inhabit where real and virtual objects co-exist and can causally influence each other. In Mixed Reality persistent virtual objects can be created, seen, and manipulated and they exist and are perceived as integrated with the real world.

Together with the Internet of Things where environmental objects embed computational elements, sensors, and connectivity, Mixed Reality will radically alter the way we interact with and think about the world.

Reality as we know it just ended.

The link: h+ Magazine | Welcome To Mixed Reality - h+ Magazine

Here is one example of what we are talking about:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2015, 09:57 PM

This is the best you are here sign I have ever seen!

The AI Revolution: The Road to Superintelligence Part 1

The link: The AI Revolution: Road to Superintelligence - Wait But Why

Old 01-26-2015, 10:20 AM

When I talk about how people are merging with the technology and it will only advance as we get to the nanotech revolution by 2030 and people say it will not happen just look at what people said about the internet only 25 years ago and where it is today.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:28 PM

Now DARPA is going to help advance our ability to merge with computers so it looks like it will happen much faster then I had thought. This surprised me a lot because I was told by many people when I said this would happen by 2030 it was optimistic now with all the news coming out it looks like it will be by 2020! I am beyond thrilled.

This is from MIT technology review:

Researcher Jose Carmena has worked for years training macaque monkeys to move computer cursors and robotic limbs with their minds. He does so by implanting electrodes into their brains to monitor neural activity. Now, as part of a sweeping $70 million program funded by the U.S. military, Carmena has a new goal: to use brain implants to read, and then control, the emotions of mentally ill people.

This week the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, or DARPA, awarded two large contracts to Massachusetts General Hospital and the University of California, San Francisco, to create electrical brain implants capable of treating seven psychiatric conditions, including addiction, depression, and borderline personality disorder.

The link: DARPA Program Seeks to Use Brain Implants to Control Mental Illness | MIT Technology Review

Old 01-31-2015, 11:08 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,890,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
...read, and then control...
Yeah, I can't wait .

Old 02-02-2015, 02:53 AM

141 posts, read 128,528 times
Quote:
When I talk about how people are merging with the technology and it will only advance as we get to the nanotech revolution by 2030 and people say it will not happen just look at what people said about the internet only 25 years ago and where it is today.

That video is so excellent

Now over to something completely different!

A shot making your telomeres lenghten and then the active component goes away in around 48h, making your telomeres get "a decade younger":

https://www.fightaging.org/archives/...-extension.php

Why is this so big? IMO it is because it is the functional answer to De Grey:s eradication of cancer recipe: removing telomere lengthening functionality all together and then "resplenish them" every decade or so.

Old 02-16-2015, 11:23 AM

141 posts, read 128,528 times
DARPA is going TransHumanist H+!

A device the size of two nickels for 10$ is going to interfere with the visual cortex and display a crude display (visual fidelity of something like an early LED digital clock) this is huge!

h+ Magazine | Biology is Technology - DARPA is Back in the Game With A Big Vision and It Is H+ - h+ Magazine

Old 02-16-2015, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmond View Post
That video is so excellent

Now over to something completely different!

A shot making your telomeres lenghten and then the active component goes away in around 48h, making your telomeres get "a decade younger":

https://www.fightaging.org/archives/...-extension.php

Why is this so big? IMO it is because it is the functional answer to De Grey:s eradication of cancer recipe: removing telomere lengthening functionality all together and then "resplenish them" every decade or so.
I have seen many articles on that. Exciting developments.

Old 02-16-2015, 01:33 PM

I was just on vacation in Universal and when I went on this ride I had to laugh. When the was made in the 90's it seemed so futuristic now we have it. Shows how fast technology is advancing and why what seems to be unrealistic today will be normal by the 2020's.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:11 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,606,169 times
Quote:
Now DARPA is going to help advance our ability to merge with computers so it looks like it will happen much faster then I had thought. This surprised me a lot because I was told by many people when I said this would happen by 2030 it was optimistic now with all the news coming out it looks like it will be by 2020! I am beyond thrilled.

This is from MIT technology review:

Researcher Jose Carmena has worked for years training macaque monkeys to move computer cursors and robotic limbs with their minds. He does so by implanting electrodes into their brains to monitor neural activity. Now, as part of a sweeping $70 million program funded by the U.S. military, Carmena has a new goal: to use brain implants to read, and then control, the emotions of mentally ill people.

This week the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, or DARPA, awarded two large contracts to Massachusetts General Hospital and the University of California, San Francisco, to create electrical brain implants capable of treating seven psychiatric conditions, including addiction, depression, and borderline personality disorder.

The link: DARPA Program Seeks to Use Brain Implants to Control Mental Illness | MIT Technology Review
This is to treat illnesses though, that's what I've been telling you all this time that current research into implants involves treating diseases not making us more intelligent or stronger which is what you and other futurists are clamoring for.

Although, considering all the hacking that has been occurring, I'd be warry of these type of implants. The other day they mentioned on the news how self driving cars could be easily hacked. Therefore, I think they need to solve these issues before releasing any of these technologies commercially.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology