Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2013, 06:37 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,491,185 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I still don't think we're at that point, the computer is still following the input it was given by the human. At least in the TIME magazine I read Ray was discussing scientists that were themselves computers and those computers have not reached awareness yet. At this point its no different than automation machines (from factories) doing what the human programs them to do.
As soon as I find the video I will post it.

I do agree we are not there yet. However, this is a good first step.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 07:58 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,604,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Not sure what time travel has to do with the singularity, but no, I don't think travel to the past is likely, with one possibly exception. If you travel to the future, a return trip to the past would probably be no farther than just after the point from which you originally took off from. The problem is that time always seems to "move" in one direction - toward the future. That's known as the "Arrow of Time". Interestingly though, our view of everything is always of the past because it takes time for photons to reach your eyes and for your brain to process what you see.. We can never actually see the future. We can only make predictions based on what we've observed from the past. On the other hand, if time can be split into different outcomes or timelines, then it's conceivable you could travel into the past. However, the catch is that it's not necessarily your own past, but rather the past of some other version of you. Such a journey could be a one-way trip, so to speak, because you might never be able to find your own timeline. It could be pretty strange if you traveled to the future, then returned to your own past, even back to just after the point where you began. The reason being that you might find yourself stuck in a space-time continuum bumping into yourself. You can't occupy the same exact position in space and time that's already occupied.
So, from what I can tell…

Time travel is still a shady topic…

What would happen if two objects tried to occupy one space?

Old 06-23-2013, 08:03 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,604,431 times
I tried talking to my mother about the singularity and it mortified her.

She believes that defiling the body in any way will allow demons to use bad magic and destroy it. She also believes that virtual reality is essentially handing your mind over to demonic forces and that a person involved in virtual reality is opening themselves up to demonic possession.

Will she go insane in 2045?

I'm a little worried about how she'll take it when it gets here and she thinks everyone is a demonic netherbeast that must be vanquished…

Old 06-23-2013, 08:06 PM

32 posts, read 38,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Here is one article from the Scientific American:

Editor's Note: This article was originally printed in the 2008 Scientific American Special Report on Robots. It is being published on the Web as part of ScientificAmerican.com's In-Depth Report on Robots.
While I didn't read the it, I have no doubt that I would agree with most everything written in the article. However, it was a special report. Special reports are not peer reviewed, but generally, they represent a consensus of current thought.

I will read it, but I doubt that Kurzweil included some of his more, shall we say, controversial, ideals in the submission.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatocoenosis View Post
While I didn't read the it, I have no doubt that I would agree with most everything written in the article. However, it was a special report. Special reports are not peer reviewed, but generally, they represent a consensus of current thought.

I will read it, but I doubt that Kurzweil included some of his more, shall we say, controversial, ideals in the submission.
While your at it read the article by the MIT News. This has nothing to do with Ray Kurzweil and the singularity but does talk about how science is working on the next paradigm.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:54 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,078,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiring_natural View Post
For those of us who are aware about the ideas behind the Singularity, "transhumanism", post-scarcity, and how things could be rapidly converging to a point where things could likely become way better than anything we've ever imagined, why do you think the majority of our fellow human travelers have not even heard of or given thought about it yet? Would the world experience any changes if people became more aware of what may lead to happen, with sufficient collaborative effort?
It's simply called death.

The next stage of existence.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
It's simply called death.

The next stage of existence.
I don't think you understand the singularity. The singularity is when humans and computers merge sometime between 2030 and 2045.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:43 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,078,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I don't think you understand the singularity. The singularity is when humans and computers merge sometime between 2030 and 2045.
I understand it perfectly.

It is not a physical merge on our plane of existence.

Old 06-24-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
I understand it perfectly.

It is not a physical merge on our plane of existence.
So are you saying humans will not merge with computers?

Old 06-24-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Sure, but sometimes the answers may not always be what we'd like it or think it should be.

It wasn't a question about whether time travel can be done. We're all time travelers - toward the future. Not only can it be done, but it has been done using sychronized atomic clocks, albeit not a blazingly fast difference.

However, the question was about time travel to the past. And that's a whole 'nuther ball game.

I agree with you. A lot of things that were once science fiction are now science fact. That still doesn't mean that all science fiction will eventually become science fact though. And just because you can see evidence of past events, doesn't mean you can go there to personally experience those events at the time they happened.
Maybe it's possibly maybe it's not. Honestly I figure we will know in due time and I'm in now rush because I know there will be a answer in my lifetime.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology