Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2013, 10:36 AM

32 posts, read 38,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
This from Time Magazine is the best way to respond to your statement:

The difficult thing to keep sight of when you're talking about the Singularity is that even though it sounds like science fiction, it isn't, no more than a weather forecast is science fiction. It's not a fringe idea; it's a serious hypothesis about the future of life on Earth. There's an intellectual gag reflex that kicks in anytime you try to swallow an idea that involves super-intelligent immortal cyborgs, but suppress it if you can, because while the Singularity appears to be, on the face of it, preposterous, it's an idea that rewards sober, careful evaluation.

Read more: Singularity: Kurzweil on 2045, When Humans, Machines Merge - TIME
Yeah, you know what, a popular magazine is not a reputable scientific source. Find something in Scientific America, Nature, Astrophysical Journal,... ect., Then I will be impressed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 10:46 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,544,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatocoenosis View Post
Yeah, you know what, a popular magazine is not a reputable scientific source. Find something in Scientific America, Nature, Astrophysical Journal,... ect., Then I will be impressed.
Not a problem. In fact one of the first times I read about the singularity was from the Scientific American. It was a article on my generation being able to live to see the new year 2100. I did not know what it was or anything about Ray Kurzweil. However, I read the article and told everyone about it. At the time I was busy with grad school so it would not be for another few years that I officially heard of the singularity.

Here is one article from the Scientific American:

Editor's Note: This article was originally printed in the 2008 Scientific American Special Report on Robots. It is being published on the Web as part of ScientificAmerican.com's In-Depth Report on Robots.

Sometime early in this century the intelligence of machines will exceed that of humans. Within a quarter of a century, machines will exhibit the full range of human intellect, emotions and skills, ranging from musical and other creative aptitudes to physical movement. They will claim to have feelings and, unlike today’s virtual personalities, will be very convincing when they tell us so. By around 2020 a $1,000 computer will at least match the processing power of the human brain. By 2029 the software for intelligence will have been largely mastered, and the average personal computer will be equivalent to 1,000 brains.

The link: The Coming Merging of Mind and Machine: Scientific American

Note: If you click the links there are even more articles on the subject.

Old 06-21-2013, 01:19 PM

Talking Self-assembling computer chips

As I posted the next paradigm is 3D self organizing molicular structures. Well science is already working on it. Now granted they have a way to go before its practical but they still have about 10 years before the current paradigm, the integrated circuit, runs out of steam. By then this new paradigm should be ready to take over.

This is from 2010 MIT News:

The features on computer chips are getting so small that soon the process used to make them, which has hardly changed in the last 50 years, won’t work anymore. One of the alternatives that academic researchers have been exploring is to create tiny circuits using molecules that automatically arrange themselves into useful patterns. In a paper that appeared Monday in Nature Nanotechnology, MIT researchers have taken an important step toward making that approach practical.

The link: Self-assembling computer chips - MIT News Office

Last edited by Josseppie; 06-21-2013 at 01:32 PM..

Old 06-21-2013, 04:25 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,612,093 times
Quote:
Not a problem. In fact one of the first times I read about the singularity was from the Scientific American. It was a article on my generation being able to live to see the new year 2100. I did not know what it was or anything about Ray Kurzweil. However, I read the article and told everyone about it. At the time I was busy with grad school so it would not be for another few years that I officially heard of the singularity.

Here is one article from the Scientific American:

Editor's Note: This article was originally printed in the 2008 Scientific American Special Report on Robots. It is being published on the Web as part of ScientificAmerican.com's In-Depth Report on Robots.

Sometime early in this century the intelligence of machines will exceed that of humans. Within a quarter of a century, machines will exhibit the full range of human intellect, emotions and skills, ranging from musical and other creative aptitudes to physical movement. They will claim to have feelings and, unlike today’s virtual personalities, will be very convincing when they tell us so. By around 2020 a $1,000 computer will at least match the processing power of the human brain. By 2029 the software for intelligence will have been largely mastered, and the average personal computer will be equivalent to 1,000 brains.

The link: The Coming Merging of Mind and Machine: Scientific American

Note: If you click the links there are even more articles on the subject.
I wouldn't waste my time, he/she seems to pick and chose what to respond to. Notice how they have said nothing about Europe funding the a blue brain project of their own with 1.3 billion dollars. As I told him/her no one shells out that kind of money for a quack theory there has to be evidence to back it.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I wouldn't waste my time, he/she seems to pick and chose what to respond to. Notice how they have said nothing about Europe funding the a blue brain project of their own with 1.3 billion dollars. As I told him/her no one shells out that kind of money for a quack theory there has to be evidence to back it.
Its not a waste of time and I don't want the posters opinions to go unchallenged so that way if someone does read this with no knowledge of the singularity they wont be left with miss information. Honestly I have studied this subject enough so I feel confident that I can properly respond to any legitimate criticism the poster might have on it.

Old 06-21-2013, 10:51 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,612,281 times
Will there be shapeshifters? Intrigue? If one could know the expiriences of other forms, there would be less fighting…

Old 06-22-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Will there be shapeshifters? Intrigue? If one could know the expiriences of other forms, there would be less fighting…
In virtual reality we will.

Old 06-22-2013, 07:39 AM

Quote:
If I had money I'd want to have at least one normal child before the singularity hit not some cyborg child if what you say will happen does in fact happen.
If this was 1963 I would be focused on starting a family. However, my view of my future has completely changed since I became aware of the singularity. The way I look at it what's 10 years? That won't be the singularity but we should have reverse aging and the ability to turn off our fat gene. Then life is a whole new ball game.

The best way to say it is in some ways I feel like I did when I was a teenager. I have this whole life ahead of me but this time literarily anything is possible. So I'm doing the best I can now to make sure I'm in the best position possible to take advantage of that. Currently kids are not part of that Equation. Will they be later say the next century? Maybe the way I figure it I will worry about that then.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:01 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,612,093 times
Quote:
If this was 1963 I would be focused on starting a family. However, my view of my future has completely changed since I became aware of the singularity. The way I look at it what's 10 years? That won't be the singularity but we should have reverse aging and the ability to turn off our fat gene. Then life is a whole new ball game.

The best way to say it is in some ways I feel like I did when I was a teenager. I have this whole life ahead of me but this time literarily anything is possible. So I'm doing the best I can now to make sure I'm in the best position possible to take advantage of that. Currently kids are not part of that Equation. Will they be later say the next century? Maybe the way I figure it I will worry about that then.
I see, though I have doubts about reverse aging being available in 2025, I have yet to see any evidence that we're near. We can't even rejuvenate mice much less a more complex organism like us.

Old 06-22-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
I see, though I have doubts about reverse aging being available in 2025, I have yet to see any evidence that we're near. We can't even rejuvenate mice much less a more complex organism like us.
Everything I have read shows that we are on the cusp. We know what has to be done and are working on ways to do it. Science has even developed the way to develop the drugs. Now they just need to develop the drugs. People from Venor Vinge to Ray Kurzweil say that by 2024 we will have it and they don't come up with the numbers randomly but back it up with models. Ever since I tuned 40 my goal has been to never hit 50 biologically speaking. I am going to do all I can so that by that time I have reversed age so I will look like I am in my early 20's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology