Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 08:00 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,456,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
The difference being that I have evidence to back my view while you have desire and speculation on your side.
No. If you read Ray Kurzweils book he address that issue. In the next 15 to 30 years technology will be changing so fast the FDA will have to change its policy as the current one will be outdated. We are already moving in that direction with hundrededs of thousands of people starting to merge with computers. I posted a article on that subject. So by the time the 2020's and especially the 2030's get here it will just be a continuation of the progress we are already seeing and it will seem normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 10:23 AM

5,462 posts, read 9,633,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
No. If you read Ray Kurzweils book he address that issue. In the next 15 to 30 years technology will be changing so fast the FDA will have to change its policy as the current one will be outdated. We are already moving in that direction with hundrededs of thousands of people starting to merge with computers. I posted a article on that subject. So by the time the 2020's and especially the 2030's get here it will just be a continuation of the progress we are already seeing and it will seem normal.
Hundreds of thousands of people starting to merge with computers? Perhaps it would be helpful to define what you mean by that. You're definition seems to fluctuate a lot which makes it a bit difficult. If you've already posted an article about it, please list the page# and post#. One of the problems I'm having is your continued referrals to Ray Kurzwell. It's not that Kurzwell isn't an intelligent man, but the constant referrals to him makes it seem as though you see him as some kind of cultic guru who has the last word in all things.

With regard to quantum effects and human intelligence, here's an interesting article about the debate. Could super-tiny quantum computers be implanted in the brain? The jury is still out on the subject. My opinion is probably not any time in the foreseeable future. Even if computers can contain millions of times more information than the human brain, it would have to be accessed remotely, which boils down to being what current computers are - tools, libraries of information that can be used to access information as needed. There are still many pros and cons to the subject. To say this WILL happen within a certain period of time is pure speculation. We don't know for sure, and we won't know until it does.
Could Quantum Brain Effects Explain Consciousness? | Quantum Consciousness | LiveScience

Some other interesting articles looking at the debate.
Tests Tells Real Quantum Computer Chips from Fakes | TechNewsDaily.com

Is Quantum Computing real?

Google's Quantum Computer Proven To Be Real Thing (Almost) | Wired Enterprise | Wired.com

However, I do agree with you that whatever progress develops in the future, it will simply be a continuation of what is available now, only better. People can and do adapt to various changes, especially when they're gradually made more commonly available. Whether we'll really be smarter because of it remains to be seen.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
Hundreds of thousands of people starting to merge with computers? Perhaps it would be helpful to define what you mean by that. You're definition seems to fluctuate a lot which makes it a bit difficult. If you've already posted an article about it, please list the page# and post#.
I will just repost the article:

We live in a world full of cyborgs, though most of us don't notice it. More than 200,000 men and women around the world wear cochlear implants - devices that look like hearing aids, but which actually convert sounds into direct nerve impulses that travel down the auditory nerve bundle and into the wearer's brain.

The link: The Cyborg Age is Upon Us

Quote:
One of the problems I'm having is your continued referrals to Ray Kurzwell. It's not that Kurzwell isn't an intelligent man, but the constant referrals to him makes it seem as though you see him as some kind of cultic guru who has the last word in all things.
Ray is one of the first people to put it all together in a way that made sense. Venor Vinge was another one and Dr Deter Diamandis another one. While most of the things he talks about are excepted in the scientific community the way he extrapolates how they will advance is what he specializes in. That is why when I talk about specific events like the Blue Brain Project, or the breakthrough in human - computer interface I use other examples but when I talk about what that means to the future I go back to Ray Kurzweil. I hope that made sense.

Quote:
With regard to quantum effects and human intelligence, here's an interesting article about the debate. Could super-tiny quantum computers be implanted in the brain? The jury is still out on the subject. My opinion is probably not any time in the foreseeable future. Even if computers can contain millions of times more information than the human brain, it would have to be accessed remotely, which boils down to being what current computers are - tools, libraries of information that can be used to access information as needed. There are still many pros and cons to the subject. To say this WILL happen within a certain period of time is pure speculation. We don't know for sure, and we won't know until it does.
Could Quantum Brain Effects Explain Consciousness? | Quantum Consciousness | LiveScience

Some other interesting articles looking at the debate.
Tests Tells Real Quantum Computer Chips from Fakes | TechNewsDaily.com

Is Quantum Computing real?

Google's Quantum Computer Proven To Be Real Thing (Almost) | Wired Enterprise | Wired.com

However, I do agree with you that whatever progress develops in the future, it will simply be a continuation of what is available now, only better. People can and do adapt to various changes, especially when they're gradually made more commonly available. Whether we'll really be smarter because of it remains to be seen.
I will read what you posted. Honestly I am not sure what you mean by foreseeable future. If you mean in the next few years I would agree. From what I have read I think we wont see much till the early 2020's after they have reversed engineered the brain. Hopefully by 2019 but possibly not till 2023.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:52 AM

Exclamation Technological Unemployment

I was watching Modern Marvels on milk last night on the science channel. I had no idea this was going to give a example of technological unemployment but it did. It talked about how milking cows is going automated thus needing less people. This show had nothing to do with the singularity yet even it shows how computers are going to change the life of everyone.

I was able to find the show on youtube as well. Go to 3:30 into the show to see what I am talking about.

Now they don't actually talk about technological unemployment, that was not the focus of the video, but obviously it takes less people then it did before.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:14 AM

Exclamation China’s Tianhe-2 Doubles World’s Top Supercomputing Speed Two Years Ahead Of Schedule

China is doing good when it comes to Supercomputers but it looks like the Unites States is the undisputed champion in that area.

Another thing is how the new computer is actually ahead of schedule from where More's law says we should be. Now I don't anticipate this to last but its interesting when skeptics say we are slowing down as this proof that is not happening.

This is the latest article on it:

China is now a recognized supercomputing power. The country boasts 66 machines on the Top500, over twice Japan’s 30 and a total second only to the US. Top500 editor, Jack Dongarra, who toured the Tianhe-2 facility and wrote a paper on the supercomputer earlier this year, says it’s notable that, apart from its processors and coprocessors, Tianhe-2 is entirely of Chinese make.

Even as China’s star is on the rise, the US remains undisputed hegemon. The US is home to 252 supercomputers, or 50% of the Top500 list, and American companies IBM, Cray, Nvidia, and Intel still provide the hardware and know-how behind most of the world’s fastest machines.

The link: China’s Tianhe-2 Doubles World’s Top Supercomputing Speed Two Years Ahead Of Schedule | Singularity Hub

Old 07-01-2013, 04:58 PM

Exclamation Tiny Eye Telescope Brings Back A World Of Sight

I think this article from PBS shows that the FDA will not take 10 - 20 years to approve computer implants. It will, also, add the number of people merging with computers by a few million.

This is the story from PBS.

The Food and Drug Administration has approved a new treatment that could help millions of older adults who are nearly blinded by macular degeneration. It’s a miniature telescope implanted directly into the eye that magnifies images to more than twice their size.

Findings from the clinical trials show that the telescope does improve vision for the majority of patients. Still, there are some concerns about corneal damage, since the telescope is relatively large inside the eye. And the population who might benefit from the new device is somewhat limited. The treatment doesn't work for those who have had cataract surgery. And for those who catch the disease early on, there may be better options.

The link: Tiny Eye Telescope Brings Back A World Of Sight : NPR

Old 07-01-2013, 06:15 PM

Exclamation Neuroscientist claims head transplants now a realistic procedure

Ya. Um even I am speechless on this one.......

We can grow ears in the lab, restore hearing and sight in many cases, and fully working robotic prosthetic hands are now a reality. So it seems like was only a matter of time before we conquered the most outlandish of all medical feats ever imagined: a full human head transplant.

In a paper published in the June issue of Surgical Neurology International, researchers describe a method of actually transplanting a human head through advanced neurosurgery. Creepily code-named HEAVEN/GEMINI (Head Anastomosis Venture with Cord Fusion) the process is outlined by Dr. Sergio Canavero of Italy's Turin Advanced Neuromodulation Group.

The link: Neuroscientist claims head transplants now a realistic procedure | DVICE

As a side note this reminds me of a Golden Girls episode:

Old 07-01-2013, 06:37 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,604,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
I will just repost the article:

We live in a world full of cyborgs, though most of us don't notice it. More than 200,000 men and women around the world wear cochlear implants - devices that look like hearing aids, but which actually convert sounds into direct nerve impulses that travel down the auditory nerve bundle and into the wearer's brain.

The link: The Cyborg Age is Upon Us

Ray is one of the first people to put it all together in a way that made sense. Venor Vinge was another one and Dr Deter Diamandis another one. While most of the things he talks about are excepted in the scientific community the way he extrapolates how they will advance is what he specializes in. That is why when I talk about specific events like the Blue Brain Project, or the breakthrough in human - computer interface I use other examples but when I talk about what that means to the future I go back to Ray Kurzweil. I hope that made sense.

I will read what you posted. Honestly I am not sure what you mean by foreseeable future. If you mean in the next few years I would agree. From what I have read I think we wont see much till the early 2020's after they have reversed engineered the brain. Hopefully by 2019 but possibly not till 2023.
And I bet all those implants were tested for years before even going on the market which further proves my point.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:14 PM

Exclamation Meet the man with a battery-operated brain

There is yet another example of humans merging with computers that came across my Facebook page. Again fast forward 10-15 years and imagine what it will be like.

This is from Dvice:

Cyber AJ, the man with a battery-operated brain, has Parkinson's disease. Diagonosed four years ago at the age of 35, Cyber AJ underwent an incredible surgical procedure that has recently given him a second chance at a more normal life. It also turned him into a cyborg.

You see, Cyber AJ has a series of electrodes embedded deep in his brain. They're connected to a central unit the size of a stopwatch, which is in turn wired to a pacemaker in his chest. None of this, however, is readily apparent when you look at Cyber AJ. All the electronics and their wiring are internal, except for AJ's remote control.

The link: Meet the man with a battery-operated brain | DVICE

Old 07-02-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
And I bet all those implants were tested for years before even going on the market which further proves my point.
If you look at what the FDA is approving including the procedure to help people see, note post #577, the rate at which they are approving the new technology is not 5-10 years because we did not have the technology 5 or more years ago. Now I do think in the 2020's and especially in the 2030's, after the singularity, the entire approval process will have to be changed but it will just like everything else in this world after the singularity. Super fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology