Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-09-2014, 04:06 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,516,052 times

Advertisements

One of the things we will have to worry about in the next 15 years is technological unemployment. No one wants to discuss it because no one has the answer. I saw this today so I thought I would post it here.

This is from AE Ideas:

Now even the big banks are talking about technological unemployment

You can be an optimist about the long-term direction of technological innovation and still have legit concerns about workers. Once the province of neo-Luddites, the idea of technological unemployment and a potential sharp divergence between the tech savvy and everyone else has gone mainstream among economists, as seen in such books as “Average is Over” and “The Second Machine Age.”

The link: Now even the big banks are talking about technological unemployment | AEIdeas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2014, 04:56 PM

Here is the latest article I read on the new 3D self organizing molecular circuits that will keep Moore's law going.

This is from IEEE Spectrum:

Last April, two separate research projects reported building transistors made entirely from two-dimensional (2-D) materials. Researchers at Argonne National Laboratory described in the journal Nano Letters that they had produced a transparent thin-film transistor (TFT) made from tungsten diselenide (WSe2) as the semiconducting layer, graphene for the electrodes and hexagonal boron nitride as the insulator.

Then, one week later, the journal ACS Nano published work from researchers at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory who had also built an all 2-D transistor that took the shape of a field emission transistor (FET). The Berkeley Lab FET had the same materials for its electrode and insulator layers as Argonne's TFT, but used molybdenum disulfide (MoS2) as the semiconducting layer.

The link: Transistors Made From 2-D Materials Promise New Class of Electronic Devices - IEEE Spectrum

Old 06-09-2014, 08:30 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,248,470 times
Interesting tidbit relating to AI:

Quote:
"On the Internet, nobody knows you’re a dog,” was the joke way back in 1993. Now, no one knows if you’re a human.
Humanity: We had a good run - NY Daily News

Old 06-09-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Interesting tidbit relating to AI:

Humanity: We had a good run - NY Daily News
I saw this. This is a good first step but we still have a lot father to go.

Old 06-09-2014, 08:49 PM

Another great example as to why I am not worried about what will happen when the current paradigm, the integrated circuit, comes to a end sometime in the 2020's. To set it up the next paradigm will be 3D self organizing molecular circuits. People have asked how I know if it will be ready in time and to post my information. Well I have been posting it on the 3D circuit well now I have one on the self assembly part. As I have read and posted this will occur between 2015 and 2020 and as it gets closer you see more and more articles on it.

This is from PHYS.ORG:

The days of self-assembling nanoparticles taking hours to form a film over a microscopic-sized wafer are over. Researchers with the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE)'s Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory have devised a technique whereby self-assembling nanoparticle arrays can form a highly ordered thin film over macroscopic distances in one minute.

Read more at: Researchers create nanoparticle thin films that self-assemble in one minute

Old 06-10-2014, 04:27 PM

Talking Your life is going to change faster than ever before

This is a interesting look as to what is coming in the next 15-20 years.

In his landmark book The Singularity is Near, Ray Kurzweil explains how information-based technologies progress at an exponential rate. For example, in 1972, the microprocessor of a personal computer could only perform 100,000 instructions per second (0.1 MIPS). In 1978 it was one million instructions per second (1 MIPS). In 1993, the Intel Pentium reached a speed of 100 MIPS. By 2002, a processing speed of 10,000 MIPS had become common. In the 30 years from 1972 to 2002 the speed of PC's increased 100,000 times. This trend is accelerating over time in a hyperbolic fashion, known as exponential growth.

The link: Your life is going to change faster than ever before -

Old 06-10-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I saw this. This is a good first step but we still have a lot father to go.
Yes, like maybe a hundred years or more (if they can really make a computer do everything the Human mind can do)...

Old 06-10-2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Yes, like maybe a hundred years or more (if they can really make a computer do everything the Human mind can do)...
According to Ray Kurzweil that will happen by 2029.

The link: Kurzweil Is Confident Machines Will Pass Turing Test by 2029 (video) | Singularity Hub

Old 06-11-2014, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
According to Ray Kurzweil that will happen by 2029.

The link: Kurzweil Is Confident Machines Will Pass Turing Test by 2029 (video) | Singularity Hub
Passing the Turing test does mean the system that beat it can perform all the functions a Human brain does.

The Turing test is based on a question and answer game, proposed by British mathematician and codebreaker Alan Turing, to distinguish humans from computers.

The above is a long long way from what a Human brain does...

Let us know when a computer smells something and that smell brings back <it's> childhood memories...

Let us know when the computer sees something and <it> suddenly develops hunger pangs...

Let us know when a computer can smell sounds, see smells and hear colors...

Old 06-11-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Passing the Turing test does mean the system that beat it can perform all the functions a Human brain does.

The Turing test is based on a question and answer game, proposed by British mathematician and codebreaker Alan Turing, to distinguish humans from computers.

The above is a long long way from what a Human brain does...

Let us know when a computer smells something and that smell brings back <it's> childhood memories...

Let us know when the computer sees something and <it> suddenly develops hunger pangs...

Let us know when a computer can smell sounds, see smells and hear colors...
Computers will let you know all that by 2029.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology