Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2013, 04:52 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,606,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Everything I have read shows that we are on the cusp. We know what has to be done and are working on ways to do it. Science has even developed the way to develop the drugs. Now they just need to develop the drugs. People from Venor Vinge to Ray Kurzweil say that by 2024 we will have it and they don't come up with the numbers randomly but back it up with models. Ever since I tuned 40 my goal has been to never hit 50 biologically speaking. I am going to do all I can so that by that time I have reversed age so I will look like I am in my early 20's.
The drugs you have posted about merely extend health which indirectly extends life but it does not make you younger. First we'd have to accomplish it in mice then higher order animals to see if it would work for them and finally humans and that will take years in order to see if there are no adverse side effects later on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2013, 05:22 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,481,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
The drugs you have posted about merely extend health which indirectly extends life but it does not make you younger. First we'd have to accomplish it in mice then higher order animals to see if it would work for them and finally humans and that will take years in order to see if there are no adverse side effects later on.
Look at this video:

http://bigthink.com/videos/biotechno...ill-stop-aging

Bridge 2 is 15 years away and this was in 2009 so that would be 2024. It will, also, be done in steps so I suspect you will see in a bit sooner especially for people who can afford it and honestly I plan on being in the first group.

Plus if you remember the breakthrough I posted about that will allow for a whole new class of drugs on anti aging. This is 2013 imagine what they will have in 10 years....

Last edited by Josseppie; 06-22-2013 at 05:30 PM..

Old 06-22-2013, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Look at this video:

Biotechnology Will Stop Aging | Ray Kurzweil | Big Think

Bridge 2 is 15 years away and this was in 2009 so that would be 2024. It will, also, be done in steps so I suspect you will see in a bit sooner especially for people who can afford it and honestly I plan on being in the first group.
First we have to see if these studies are successful you're already assuming they're a done deal and like I said before medicine does not work that way, they need to test for adverse side effects first in order to prevent killing or harming people's health. Even if they manage to rejuvenate a rat in 2024 they'd have to move to higher order animals next and finally humans and that could take anywhere from 10-20 years depending on the funding and how well the procedure works on subsequent experiments and animals.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
First we have to see if these studies are successful you're already assuming they're a done deal and like I said before medicine does not work that way, they need to test for adverse side effects first in order to prevent killing or harming people's health. Even if they manage to rejuvenate a rat in 2024 they'd have to move to higher order animals next and finally humans and that could take anywhere from 10-20 years depending on the funding and how well the procedure works on subsequent experiments and animals.
I don't think it will be as long as you think..........

Old 06-22-2013, 06:23 PM

Quote:
I don't think it will be as long as you think..........
That's merely your opinion, I'm telling you how the pharmaceutical companies work as well as biological science we don't just start giving people a treatment because it worked on a rat; if you truly do research you should know this. I have spoken to people who work for pharmaceutical companies and they have told me that in the past they had drugs that worked wonders on mice, but when given to higher order animals it had no effect or actually turned out to be harmful so they never reached human trials.

I also used the example of the memory implants; the experiment will last 10 years (2015-2025) and the researchers said it would be used to help those with brain disorders not to enhance normal people's memory. That study shows you how long they have to test these new treatments to make sure it's completely safe yet you think it'll immediately become available because it worked on rats. I think your extreme optimism actually hurts the cause and makes people like Thanatocoenosis very skeptical on these issues because you really do seem like a religious zealot who can't see beyond 1 outcome.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:27 PM

It's not me. I don't come up with the numbers. It's people like Ray Kurzweil and Verner Vinge. They back it up with models which is why I tend to believe what they say. Their reasoning is the medical field is now information technology thus advancing exponentially. That is why what seems will take decades will only take a few years.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:
It's not me. I don't come up with the numbers. It's people like Ray Kurzweil and Verner Vinge. They back it up with models which is why I tend to believe what they say.
No mathematical equation can tell us if a drug that worked on a rat will work on a human. Stop equating computer science with all other scientific branches.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:34 PM

Quote:
No mathematical equation can tell us if a drug that worked on a rat will work on a human. Stop equating computer science with all other scientific branches.
You can't pick and choose with what you believe when it comes to the singularity. Either he is right or wrong. He includes the medical field as information technology and that is why he says by 2024 life expectancy will go up faster then we age.

Old 06-22-2013, 06:56 PM

I found this on the topic. In it it says before 2030 and Ray has been consistent in saying 2023-2028 or before 2030. I go with the optimistic date because I figure that is when it will start but be expensive and I am willing to spend the money it takes to be among the first people to become and stay young.

The article:

Award-winning author Ray Kurzweil supports this optimistic view. In a recent interview Kurzweil said, "We will soon develop ways to stop and reverse aging.” By 2030 or before, we will program tiny nanobots to travel throughout the body and replace aging cells. They will repair bones and muscles, fight germs, fix mutant DNA, and even make us smarter.

The link: Positive Futurist - Eternal youth, perfect health possible by 2030, experts say

Old 06-22-2013, 07:09 PM

Quote:
You can't pick and choose with what you believe when it comes to the singularity. Either he is right or wrong. He includes the medical field as information technology and that is why he says by 2024 life expectancy will go up faster then we age.
There is also another option, that he is right but that his dates are way off, some predictions point to singularity happening in 2070, in fact in the wikipage that mentions a meeting with several computer programmers it's stated that predictions range from 5-100 years into the future. I'm also not sure if Ray has always predicted 2045 as being the singularity date because in his previous books (the ones from the 90s) he was predicting technologies beyond 2045 which would make no sense because according to him you can't predict anything after the singularity. So I'm assuming that in the 90s he had a much later date set for the singularity?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology