Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2014, 10:21 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,470,623 times

Advertisements

^

Honestly I have read to many articles, seen to many lectures and tv shows on what will happen when the integrated circuit comes to a end to worry about it. The latest show was on Fox Business Network last week, Stossel. This is not new to the computer industry as we are on the 5th paradigm and it has had a good run, however, it will come to a end but like with paradigms before (like the vacuum tube) it will not mean the end of computers advancing exponentially it just means we will move to the next paradigm, the 3 D self organizing molecular circuit. Now will people still call it Moore's law? Maybe maybe not but computers will still be advancing exponentially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2014, 08:18 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,605,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
^

Honestly I have read to many articles, seen to many lectures and tv shows on what will happen when the integrated circuit comes to a end to worry about it. The latest show was on Fox Business Network last week, Stossel. This is not new to the computer industry as we are on the 5th paradigm and it has had a good run, however, it will come to a end but like with paradigms before (like the vacuum tube) it will not mean the end of computers advancing exponentially it just means we will move to the next paradigm, the 3 D self organizing molecular circuit. Now will people still call it Moore's law? Maybe maybe not but computers will still be advancing exponentially.
And even if we don't move to the next stage by the time Moore's law ends, many believe advancing will only slow down not completely stop. I guess we'll see in 10 years.

Old 06-23-2014, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
And even if we don't move to the next stage by the time Moore's law ends, many believe advancing will only slow down not completely stop. I guess we'll see in 10 years.
We should know before that. From what I have read the 3D self organizing molecular circuit will be ready between 2015 and 2020. Then the current integrated circuit will end as it gets down to 5nm between 2020 and 2025.

Old 06-25-2014, 03:46 PM

This is a interesting video talking about what is coming and why.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:11 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,271,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Yes, nanotechnology and printed organs etc could result in practical immortality, barring severe accidents. Oh, there was something involving telomeres also, preventing our dna from unravelling after their Hayflick Limit...... or something like that, further down the road.
Heinlein dealt with that in some of his novels. They used drugs and transplants and other things which were 'magic' but his theme was what living for a long long long life did to society. The oldest were the most powerful and those who served them got to have access to the technology. The man of fourty or fifty was just starting to get past step one. And the people who didn't get the magic lived and died in their subsociety in a normal span of life.

I hate to say it but if all this stuff does come to exist, I think the world will look a lot more like Heinlein and a lot less that the dreamers who love the lure of tech. Tech happens within a series of constraints be they monitary or social or genetic. No reason to expect things to change.

Old 06-25-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Heinlein dealt with that in some of his novels. They used drugs and transplants and other things which were 'magic' but his theme was what living for a long long long life did to society. The oldest were the most powerful and those who served them got to have access to the technology. The man of fourty or fifty was just starting to get past step one. And the people who didn't get the magic lived and died in their subsociety in a normal span of life.

I hate to say it but if all this stuff does come to exist, I think the world will look a lot more like Heinlein and a lot less that the dreamers who love the lure of tech. Tech happens within a series of constraints be they monitary or social or genetic. No reason to expect things to change.
I have not seen that particular movie but I have seen many fiction movies on the future and while they make for good movies the reality is life will not follow some Hollywood story line.

Old 06-25-2014, 06:13 PM

Exclamation Scientists develop a 'nanosubmarine' that delivers complementary molecules inside cells

This is yet another example of technology getting smaller so I thought I would post it.

This is from Phys.org:

With the continuing need for very small devices in therapeutic applications, there is a growing demand for the development of nanoparticles that can transport and deliver drugs to target cells in the human body.

Recently, researchers created nanoparticles that under the right conditions, self-assemble – trapping complementary guest molecules within their structure. Like tiny submarines, these versatile nanocarriers can navigate in the watery environment surrounding cells and transport their guest molecules through the membrane of living cells to sequentially deliver their cargo.

Read more at: Scientists develop a 'nanosubmarine' that delivers complementary molecules inside cells

Old 06-26-2014, 01:30 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,171,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post

Heinlein was a pure anarcho-capitalist, Ayn Rand style. My guess is that only countries with a cooperative mindset, everyone working together for common goals, will eventually prevail over the individual greed model of govt ...... Europe and Scandinavia will probably eventually offer these technologies as needed to poor as well as rich.... and eventually they won't have any poor citizens by today's standards.

Again, people who are healthy and have a decent income don't overbreed, so populations in those countries would remain stable.

Old 06-29-2014, 08:32 AM

1,594 posts, read 1,413,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring_natural View Post
For those of us who are aware about the ideas behind the Singularity, "transhumanism", post-scarcity, and how things could be rapidly converging to a point where things could likely become way better than anything we've ever imagined, why do you think the majority of our fellow human travelers have not even heard of or given thought about it yet? Would the world experience any changes if people became more aware of what may lead to happen, with sufficient collaborative effort?
Because the idea is mostly rubbish that appeals to "some" sci-fi geeks. As a sci-fi geek I think it is optimistic delusion.

I think we do have pose-scarcity with computers in the US. But how do people make money with it? We can never have enough useless changes in software. I have a Linux book from 2001 that talks about the planned obsolescence of software.

A $200 tablet has more than 100 times the processing power of a mainframe that cost millions in the 1980s. Processing power is not scarce. But the knowledge to use it. All of these school courses with different titles that barely explain what they teach about computers.

They are all von Neumann machines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNN_tTXABUA

What computer courses explain that so quickly? Our economic power games depend on delusions of scarcity if not real scarcity.

psik

Old 06-29-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psikeyhackr View Post
Because the idea is mostly rubbish that appeals to "some" sci-fi geeks. As a sci-fi geek I think it is optimistic delusion.

I think we do have pose-scarcity with computers in the US. But how do people make money with it? We can never have enough useless changes in software. I have a Linux book from 2001 that talks about the planned obsolescence of software.

A $200 tablet has more than 100 times the processing power of a mainframe that cost millions in the 1980s. Processing power is not scarce. But the knowledge to use it. All of these school courses with different titles that barely explain what they teach about computers.

They are all von Neumann machines:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNN_tTXABUA

What computer courses explain that so quickly? Our economic power games depend on delusions of scarcity if not real scarcity.

psik
So you agree that computers are advancing exponentially, however, you argue that the software is not keeping up? That is simply not true. Just look at the number of apps out there for the smart phone alone. Ray Kurzweil actually addressed that in his book:

In The Singularity Is Near, I address this issue at length, citing different methods of measuring complexity and capability in software that demonstrate a similar exponential growth. One recent study (“Report to the President and Congress, Designing a Digital Future: Federally Funded Research and Development in Networking and Information Technology” by the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology) states the following: “Even more remarkable—and even less widely understood—is that in many areas, performance gains due to improvements in algorithms have vastly exceeded even the dramatic performance gains due to increased processor speed.

The link: Kurzweil Responds: Don't Underestimate the Singularity | MIT Technology Review

So while this might look like some science fiction show its not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology