Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2013, 07:13 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,515,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I saw Man of Steel last night. That was pretty advanced technology…

Hopefully our lawmakers won't be blockheads and destroy the world like in the movie…
That was one part I did not like. A type 1 society, which they obviously were, could not be destroyed like that. However they had to follow the comic strip so their hands were tied. However if you look past that to how they advanced for 100,000 years that is how we should advance as explained by Ray Kuwzweil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2013, 11:37 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,608,323 times
In my book, nanobots can do anything…

Old 06-19-2013, 02:17 PM

^

It will.

Also I saw this on living forever. Its not new but since the conference is I thought I would post it.

This is from MSNBC:

Immortality may not be a reality yet, but rapidly evolving technology is making it more realistic, Google's engineering director told the Global Future 2045 World Congress.

"The life expectancy was 20 1,000 years ago. ... We doubled it in 200 years. This will go into high gear within 10 and 20 years from now, probably less than 15 we will be reaching that tipping point where we add more time than has gone by because of scientific progress," said Ray Kurzweil. "Somewhere between 10 and 20 years, there is going to be tremendous transformation of health and medicine."

The link: http://www.cnbc.com/id/100818858

I, also, found this web page on 2045: http://www.2045.com/

Old 06-19-2013, 05:28 PM

32 posts, read 38,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
Actually, this thread is a discussion of the theories first proposed by Ray Kurzweill.
Those are not theories, they are suppositions. Again, this thread belongs in a religious/philosophy forum.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanatocoenosis View Post
Those are not theories, they are suppositions. Again, this thread belongs in a religious/philosophy forum.
They are theories and laws and mathitacal models on how information technology advances and the impact it will have on society. This has nothing to do with religion and philosophy and that is why it is in this forum.

Old 06-20-2013, 06:11 AM

32 posts, read 38,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
They are theories and laws and mathitacal models on how information technology advances and the impact it will have on society. This has nothing to do with religion and philosophy and that is why it is in this forum.
If you would be so kind, please enlighten me. What are those theories, and the hypotheses that led to the theories? What are the laws(which is kind of strange because laws and theories are two separate entities)?. Too, please present the math behind the models... if it is advanced, just copy and paste it, please.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-20-2013, 07:03 AM

Quote:
If you would be so kind, please enlighten me. What are those theories, and the hypotheses that led to the theories? What are the laws(which is kind of strange because laws and theories are two separate entities)?. Too, please present the math behind the models... if it is advanced, just copy and paste it, please.

Thanks in advance.
Sure. Two that come to mind are:

The law of accelerating returns.

Moore's Law

And the singularity could be seen as a theory based on the laws above.

This short 8 minute video is full of graphs and mathematical models. They were figured out by Ray Kurzweil who is the director of engineering at Google.

Ray Kurzweil: Living In the Cloud - YouTube

If you want to see how he came up with it in detail including how he backed it up I suggest 2 books to read:

The singularity is near

How to create a mind

Both by Ray Kurzweil

There are, also, longer videos on YouTube where he goes into more detail. If you want to see them I would be more then happy to post the links or just go to YouTube and type his name.

Last edited by Josseppie; 06-20-2013 at 08:17 AM..

Old 06-20-2013, 12:49 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,609,746 times
Quote:
I'm not planning on having kids. I'm gay so that is not that hard to plan.

They are already working on clinical studies on memory enhancing computers but from what I have read I think we will have the ability to enhance out immunize system and live longer before computers will be advanced enough to radically enhance our cognitive ability.

Edit: I have been thinking how to say this. I think between now and 2030 we will see a lot of steps which is why I think the pre singularity is in the 2020's and the singularity will start around 2030. I mean by the 2030's life will be radically different then it is today.
You seem to have money, so having children wouldn't be a problem you could get a surrogate mother just like Ricky Martin and Ronaldo (Real Madrid soccer player).

Old 06-20-2013, 12:58 PM

Quote:
I thought this was interesting. In 2013 this is the fastest computer in the world. My understanding its that is fast enough to simulate the human brain but obviously its not used for that.

The new computer, called a Tianhe-2, or Milkyway-2, was built at the National University of Defense Technology in Changsha, China. At its peak, it can perform at a speed of nearly 55 petaflops – with a petaflop akin to one thousand trillion instructions per second. The previous record-holder, announced last November, had a peak performance of 27.1 petaflops. Five years ago, a single petaflop machine was record-breaking.

In addition to the usual supercomputing tasks like weather analysis or geophysical research, makers of the new supercomputer also listed its capabilities for Big Data analysis. The Tianhe-2 can process 600 terabytes of data on just 1,024 of its 16,000 computing nodes.

The article said:

Intel doesn’t want to sell its biggest computers to researchers and the world’s armies; it wants to sell them to companies like Amazon for its Amazon Web Services.

The link: Supercomputing for Everyone - NYTimes.com

This is why right now computers like this are not used for scientific purposes like reverse engineering the brain. However with how computers double every 11 months this will change in the next 5 years.

I want to add that even though they are not being used for research its kind of surreal to think we live in a world with super computers powerful enough to simulate the human brain.
So China has it? Didn't someone discuss earlier how it would be dangerous if an unfriendly country reached the singularity before the U.S.? I believe you waved the thought away, but if they're beating us with supercomputers it now seems like that other member's concern was not so far fetched.

Old 06-20-2013, 01:13 PM

Quote:

Thanks in advance.
I can understand why people would see this as science fiction, but real computer programmers are predicting this event and while predictions on the date of the singularity vary; if you took the average of the predictions it would happen around 2040. However, as someone already mentioned Ray Kurzweil (director of engineering of Google and award winning inventor) the most prominent proponent believes it will happen in 2045.

These things could lead to it if they become susccesful:

Moore's Law continues: - though most believe it will end or stall in the 2020s if no new replacement for the integrated chip is found.

Blue Brain Project - several countries and researchers are involved with the project of reverse engineering the human brain. They predict they could have it done by 2019-2023 and if successful we could be seeing AI with human intelligence a few years after the completion of the project.

Furthermore, 20-30 years later that could lead to an AI that is far more intelligent than all human minds combined. After that no one knows what will happen; all the things the other members here are talking about such as human/machine hybrids, genetic engineering, nanotechnology, interstellar space travel can occur,. However, others have a more pessimistic view such as governments gaining control of technology and turning their countries into nanny states or the AIs can turn on us and kill us all or the AIs think we're not worth their time and they build a space ship and leave the planet to continue their advancements outside of human observations.

That's why it's called the singularity because no one knows what will happen after the creation of the hyper intelligence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology