Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2015, 08:27 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,179,271 times

Advertisements

Kurzweil's radical life-extension diet: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/heres-...202730911.html

Ray Kurzweil is quite a polymath: Ray Kurzweil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 04:27 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,487,893 times
More news on Moore's Law:

After 50 Years, Moore's Law Has Only Started To Disrupt Everything We Do

The link: After 50 Years, Moore's Law Has Only Started To Disrupt Everything We Do - Forbes

Old 04-24-2015, 11:15 AM

This is what I have been talking about and by 2020.

Ray Kurzweil made a startling prediction in 1999 that appears to be coming true: that by 2023 a $1,000 laptop would have the computing power and storage capacity of a human brain. He also predicted that Moore’s Law, which postulates that the processing capability of a computer doubles every 18 months, would apply for 60 years — until 2025 — giving way then to new paradigms of technological change.

Kurzweil, a renowned futurist and the director of engineering at Google, told me a few days ago that the hardware needed to emulate the human brain may be ready even sooner than he predicted — in around 2020 — using technologies such as graphics processing units (GPUs), which are ideal for brain-software algorithms. He predicts that the complete brain software will take a little longer: until about 2029.

The link: Our iPhones will soon be more intelligent than we are | VentureBeat | Gadgets | by Vivek Wadhwa

Old 04-29-2015, 01:44 PM

I talk about solar a lot and how it is the future. I, have, also had a lot of criticism for saying that and now people are starting to realize that it is the future.

Here is the latest article on it:

A solar future isn't just likely — it's inevitable

The link: A solar future isn't just likely

Old 04-30-2015, 03:41 PM

3D chips are the next step but once we get quantum computers it will be a big game changer and this is a good step towards that goal.

IBM scientists today unveiled two critical advances towards the realization of a practical quantum computer. For the first time, they showed the ability to detect and measure both kinds of quantum errors simultaneously, as well as demonstrated a new, square quantum bit circuit design that is the only physical architecture that could successfully scale to larger dimensions.

Read more at: Scientists achieve critical steps to building first practical quantum computer

Old 05-04-2015, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Kurzweil's radical life-extension diet: http://finance.yahoo.com/news/heres-...202730911.html

Ray Kurzweil is quite a polymath: Ray Kurzweil - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is what will give us real radical life extension.

'Fountain of Youth' Discovered? Scientists Might Finally be Able to Reverse Aging

Read more: 'Fountain of Youth' Discovered? Scientists Might Finally be Able to Reverse Aging : News : Yibada

and

Genetic breakthrough may halt and even reverse the aging process

Read more: Genetic breakthrough may halt and even reverse the aging process

Old 05-04-2015, 06:37 PM

Exclamation Quantum Computers Will Make Your Laptop Look Like an Abacus

So it looks like we will go from the integrated circuit to 3D circuits then the quantum computer.

From Newsweek:

The race to make the first quantum computer is becoming as important as the race 75 years ago to get the first nuke. It could change the balance of power in politics and business.

Quantum computers have long been theoretically possible but a kind of futuristic fantasy, like Interstellar-style wormhole travel, or zero-calorie Hershey Bars. I first wrote in the 1990s about the quest for one. Now breakthroughs are coming faster, and scientists say we’re 15 to 20 years away from fully functional, programmable quantum computers.

The link: http://www.newsweek.com/quantum-comp...-abacus-327676

Old 05-04-2015, 09:14 PM

5,462 posts, read 9,645,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
So it looks like we will go from the integrated circuit to 3D circuits then the quantum computer.

From Newsweek:

The race to make the first quantum computer is becoming as important as the race 75 years ago to get the first nuke. It could change the balance of power in politics and business.

Quantum computers have long been theoretically possible but a kind of futuristic fantasy, like Interstellar-style wormhole travel, or zero-calorie Hershey Bars. I first wrote in the 1990s about the quest for one. Now breakthroughs are coming faster, and scientists say we’re 15 to 20 years away from fully functional, programmable quantum computers.

I saw that article earlier. Thanks for posting it. That puts the possibility of having working quantum computers by around 2030 to 2035. Whether it gets into the hands of the average consumer by then remains to be seen. It would be an enormous step forward in computing though.

Old 05-08-2015, 12:50 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,607,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post

From Newsweek:

So if they actually manage to do this, it would in a way prove the existence of parallel universes, right? To my understanding at this point only mathematical equations show there are multiple universes, but these quantum computers would apparently search in other universes and come back to ours with an answer?

Old 05-08-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
So if they actually manage to do this, it would in a way prove the existence of parallel universes, right? To my understanding at this point only mathematical equations show there are multiple universes, but these quantum computers would apparently search in other universes and come back to ours with an answer?
That is a good question and one I am not sure of. I mean something like this goes beyond information technology so I have to be intellectually honest here. However if that does happen it would be cool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology