Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2015, 03:37 PM

12,262 posts, read 24,517,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
What makes you think the cost will go down quickly? Cars are just as expensive as they were 20 years ago, medications and medical procedures are still expensive even after decades. Why would a company or government want to make something like immortality available to everyone?
Because we are talking information technology and the price of that keeps going down. Now by fast I talking about 5-10 years after the first world has it. Especially once we merge with the tech.

A look at how merging with the tech will help us:

Robosapiens – merging with machines will improve humanity at an exponential rate

The link: http://ieet.org/index.php/IEET/more/omowole20150707

Here is the latest chip to come out. Shows how fast we are advancing.

IBM said on Thursday that it had made working versions of ultradense computer chips, with roughly four times the capacity of today’s most powerful chips.

The announcement, made on behalf of an international consortium led by IBM, the giant computer company, is part of an effort to manufacture the most advanced computer chips in New York’s Hudson Valley, where IBM is investing $3 billion in a private-public partnership with New York State, GlobalFoundries, Samsung and equipment vendors.

The development lifts a bit of the cloud that has fallen over the semiconductor industry, which has struggled to maintain its legendary pace of doubling transistor density every two years.

The link: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/09/te...ence.html?_r=0
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2015, 05:48 PM

I think this is a good podcast on merging with the technology.

https://soundcloud.com/grayscott/***...ow-episode-001

Old 07-15-2015, 08:59 AM

141 posts, read 128,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
Immorality is economically unsustainable for most of the Earth inhabitants, and there's also the fact that your brain aging can't at the present be reversed and so limits the lifespan of an individual.

As things progress, I can see a small percentage of super rich becoming immortal gods and the rest of humanity becoming irrelevant and obsolete. Welcome to the great tomorrow.
Ha ha what a typo!

Check out Dr de Grey and his book Ending Aging you you are interested in the possibilities to gain Longevity Escape Velocity (and yes, it's for the brain too, braincells are still just cells as all other ones).

Also as already pointed out, population won't spiral out of control. Also, with nano tech we'll have energy (and thus food etc.) enough for even a population a hundred times bigger than today.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:16 PM

1,200 posts, read 1,610,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Because we are talking information technology and the price of that keeps going down. Now by fast I talking about 5-10 years after the first world has it. Especially once we merge with the tech.

A look at how merging with the tech will help us:

Robosapiens – merging with machines will improve humanity at an exponential rate

The link: Robosapiens – merging with machines will improve humanity at an exponential rate

Here is the latest chip to come out. Shows how fast we are advancing.

IBM said on Thursday that it had made working versions of ultradense computer chips, with roughly four times the capacity of today’s most powerful chips.

The announcement, made on behalf of an international consortium led by IBM, the giant computer company, is part of an effort to manufacture the most advanced computer chips in New York’s Hudson Valley, where IBM is investing $3 billion in a private-public partnership with New York State, GlobalFoundries, Samsung and equipment vendors.

The development lifts a bit of the cloud that has fallen over the semiconductor industry, which has struggled to maintain its legendary pace of doubling transistor density every two years.

The link: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/09/te...ence.html?_r=0
I still find it hard to believe, look at flagship smartphones their price has remained the same in first world nations while costing more in third world ones. There are cheap smartphones but they come with inferior tech (and even with cheap options only 65% have smartphones in the U.S.); kind of like I mentioned the masses will have the inferior tech that extends life, while the elite will have the immortality tech.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I still find it hard to believe, look at flagship smartphones their price has remained the same in first world nations while costing more in third world ones. There are cheap smartphones but they come with inferior tech (and even with cheap options only 65% have smartphones in the U.S.); kind of like I mentioned the masses will have the inferior tech that extends life, while the elite will have the immortality tech.
There will be no one pill that allows someone to live "forever" even for the "rich" it will be a bridge to a bridge etc. So all anyone has to do is make it to the next bridge and they will be ok. Sure at first most developing nations will not have the same access as first world nations but I suspect they will catch up even i its not exactly the same it should be good enough to get to them to the next bridge.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
There will be no one pill that allows someone to live "forever" even for the "rich" it will be a bridge to a bridge etc. So all anyone has to do is make it to the next bridge and they will be ok. Sure at first most developing nations will not have the same access as first world nations but I suspect they will catch up even i its not exactly the same it should be good enough to get to them to the next bridge.
I'm telling you, big pharma, biotech and technology institutions love to patent their products, so no one else can sell it for a time.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:00 AM

Dr de Grey, the worlds most renowned biogerontologist, thinks otherwise, he projects that instead of milking a couple of billionaires for rejuvenation every ten years, more money will come from milking billions of people and that those techniques will become dirt cheap and easy for everyone to use.

Basically, every ten twenty year, you'll have an appointment with a nurse, giving you some pills and an injection.

There Are a lot of hurdles to over come, like the FDA (but that one will surely start as medical tourism) but we're going there and it will be cheap and for every one.

Also, if there would be a transition period, where the really good treatments are $1M and the "gives you 5-10 years" is for $50.000 and the el cheapo "gives you only 2-3 years" is $1.000 well then you probably should take the cheapest as prices will drop considerably.

Why would prices drop considerably?
Because about every person on the planet would like to have it.
I can't imagine the political pressure for this to be distributed to the whole population (in Europe anyway) for free...

For the time frame, of course nobody knows for sure but there are already several completely different paths towards it (so if one slogs down, another will probably make it), I know about the SENS approach, Nanobots, Googles Calico, IBM:s big-data and I'm sure there are others.

Also, don't forget we only need to rejuvenate a bit to get to the next new treatment that'll take us to the next and so on (Longevity Escape Velocity).

So I'm kind of confident, well, I try to live my life anyhow he he and we'll see how it pans out!

Old 07-16-2015, 04:15 AM

658 posts, read 1,145,349 times
wtf did I just read?

a bunch of jack/beanstalk pie in the sky????

wtf

Old 07-16-2015, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaderOCola View Post
wtf did I just read?

a bunch of jack/beanstalk pie in the sky????

wtf
Feel free to criticize, but please, put some constructiveness into it.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valmond View Post
Dr de Grey, the worlds most renowned biogerontologist, thinks otherwise, he projects that instead of milking a couple of billionaires for rejuvenation every ten years, more money will come from milking billions of people and that those techniques will become dirt cheap and easy for everyone to use.

Basically, every ten twenty year, you'll have an appointment with a nurse, giving you some pills and an injection.

There Are a lot of hurdles to over come, like the FDA (but that one will surely start as medical tourism) but we're going there and it will be cheap and for every one.

Also, if there would be a transition period, where the really good treatments are $1M and the "gives you 5-10 years" is for $50.000 and the el cheapo "gives you only 2-3 years" is $1.000 well then you probably should take the cheapest as prices will drop considerably.

Why would prices drop considerably?
Because about every person on the planet would like to have it.
I can't imagine the political pressure for this to be distributed to the whole population (in Europe anyway) for free...

For the time frame, of course nobody knows for sure but there are already several completely different paths towards it (so if one slogs down, another will probably make it), I know about the SENS approach, Nanobots, Googles Calico, IBM:s big-data and I'm sure there are others.

Also, don't forget we only need to rejuvenate a bit to get to the next new treatment that'll take us to the next and so on (Longevity Escape Velocity).

So I'm kind of confident, well, I try to live my life anyhow he he and we'll see how it pans out!
I could see that for big Pharm if they developed a drug that you have to pay every month for, but I don't know. Look at the dire research for antibiotics, big pharm doesn't see money in it since it's a temporary med a cure, they make their money by having people take meds for life, so it's probably not going to benefit them finding something that cures all diseases unless it's a drug you have to take forever or procedure that needs to be done every few months, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology