Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 03:25 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,470,623 times

Advertisements

Siri is by definition AI. Actually there is a lot of AI around people just don't realize its AI. As far as Siri. Its the first of its kind in a cell phone and is more advanced then a simple GPS as you can ask her questions and she will answer them. Granted this is the first generation so it is more basic but its here and one of the reasons I got the I Phone 4S so I could say I had the first AI cell phone.

This is on Siri from Hufinginton Post:

The world got its first inkling of the quick wit that would make Apple’s Siri an icon during a packed press conference held before an auditorium of tech elite. "Who are you?" an Apple executive asked the assistant. “I am a humble personal assistant,” Siri answered to appreciative laughter.

The link: SIRI RISING: The Inside Story Of Siri's Origins -- And Why She Could Overshadow The iPhone

Last edited by Josseppie; 06-05-2013 at 03:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 04:26 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Siri is by definition AI. Actually there is a lot of AI around people just don't realize its AI. As far as Siri. Its the first of its kind in a cell phone and is more advanced then a simple GPS as you can ask her questions and she will answer them. Granted this is the first generation so it is more basic but its here and one of the reasons I got the I Phone 4S so I could say I had the first AI cell phone.

This is on Siri from Hufinginton Post:

The world got its first inkling of the quick wit that would make Apple’s Siri an icon during a packed press conference held before an auditorium of tech elite. "Who are you?" an Apple executive asked the assistant. “I am a humble personal assistant,” Siri answered to appreciative laughter.

The link: SIRI RISING: The Inside Story Of Siri's Origins -- And Why She Could Overshadow The iPhone
I consider a true AI, a computer that is self aware and capable of higher thought processes. Siri is programmed to respond in that manner when asked those type of questions just as ASIMO and NAO androids are programmed to respond in similar manners.

Old 06-05-2013, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I consider a true AI, a computer that is self aware and capable of higher thought processes. Siri is programmed to respond in that manner when asked those type of questions just as ASIMO and NAO androids are programmed to respond in similar manners.
That is advanced AI and Siri is not programed to answer that. You ask Siri a question and the computer has to think about its answer.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
That is advanced AI and Siri is not programed to answer that. You ask Siri a question and the computer has to think about its answer.
And that is what we were discussing in regards to the blue brain project in order to create AI consciousness we need to fully understand our brain and mind which will likely take a long time just as we're taking a long time to comprehend our genome despite it having been completly mapped 17 years ago.

Old 06-05-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
And that is what we were discussing in regards to the blue brain project in order to create AI consciousness we need to fully understand our brain and mind which will likely take a long time just as we're taking a long time to comprehend our genome despite it having been completly mapped 17 years ago.
From watching and reading the reports on the Blue Brain Project they don't think it will take that long.

Now I have not watched this yet but I will tonight when I get a chance. Its a hour long talk and I think its on his book how to create a mind. I am hoping this will get into detail on the question you talk about. I might be jumping the gun though but thought I would post it now because once I get home I cant post links.

Old 06-05-2013, 08:41 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,602,143 times
Quote:
I heard Ray talk about that and his advise was to go after the degree you want. If you want a engineering degree I say go for it as crystalblue said once the singularity comes all jobs will change but you cant live your life today like it will be in 2030 or 2045.
Very good advice. I'll graduate college in 2019 if I go with engineering. After that, I'll go through a 10 year apprenticeship in a specialty. I really lean towards archecture, but my mother always tells me that anything art-related is useless. She really is pushing me towards pharmacy, but procedure doesn't turn on my deep craving for creating an endless stream of useful yet highly individual, original, and fulfilling artwork. I have a couriousity streak nearly as strong as my creative drive, and I would like to incorporate learning in there somewhere, too. My mother has told me that black-and-white, organized jobs are the safest. My intuition tells me that architecture, writing, and other arts will always have a niche in society, as there is always a market for perspective. Knowledge and mental pleasures shall usurp physical urges during the singularity.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:45 AM

Quote:
From watching and reading the reports on the Blue Brain Project they don't think it will take that long.

Now I have not watched this yet but I will tonight when I get a chance. Its a hour long talk and I think its on his book how to create a mind. I am hoping this will get into detail on the question you talk about. I might be jumping the gun though but thought I would post it now because once I get home I cant post links.

I saw this video this morning and the main thing I took for it was I need to read the book How to Create a Mind. My goal is have the book read by the end of the month and hopefully I will understand it enough, biology was not my strong area, where I can better explain why I think it wont take as long as you think to fully understand how the brain works and how that will impact AI. So at this point while I have a vague understanding, enough to confidentially say it wont take that long, I don't have the knowledge it would take to fully back up what I say. Since the purpose of this thread is to have that knowledge that is why I finally decided to read the book.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Very good advice. I'll graduate college in 2019 if I go with engineering. After that, I'll go through a 10 year apprenticeship in a specialty. I really lean towards archecture, but my mother always tells me that anything art-related is useless. She really is pushing me towards pharmacy, but procedure doesn't turn on my deep craving for creating an endless stream of useful yet highly individual, original, and fulfilling artwork. I have a couriousity streak nearly as strong as my creative drive, and I would like to incorporate learning in there somewhere, too. My mother has told me that black-and-white, organized jobs are the safest. My intuition tells me that architecture, writing, and other arts will always have a niche in society, as there is always a market for perspective. Knowledge and mental pleasures shall usurp physical urges during the singularity.
Sounds like a good plan to me. Just keep a eye on what is going on so if you need to modify it in the future you can.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
I saw this video this morning and the main thing I took for it was I need to read the book How to Create a Mind. My goal is have the book read by the end of the month and hopefully I will understand it enough, biology was not my strong area, where I can better explain why I think it wont take as long as you think to fully understand how the brain works and how that will impact AI. So at this point while I have a vague understanding, enough to confidentially say it wont take that long, I don't have the knowledge it would take to fully back up what I say. Since the purpose of this thread is to have that knowledge that is why I finally decided to read the book.
I'm using facts from other fields of biology (human genome project) while all you have is speculation and desire that feeds your blind optimism (no offence). Even looking at Ray's predictions he must have realized that it would take years considering he has a 16 year span from the time the project is finished to when we'll have a hyper intelligence. You admit that you have limited knowledge in biology yet you still feel it'll be a quick fix, you think computer programmers will do in a few years what biologists have not been able to in decades; it sounds ridiculous considering biology is not even their field?

P.S. - I apologize if the response sounds rude or like a rant, it's not my intention to offend anyone; I simply think it's frustrating to see people making predictions on things they don't fully understand.

Old 06-06-2013, 04:41 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,465,943 times
Quote:
I'm using facts from other fields of biology (human genome project) while all you have is speculation and desire that feeds your blind optimism (no offence). Even looking at Ray's predictions he must have realized that it would take years considering he has a 16 year span from the time the project is finished to when we'll have a hyper intelligence. You admit that you have limited knowledge in biology yet you still feel it'll be a quick fix, you think computer programmers will do in a few years what biologists have not been able to in decades; it sounds ridiculous considering biology is not even their field?

P.S. - I apologize if the response sounds rude or like a rant, it's not my intention to offend anyone; I simply think it's frustrating to see people making predictions on things they don't fully understand.
as an FYI, for some, the Singularity has become a religion of sorts. That should help you understand some things people say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology