Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2014, 10:08 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,500,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
Oh, I am still hopeful and somewhat optimistic. Another concern, however, is that medical miracles will be developed but be too expensive for many (including me).
It will be expensive at first but go down in price rather fast. On some tings like reverse aging I want to be among the first, my goal is by 2023 when I turn 50, so I am saving a lot of money so I can. Even if its hundreds of thousands of dollars and not covered by medical insurance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2014, 10:51 PM

4,857 posts, read 7,627,163 times
AI is the future of space exploration, who cares about safe. It'll be more about cost.

I firmly believe 2023 is way too bullish for any kind of real 'reverse aging'. Life expectancy will be longer but I don't see how anyone will actually be getting younger in 9 yrs.

Old 11-23-2014, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
I firmly believe 2023 is way too bullish for any kind of real 'reverse aging'. Life expectancy will be longer but I don't see how anyone will actually be getting younger in 9 yrs.
That is because you are underestimating the impact of information technology advancing exponentially and genetics is now a form of information technology thus advancing exponentially.

Old 11-25-2014, 03:11 AM

141 posts, read 128,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
That is because you are underestimating the impact of information technology advancing exponentially and genetics is now a form of information technology thus advancing exponentially.
Exactly, for example just check this document out: https://www.fbo.gov/utils/view?id=7b...cde7335d16423b

If you are lazy or doesn't have the time :

It is a document about building APM which is like a Star Trek Replicator (on atom scale, Atomically Precise Manufacturing).

So about anything (and a gazillion things we haven't thought about just yet) will be created easily, like say computers on the atom level, materials 100 times stronger than steel but lighter, drug factories, medical things for researchers, you name it and it will be incredibly cheap.

One thing these kind of machines will be able to create is a copy of itself. Just imagine, they can haul out APM machines that duplicate for anyone to use, just download a "recipe" and here you go, mayonnaise or a car, a new computronium laptop, no cost solar panels or some water desalination plant. Cost less than $1 per kilo (and remember, there will be materials 100 times stronger than steel so you won't need that much either).

Now, when you have, hopefully, thought a bit about it and grasped the enormousness of it, let's jump to the next mind blower:

It's scheduled to start around march 2015 and be done in 48 months... but hey this can't be possible right? It's some crackpot or humbo jumbo guy predicting, right?

No, this is DARPA, the American Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, they who invented the internet and a lot more.

This will become a reality. In 2019.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmond View Post
Exactly, for example just check this document out: https://www.fbo.gov/utils/view?id=7b...cde7335d16423b

If you are lazy or doesn't have the time :

It is a document about building APM which is like a Star Trek Replicator (on atom scale, Atomically Precise Manufacturing).

So about anything (and a gazillion things we haven't thought about just yet) will be created easily, like say computers on the atom level, materials 100 times stronger than steel but lighter, drug factories, medical things for researchers, you name it and it will be incredibly cheap.

One thing these kind of machines will be able to create is a copy of itself. Just imagine, they can haul out APM machines that duplicate for anyone to use, just download a "recipe" and here you go, mayonnaise or a car, a new computronium laptop, no cost solar panels or some water desalination plant. Cost less than $1 per kilo (and remember, there will be materials 100 times stronger than steel so you won't need that much either).

Now, when you have, hopefully, thought a bit about it and grasped the enormousness of it, let's jump to the next mind blower:

It's scheduled to start around march 2015 and be done in 48 months... but hey this can't be possible right? It's some crackpot or humbo jumbo guy predicting, right?

No, this is DARPA, the American Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, they who invented the internet and a lot more.

This will become a reality. In 2019.
Wow that is even faster then I had heard as I though it was 20 years out.

This is what I had seen:

Last edited by Josseppie; 11-25-2014 at 09:40 AM..

Old 11-25-2014, 11:01 AM

4,857 posts, read 7,627,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post

If they invented reverse aging tech tomorrow, it wouldn't be available tomorrow is my only point. I think you are underestimating the fact that it would still need FDA approval after years of testing.

Old 11-25-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dport7674 View Post
If they invented reverse aging tech tomorrow, it wouldn't be available tomorrow is my only point. I think you are underestimating the fact that it would still need FDA approval after years of testing.
That is why I said the early 2020's not 2015-2020. However I will admit with how fast technology will be advancing they will have to do something to keep up. This is not the 1960's anymore.

Old 12-01-2014, 01:59 AM

Aubrey de Grey interviewed by The European, there is an interesting part about prices of rejuvenating medicine

How to fight the aging process and prolong life - The European

The part about pricing:

The European: Who would be able to afford these therapies?
de Grey: That’s a good question. These therapies will not be expensive. They will be made available to everybody who needs them. Because unlike today’s high-tech medicine which is very expensive, these therapies will pay for themselves. They will save us all of the money we are currently spending trying to keep people alive with medicine that doesn’t work. This will also have an enormous number of very effective indirect economic benefits. One is that the children of the elderly will be more productive because they won’t have to spend any time looking after their sick parents. The older but healthy people themselves will be continuing to contribute wealth to society instead of just consuming wealth. Any way you look at it, it would be economically suicidal at the national level for any country not to make these therapies available for everyone who is old enough to need them.

Old 12-01-2014, 09:55 AM

Very good points!

Old 12-04-2014, 01:18 AM

The robots are coming! Article by Peter Diamandis (author of "Abundance").

The Day You’ll Prefer Robots to Humans | Singularity HUB

I almost wish I was a kid today, but then I almost feel like one when reading things like this
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology