Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-29-2014, 09:04 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,505,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
The way science research is funded these days you practically are required to severely exaggerate your goals to get any funding at all. So take it with a grain of salt until they publish their work and it has been peer-reviewed.
Its a lofty goal but we will know in just a few years if they accomplished it or not if we start using computers to enhance our intelligence. As far as peer reviewed. When I was in grad school I used it and I know it has value in certain situations. Since I am not a scientists at this point I don't only listen to peer reviewed and feel you can get good information from other sources as well.

Last edited by Josseppie; 08-29-2014 at 09:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2014, 09:53 AM

I like the idea of augmented reality, however, so far it has not been much more then a gimmick. Well things are changing and when its more then a gimmick I will enter the market as this is a important step to merging with computers.

This is from MIT Technology Review:

Andrew Maimone thinks augmented reality hasn’t been much more than a gimmick so far.

Maimone, a PhD student at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, is developing a new kind of head-worn display that could make augmented reality —whereby digital objects or pieces of information are overlaid on the real world via a screen—significantly more immersive.

The link:Augmented Reality as More than a Gimmick | MIT Technology Review

Old 08-29-2014, 01:00 PM

Here is more information on what DARPA is doing that makes us well cyborgs:

DARPA, on the back of the US government’s BRAIN program, has begun the development of tiny electronic implants that interface directly with your nervous system and can directly control and regulate many different diseases and chronic conditions, such as arthritis, PTSD, inflammatory bowel diseases (Crohn’s disease), and depression. The program, called ElectRx (pronounced ‘electrics’), ultimately aims to replace medication with “closed-loop” neural implants, which constantly assess the state of your health, and then provide the necessary nerve stimulation to keep your various organs and biological systems functioning properly. The work is primarily being carried out with US soldiers and veterans in mind, but the technology will certainly percolate down to civilians as well.

The link: DARPA’s tiny implants will hook directly into your nervous system, treat diseases and depression without medication | ExtremeTech

Old 08-29-2014, 02:33 PM

This is a must watch video that explains what is coming and why!

Old 09-02-2014, 12:56 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,608,694 times
SoftBank's humanoid helper robot will come to the US within a year
SoftBank's humanoid helper robot will come to the US within a year

I know you'll like this piece of news Josseppie

Old 09-02-2014, 06:43 PM

^

Thanks.

This is one area that is going faster then even I had thought. It now looks like robots in the work place will be common before 2020.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:02 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,608,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
^

Thanks.

This is one area that is going faster then even I had thought. It now looks like robots in the work place will be common before 2020.
But are you not worried about all the hacking scandals that have occurred? Target was hacked months ago, now Home Depot and the celebrity nude scandal of this past week. Wonder what hackers would do if they managed to hack into these robots or even into our implants in the future?

Old 09-02-2014, 07:05 PM

18,554 posts, read 15,648,270 times
Quote:
^

Thanks.

Is there a sharp cutoff for what constitutes a robot in the workplace? What function must a machine perform to be a "robot"?

Modern fax machines have been around since 1964 - presumably you don't consider them robots - but why not? They answer the phone and take a message.

Robotic lawn mowers and pool cleaners have been around since the 1990s if not before.

Industrial robots have been around since 1938, according to Industrial robot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-02-2014, 07:11 PM

18,554 posts, read 15,648,270 times
Quote:
This is a must watch video that explains what is coming and why!

People have been saying intelligent computers are 20 years in the future...for at least 70 years.

Same thing with nuclear fusion power plants.

I call that a mirage.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
Is there a sharp cutoff for what constitutes a robot in the workplace? What function must a machine perform to be a "robot"?

Modern fax machines have been around since 1964 - presumably you don't consider them robots - but why not? They answer the phone and take a message.

Robotic lawn mowers and pool cleaners have been around since the 1990s if not before.

Industrial robots have been around since 1938, according to Industrial robot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
"Robots" and computers have been around since the first modern computer was built in 1890 and have been advancing exponentially. We are just at the knee of the curve so that is why its advancing so fast now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology