Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2014, 12:42 AM

12,262 posts, read 24,473,223 times

Advertisements

This is a interesting development from IBM and just another step to the singularity.

A new form of computer memory might help machines match the capabilities of the human brain when it comes to tasks such as interpreting images or video footage.

Researchers at IBM used what’s known as phase-change memory to build a device that processes data in a way inspired by the workings of a biological brain. Using a prototype phase-change memory chip, the researchers configured the system to act like a network of 913 neurons with 165,000 connections, or synapses, between them. The strength of those connections change as the chip processes incoming data, altering how the virtual neurons influence one another. By exploiting that property, the researchers got the system to learn to recognize handwritten numbers.

The link: IBM Builds a Brain-Inspired Chip Using Phase-Change Memory | MIT Technology Review
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2014, 02:42 AM

141 posts, read 128,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
...snip... Once artificial intelligence becomes more intelligent then the average human and we merge with it to become trranshuman (we transcend our biology) we will have run a way intelligence.
You could think humans doesn't need to merge with computer to have runaway AI (say a 100% computer improves itself) but I think we have to or at least it will start that way.

My reasoning comes from Advanced Chess or Freestyle Chess (human player that uses a, more or less simple, chess computer), which for what I have been told anyway (source needed...), beats even the best chess computers because human and computer team up together, each adding its strengths.

We'll see this a lot concerning automation, humans will be used for those things AI can't do yet. Take Baxter, we need a human that moves it around, teaches it but more importantly, decides what Baxter is going to do today.

Well, maybe in 2045 we'll have computer only runaway AI but hopefully by then, we'll be those computers .

Old 12-31-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmond View Post
You could think humans doesn't need to merge with computer to have runaway AI (say a 100% computer improves itself) but I think we have to or at least it will start that way.

My reasoning comes from Advanced Chess or Freestyle Chess (human player that uses a, more or less simple, chess computer), which for what I have been told anyway (source needed...), beats even the best chess computers because human and computer team up together, each adding its strengths.

We'll see this a lot concerning automation, humans will be used for those things AI can't do yet. Take Baxter, we need a human that moves it around, teaches it but more importantly, decides what Baxter is going to do today.

Well, maybe in 2045 we'll have computer only runaway AI but hopefully by then, we'll be those computers .
I think I see what you are saying and while that might be the case today as AI gets more advanced exponentially that will not be the case. In time AI will be much better then humans and the same as trans-humans. I think that will really start to happen in the 2020's and why people are now saying we could hit the technological singularity as soon as 2025.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:02 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,888,293 times
There's a cure for the "techno singularity" - EMP.

Old 01-06-2015, 01:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt Grinder View Post
There's a cure for the "techno singularity" - EMP.
Yeah but a smart enough AI would make you not want to push that button (see AI-box experiment - RationalWiki which works okay for humans impersonations AI:s already) and without computers our society would fall apart...

Old 01-06-2015, 01:18 AM

Yeah, happy new year!

So lets start this 2015 with some fun stuff!

Next gen robots won't needs humans (only indirectly) to learn:

Robot learns to use tools by ‘watching’ YouTube videos | KurzweilAI

When will they skip out humans completely and teach each others directly ?

Old 01-06-2015, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Yeah, happy new year!

So lets start this 2015 with some fun stuff!

Next gen robots won't needs humans (only indirectly) to learn:

Robot learns to use tools by ‘watching’ YouTube videos | KurzweilAI

When will they skip out humans completely and teach each others directly ?
I saw that. This is why by 2020, only 5 years away, many of the jobs today will be taken over by robots as crazy as that sounds.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:37 AM

Closing in on nanofactories (hopefully anyway^^)

‘Pop-up’ fabrication technique trumps 3D printing | KurzweilAI

Old 01-15-2015, 05:44 PM

People ask if technology will be cheap or expensive when we have the chip to merge with the Internet. Week look at this news story from 1983 about the cell phone.

Flashback: What we said about mobile phones in 1983 - CBS News

Old 01-15-2015, 05:55 PM

Quote:
This is great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology