Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2013, 08:40 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,500,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Like I said, science fiction is partly based on facts. You don't seem to shy away from that either as the prime directive idea you mentioned earlier comes from Star Trek. I also said that AIs not wanting to help or destroy us is one of many possibilities that not even Ray denies, but he's willing to take the risk in the event that the AIs do turn out to help us and make us immortal.
It's partly based on facts but more for a good story. While I use a few definitions from Star Trek I know our future will be nothing like it. Anything is possible but all my point is just like real life today more then likely our future will be nothing like in the science fiction movies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 12:46 PM

Some good news came across my news feed on Facebook today. These are things we are talking about so I thought I would post them here.

The first one is driverless cars. If they can accomplish this by 2016 my next SUV will be driverless!

JERUSALEM — Last month, on a freeway from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea, I sat in the driver’s seat of an Audi A7 while software connected to a video camera on the windshield drove the car at speeds up to 65 miles an hour — making a singular statement about the rapid progress in the development of self-driving cars.

As soon as this summer, the first limited systems offering a feature known as “traffic jam assist” will begin arriving from more than five major automobile makers. Those cars will drive safely in stop-and-go traffic, but will require that drivers keep their hands on the steering wheel. But more advanced systems will be introduced as early as 2016, according to Mobileye, and it was that advanced capability I experienced last month, during my foray in freeway traffic.

The link: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/28/sc...-car.html?_r=1&

************************************************** *********************************

The second is computes merging with humans. I have been talking about the 2020's but it looks like it will happen well before 2020 say 2015! This is exciting.

Memory Implants May Start Human Trials In 2 Years

A team of neuroscientists from the University of Southern California (USC), Wake Forest University (WFU), the University of Kentucky and DARPA have developed a memory implant technique that could help restore memories lost by stroke and localized brain injury.

The link: Memory Implants May Start Human Trials In 2 Years | Future Leap

This is for a specific purpose but honestly I could see it being used in perfectly good humans to enhance our memories. I would most defiantly be interested. So now instead of merging with computers by 2030 the actual date will be 2020.

Both of these are two more examples as to why I predict the singularity will become mainstream by 2019. I mean if by 2019 many of the cars are driverless and people have begun to merge with computers it will seem obvious to most where this is going.

Last edited by Josseppie; 05-28-2013 at 12:56 PM..

Old 05-28-2013, 01:31 PM

144 posts, read 304,602 times
Quote:
fortunately in the novel the humans who embrace the AIs don't destroy those who oppose it.
It is a very interesting theory, and seems like there could very possibly be a huge conflict between those who want things to stay more traditional, and those who want human-like, or even god-like AI. Hugo de Garis whose designing a computer brain for China wrote an interesting article about what he calls the "Artilect War".
The Coming Artilect War - Forbes.com
You guys ever read Future Timeline | Technology | Singularity | 2020 | 2050 | 2100 | 2150 | 2200 | 21st century | 22nd century | 23rd century | Humanity | Predictions | Events?
Very interesting site that has predictions by year, going far, far into the future. A lot of their predictions can seem questionable, a lot of them conflict with Kurzweil's predictions, and I tend to agree with Kurzweil on a lot. Apparently in 2015 scientists will bring back the Wooly Mammoth and we can go see them in zoos, and they could bring back other extinct species such as the sabretooth tiger. Also in 2015 3d printers will become more mainstream and commercially affordable and we can print things like jewelry out. Though according to that site it won't be till the late 22nd century, about 2090 if I recall, that we have full blown matter replicators, as seen on Star Trek, that can take cheap raw material and rearrange the necessary molecules to create all manner of consumer products, food, clothes, etc in your own home. It almost seems like they set that too far away, that's something it'd be cool to live to see.

Old 05-28-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeonHellLights View Post
It is a very interesting theory, and seems like there could very possibly be a huge conflict between those who want things to stay more traditional, and those who want human-like, or even god-like AI. Hugo de Garis whose designing a computer brain for China wrote an interesting article about what he calls the "Artilect War".
The Coming Artilect War - Forbes.com
You guys ever read Future Timeline | Technology | Singularity | 2020 | 2050 | 2100 | 2150 | 2200 | 21st century | 22nd century | 23rd century | Humanity | Predictions | Events?
Very interesting site that has predictions by year, going far, far into the future. A lot of their predictions can seem questionable, a lot of them conflict with Kurzweil's predictions, and I tend to agree with Kurzweil on a lot. Apparently in 2015 scientists will bring back the Wooly Mammoth and we can go see them in zoos, and they could bring back other extinct species such as the sabretooth tiger. Also in 2015 3d printers will become more mainstream and commercially affordable and we can print things like jewelry out. Though according to that site it won't be till the late 22nd century, about 2090 if I recall, that we have full blown matter replicators, as seen on Star Trek, that can take cheap raw material and rearrange the necessary molecules to create all manner of consumer products, food, clothes, etc in your own home. It almost seems like they set that too far away, that's something it'd be cool to live to see.
The thing is once we reach the singularity, 2045 according to Ray, all the models break down so it's impossible to know how things will advance etc.

Last edited by Josseppie; 05-28-2013 at 03:03 PM..

Old 05-28-2013, 03:32 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,608,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Some good news came across my news feed on Facebook today. These are things we are talking about so I thought I would post them here.

The first one is driverless cars. If they can accomplish this by 2016 my next SUV will be driverless!

JERUSALEM — Last month, on a freeway from Jerusalem to the Dead Sea, I sat in the driver’s seat of an Audi A7 while software connected to a video camera on the windshield drove the car at speeds up to 65 miles an hour — making a singular statement about the rapid progress in the development of self-driving cars.

As soon as this summer, the first limited systems offering a feature known as “traffic jam assist” will begin arriving from more than five major automobile makers. Those cars will drive safely in stop-and-go traffic, but will require that drivers keep their hands on the steering wheel. But more advanced systems will be introduced as early as 2016, according to Mobileye, and it was that advanced capability I experienced last month, during my foray in freeway traffic.

The link: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/28/sc...-car.html?_r=1&

************************************************** *********************************

The second is computes merging with humans. I have been talking about the 2020's but it looks like it will happen well before 2020 say 2015! This is exciting.

Memory Implants May Start Human Trials In 2 Years

A team of neuroscientists from the University of Southern California (USC), Wake Forest University (WFU), the University of Kentucky and DARPA have developed a memory implant technique that could help restore memories lost by stroke and localized brain injury.

The link: Memory Implants May Start Human Trials In 2 Years | Future Leap

This is for a specific purpose but honestly I could see it being used in perfectly good humans to enhance our memories. I would most defiantly be interested. So now instead of merging with computers by 2030 the actual date will be 2020.

Both of these are two more examples as to why I predict the singularity will become mainstream by 2019. I mean if by 2019 many of the cars are driverless and people have begun to merge with computers it will seem obvious to most where this is going.
I had already read an article about memory implants, the scientists said they'd test it on volunteers in 2015, but that it wouldn't be available to the public until 10 years later (so 2025). Once again just because we have the technology doesn't mean we'll use it right away.

A year or two ago I saw on CNN that they were working on a small robotic that would reach tumors and give chemotherapy directly into the tumor; they also said it would be 10 years or more before we'd see this in public.

For someone who's read a lot about science, I'm surprised you don't know how long medical treatment testing (especially new ones) take before they even consider using them humans. Also, do you even read all the article or simply the heading and the portions that suite your theory? The article you posted mentioned we'd still have a long way to go since we still have not unlocked the mysteries of the human mind we won't be able to store memories or data anytime soon.

Last edited by Canaan-84; 05-28-2013 at 03:51 PM..

Old 05-28-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
I had already read an article about memory implants, the scientists said they'd test it on volunteers in 2015, but that it wouldn't be available to the public until 10 years later (so 2025). Once again just because we have the technology doesn't mean we'll use it right away.

A year or two ago I saw on CNN that they were working on a small robotic that would reach tumors and give chemotherapy directly into the tumor; they also said it would be 10 years or more before we'd see this in public.

For someone who's read a lot about science, I'm surprised you don't know how long medical treatment testing (especially new ones) take before they even consider using them humans. Also, do you even read all the article or simply the heading and the portions that suite your theory? The article you posted mentioned we'd still have a long way to go since we still have not unlocked the mysteries of the human mind we won't be able to store memories or data anytime soon.
I read over it but when it comes to long term projections I tend to be optimistic because I know that if the trials work out good they will go to the public sooner. Either way that still holds true to what I have been saying that in the 2020's humans will merge with the computers and in fact it will be sooner.

The next 10 years will be very exciting that is for sure! Honestly this is the most optimistic about the future I have ever been in my life and that says a lot.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I read over it but when it comes to long term projections I tend to be optimistic because I know that if the trials work out good they will go to the public sooner. Either way that still holds true to what I have been saying that in the 2020's humans will merge with the computers and in fact it will be sooner.

The next 10 years will be very exciting that is for sure! Honestly this is the most optimistic about the future I have ever been in my life and that says a lot.
This technology is not what I would call merging, having an implant that simply improves memory is not the same as an implant that actually stores memory or data as you said would be possible by 2020s. This treatments are being developed to combat diseases and their affect on memory not to enchance our mental abilities.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:17 PM

Forgot to mention that it takes more than good test results to approve something, the reason it takes years of testing is because they want to make sure there's no long term side effects. You really should try reading more in depth about these things.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
This technology is not what I would call merging, having an implant that simply improves memory is not the same as an implant that actually stores memory or data as you said would be possible by 2020s. This treatments are being developed to combat diseases and their affect on memory not to enchance our mental abilities.
Its a implant and its merging with the neurons to improve memory. That is merging with technology. It will be interesting to see how they can use this.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Forgot to mention that it takes more than good test results to approve something, the reason it takes years of testing is because they want to make sure there's no long term side effects. You really should try reading more in depth about these things.
They always give themselves a cushion and yes I know I am optimistic but we will see soon enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology