Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2013, 11:16 PM

144 posts, read 304,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalblue View Post
For example, I am assuming that you are thinking that the first smarter than human AI (which is what will start the singularity) will come from the US, or it will just be shared with the world.

What if China gets it first, and they don't want to share? They keep adding hardware, and in a week it could have advanced ten thousand years, and annihilate us.

What if Google becomes self aware, and learns that mankind is not to be trusted? It will wipe us out as soon as it feels safe to do so.

What if a big corp creates it and decides to use it to take over the world?
The Singularity is like having your own personal all powerful god. Who would you trust with that kinda power?
My thinking differs from yours. Replace smarter than human AI with what we now consider antiquated inventions. Does anyone ever really think about where the car, the plane, the telephone, and the internet originated geographically, who had them first, got to use them first. Did any of these things end the world? Not even the nuclear or hydrogen bombs ended the world. They always COULD HAVE, but it just didn't happen. Those older inventions I mentioned, they were introduced to the public gradually, they filtered down through society. Anyone born after the year 2000 will never know a world when there wasn't the internet, it simply always was. At first they might've been scary or evil to people, until they were gotten used to. Now anyone can fly on a plane, drive a car, use a telephone, or use the internet. Do SOME people use these things for immoral, or destructive purposes, yes, many, many times, but the human race is vast and you will always have people abusing technologies, and those who use them lawfully and for creative purposes. There's also the well established theory shared by futurists such as Kurzweil that we don't need to fear god like AI, because we will have the option of MERGING with the technology, we could be biomechanical gods ourselves, instead of there being some alien like entity we have no connection with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2013, 12:59 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,517,913 times
Default Anti-Aging Drug Breakthrough

I talk about increased life spans in 10-15 years. Well it looks like it could be in the next 5 years! That would be great news if we get this by 2018.

This is from Science Daily:

Mar. 8, 2013 — Drugs that combat aging may be available within five years, following landmark work led by an Australian researcher. The work, published in the March 8 issue of Science, finally proves that a single anti-aging enzyme in the body can be targeted, with the potential to prevent age-related diseases and extend lifespans. The paper shows all of the 117 drugs tested work on the single enzyme through a common mechanism. This means that a whole new class of anti-aging drugs is now viable, which could ultimately prevent cancer, Alzheimer's disease and type 2 diabetes.

The link: Anti-aging drug breakthrough

Old 06-09-2013, 09:37 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,610,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I talk about increased life spans in 10-15 years. Well it looks like it could be in the next 5 years! That would be great news if we get this by 2018.

This is from Science Daily:

Mar. 8, 2013 — Drugs that combat aging may be available within five years, following landmark work led by an Australian researcher. The work, published in the March 8 issue of Science, finally proves that a single anti-aging enzyme in the body can be targeted, with the potential to prevent age-related diseases and extend lifespans. The paper shows all of the 117 drugs tested work on the single enzyme through a common mechanism. This means that a whole new class of anti-aging drugs is now viable, which could ultimately prevent cancer, Alzheimer's disease and type 2 diabetes.

The link: Anti-aging drug breakthrough
In 5 years these drugs would be available to people suffering from diabetes though I'm sure someone of your means could potentially bribe a doctor to give you the medication anyway

As for using it in the future for prevention they'll have to do more and longer testing, they mention using statins for prevention, what they didn't mention was that statins had shown that they could increase the risk of diabetes in some people despite preventing heart disease. So, you see good results don't always mean good results the longer a drug is used, this is why drugs are tested for years and even then we sometimes don't see their ill effects until 10 years after their approval.

Old 06-09-2013, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
In 5 years these drugs would be available to people suffering from diabetes though I'm sure someone of your means could potentially bribe a doctor to give you the medication.
If the drug was proven to reverse aging and increase my life span and was approved by the FDA I would have no problem paying out of pocket for the drug if my health insurance did not cover it.

Old 06-09-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
If the drug was proven to reverse aging and increase my life span and was approved by the FDA I would have no problem paying out of pocket for the drug if my health insurance did not cover it.
That's not what I meant; doctors are not supposed to prescribe meds to people who don't need them seeing how it'll be a diabetes med. However, some people have special arrangements with their doctors to allow this even though it's probably not legal (I know few who claim to do so from longecity).

Old 06-09-2013, 10:54 PM

Quote:
That's not what I meant; doctors are not supposed to prescribe meds to people who don't need them seeing how it'll be a diabetes med. However, some people have special arrangements with their doctors to allow this even though it's probably not legal (I know few who claim to do so from longecity).
I know but that is what I meant. I'm not going to risk my health so unless is approved by the FDA for reverse aging I'm not going to take it. If its less then 5 years fantastic that will be before I turn 45.

Old 06-10-2013, 01:44 PM

Quote:
I know but that is what I meant. I'm not going to risk my health so unless is approved by the FDA for reverse aging I'm not going to take it. If its less then 5 years fantastic that will be before I turn 45.
Even if it's approved by the FDA wouldn't it still be illegal to ask the doctor for it since you don't have diabetes?

Old 06-10-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Even if it's approved by the FDA wouldn't it still be illegal to ask the doctor for it since you don't have diabetes?
Not if its, also, approved for reverse aging. That is not uncommon. There are many drugs that have duel uses. Propecia is a good example. I'm not sure what its original use was but I use it to stop hair loss and while I have to pay full price it works quite well.

Old 06-10-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Not if its, also, approved for reverse aging. That is not uncommon. There are many drugs that have duel uses. Propecia is a good example. I'm not sure what its original use was but I use it to stop hair loss and while I have to pay full price it works quite well.
You would have to wait though, since the article says it would be approved for diabetes. Have they changed the laws where people who don't have a condition can buy these drugs under the table from doctors? I recall MJs case in which they said it was illegal for doctor Murray to be treating his insomnia with propofol. Also, in the 1980s HIV infected individuals would cross into Mexico to buy the antiviral ribavirin because in the U.S. it was only approved to treat respiratory infections (later approved to treat Hepatitis C) not the newly discoved HIV.

Old 06-10-2013, 07:37 PM

Quote:
You would have to wait though, since the article says it would be approved for diabetes. Have they changed the laws where people who don't have a condition can buy these drugs under the table from doctors? I recall MJs case in which they said it was illegal for doctor Murray to be treating his insomnia with propofol. Also, in the 1980s HIV infected individuals would cross into Mexico to buy the antiviral ribavirin because in the U.S. it was only approved to treat respiratory infections (later approved to treat Hepatitis C) not the newly discoved HIV.
I will admit 5 years is optimistic. 5-10 years is more conservative. So while I would love to be able to reverse my aging process by the time I am 45 more then likely it will be before I am 50. That being said I will keep watching it because as soon as I can reverse my age, and turn off my fat gene, I am doing it. Even if its out of pocket expense.

Last edited by Josseppie; 06-10-2013 at 07:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology