Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 03:40 PM

527 posts, read 1,577,294 times

Advertisements

I actually know a couple with a young child that live in East Oakland, west of 580, have a big house that they love, know all their neighbors, and have not witnessed anything remotely resembling crime. Their neighbor runs a day care center where their child goes every day, only a few houses down. I believe they're in Highland Park, which, if you go by only the stats, would be considered "high crime." So, even neighborhoods that may have the appearance of having high crime by the one facet of a statistical crime report, can be safe, desirable places to live for educated people with children.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 03:59 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,762,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1707 View Post
I actually know a couple with a young child that live in East Oakland, west of 580, have a big house that they love, know all their neighbors, and have not witnessed anything remotely resembling crime. Their neighbor runs a day care center where their child goes every day, only a few houses down. I believe they're in Highland Park, which, if you go by only the stats, would be considered "high crime." So, even neighborhoods that may have the appearance of having high crime by the one facet of a statistical crime report, can be safe, desirable places to live for educated people with children.

Highland Park is one of the nicest parts of East Oakland west of 580... it gets a bad rep because its in East Oakland. Same with Ivy Hill and Fruitvale. Anything north of 35th Ave is fine for the most part if you've lived in a city before. Otherwise, it will all look like the ghetto to you like it does to Mr. Fantastic.

Old 06-13-2010, 04:19 PM

527 posts, read 1,577,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
Highland Park is one of the nicest parts of East Oakland west of 580... it gets a bad rep because its in East Oakland. Same with Ivy Hill and Fruitvale. Anything north of 35th Ave is fine for the most part if you've lived in a city before. Otherwise, it will all look like the ghetto to you like it does to Mr. Fantastic.
Now I look at a map, I think technically they may be farther east/south of that neighborhood, in Tuxedo. Anyway, my point was that a statistical perception can be vastly different from the reality. Here is a good article explaining why these statistics shouldn't be taken at face value:

The Most Dangerous Crime Rankings » Contexts

"The crime rankings aren’t only methodologically questionable, they do real damage to the affected cities. Businesses think twice about relocating to “dangerous” places, organizations fail to sign or cancel convention contracts, families reconsider visiting or moving, and suburban and rural residents needlessly fear the city. Cities with large African-American populations are hit particularly hard. Fully half the residents of CQ’s “Most Dangerous 25” cities are black, compared with just 4 percent of the residents of the “Safest 25.”

The racially disparate damage done by the crime rankings might be unavoidable if the rankings were a meaningful indicator of risk. But knowing the city in which people live reveals next to nothing about their victimization risk or “danger,” especially when compared with known risk factors such as age and lifestyle. Neighborhood also matters. In all cities serious crime is disproportionately concentrated in a handful of high-risk neighborhoods. Variation in crime risk is far greater within than between cities."

Old 06-13-2010, 05:00 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,762,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmk1707 View Post
Now I look at a map, I think technically they may be farther east/south of that neighborhood, in Tuxedo. Anyway, my point was that a statistical perception can be vastly different from the reality. Here is a good article explaining why these statistics shouldn't be taken at face value:

The Most Dangerous Crime Rankings » Contexts

"The crime rankings aren’t only methodologically questionable, they do real damage to the affected cities. Businesses think twice about relocating to “dangerous” places, organizations fail to sign or cancel convention contracts, families reconsider visiting or moving, and suburban and rural residents needlessly fear the city. Cities with large African-American populations are hit particularly hard. Fully half the residents of CQ’s “Most Dangerous 25” cities are black, compared with just 4 percent of the residents of the “Safest 25.”

The racially disparate damage done by the crime rankings might be unavoidable if the rankings were a meaningful indicator of risk. But knowing the city in which people live reveals next to nothing about their victimization risk or “danger,” especially when compared with known risk factors such as age and lifestyle. Neighborhood also matters. In all cities serious crime is disproportionately concentrated in a handful of high-risk neighborhoods. Variation in crime risk is far greater within than between cities."

I was agreeing with you.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:16 AM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post
See this is how you know you're not very sharp. You're actually debating with a licensed real estate broker, and licensed financial adviser about financial figures, something I get PAID to do for actual clients.
If you were really a "Licensed Real Estate Broker", then I wouldnt have to explain to you that people are going to find a way to pay for more expensive areas if they feel its worth it for them.

And based on the 2 homes featured by you and NinetiesFlava, its obvious that people are willing to pay more for a small house in Oakland than a larger home in Costa Mesa.

That is really not a surprise in the least.

Quote:
Honestly, you're proving why people shouldn't trust your information by continuing to humiliate yourself.
Actually, speaking to you makes me cringe because Im so embarrassed 'for you'...I mean, what a hot mess you are.

Old 06-14-2010, 10:34 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,254,100 times
Okay I get it, you're going to ignore that you posted the following:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair
According to YOUR OWN LINK, the people who buy that house are going to pay about $2200 a month and that comes out to $26,400 a year on the mortgage payment alone.
I guess you're going to back off your own point that the home in Costa Mesa had a mortgage of $2200 (mathematically impossible) because it exposes you as either a liar, or someone incompetent with simple figures. Okay, we'll leave that alone and go on to your "new point", aka diversionary point to make people forget that I just got destroyed by Mr. Fantastic because he actually can multiply numbers correctly.

Quote:
If you were really a "Licensed Real Estate Broker", then I wouldnt have to explain to you that people are going to find a way to pay for more expensive areas if they feel its worth it for them.
I never debated this point, and I know this happens all too often. Doesn't mean it's sound advice, which is the only advice I give when it comes to my client's money (which is why I am hugely successful).

I give my clients the best advice I can give them based on their financial situation. Unlike you, I'd never suggest anyone purchase a home with 10% down. Also unlike you, I'd never suggest any family over reach by spending more than 30% of their gross income on housing. That's why I get paid to tell people how to make purchasing decisions, and you spend your time on this forum telling people 20% of $374,000 is $100,000.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Okay I get it, you're going to ignore that you posted the following:
Actually troll, I gloss over most of everything you say. Its just not that important to me and you have shown your @ss here so many times, nobody really takes you seriously anymore.

Your just someone we use as a stress reliever. Like a punching bag.

Quote:
I guess you're going to back off your own point that the home in Costa Mesa had a mortgage of $2200 (mathematically impossible) because it exposes you as either a liar, or someone incompetent with simple figures. Okay, we'll leave that alone and go on to your "new point", aka diversionary point to make people forget that I just got destroyed by Mr. Fantastic because he actually can multiply numbers correctly.
Go back to YOUR link, go to the mortgage calculator and input a 10% down payment at a rate of 7% for 30 years and the payment comes out to $2245 a month.

3123 DUBLIN St, Costa Mesa, CA 92626 | MLS# S620377

Oh, and you can be as rude as you like-it doesnt phase me one bit-in fact seeing you get flustered is quite funny. Ha. Ha. Ha.

Quote:
I give my clients the best advice I can give them based on their financial situation. Unlike you, I'd never suggest anyone purchase a home with 10% down. Also unlike you, I'd never suggest any family over reach by spending more than 30% of their gross income on housing. That's why I get paid to tell people how to make purchasing decisions
LOL...I never said a family should spend more than a third of their income on their payment-not once. Only that the reality in California is that people do go to that lengths and they do succeed in getting it done.

Of course, if you were really a RE Professional, I wouldnt have to explain that to you.

Quote:
and you spend your time on this forum telling people 20% of $374,000 is $100,000.
LOL...that was an honest mistake-but Im sure you expect nothing less from colored-folks right?

Anyway, for the sane people interested, here are some very nice Oakland neighborhoods that have very reasonable average home sale prices compared to the average family income:

Neighborhood, Average Family Income---Average Sale Price(Mar-May 2010)
Sheperd Canyon $148,168---$392,245
Sheffield Village $135,575---$487,517
Sequoyah $131,296---$449,343
Caballo Hills $121,583---$376,076
Chabot Park $119,790---$461,722
Redwood Heights $111,814---$311,650
Oak Knoll/ Golf Links $95,110---$295,648
Fairview Park $92,833---$362,500

These are excellent neighborhoods at that.

Now looks like a great time to look in the Eastern Hills Area. Safe, Wealthy and moderately priced.

Old 06-14-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
Go back to YOUR link, go to the mortgage calculator and input a 10% down payment at a rate of 7% for 30 years and the payment comes out to $2245 a month.
Ohhh, so now you're talking about if a family were to make the very unwise decision to put only 10% down and if they had crappy credit, it would be $2200 a month. That makes sense considering your previous financial suggestions.

Quote:

This part of your post should be a signal for anyone considering your advice for Oakland neighborhoods to simply ignore you and move on.

Here's the crime report for that neighborhood:
Fairview Park, Oakland, CA Neighborhood Crime Map, Statistics, Alerts and Reports

A neighborhood that basically has violent assaults occurring every week is an "excellent neighborhood"?

Quote:
LOL...that was an honest mistake-but Im sure you expect nothing less from colored-folks right?
It's kind of pathetic how you try and turn this into a race issue at every turn, and then try and call other posters racist. It's like you're using the race card as a defensive mechanism for your own short comings. Seriously, stop dishing the race card, to cover up for your own mistakes. I've met plenty of intelligent and smart people of various ethnicity and all of them could tell you that 20% of $374,900 isn't 100,000. It's called "3rd grade math" and "attention to detail", both qualities you don't seem to have.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Ohhh, so now you're talking about if a family were to make the very unwise decision to put only 10% down and if they had crappy credit, it would be $2200 a month. That makes sense considering your previous financial suggestions.
More of the same from the SF Forum's resident troll.

*yawns* Your beginning to bore me.

Quote:
This part of your post should be a signal for anyone considering your advice for Oakland neighborhoods to simply ignore you and move on.

Here's the crime report for that neighborhood:
Fairview Park, Oakland, CA Neighborhood Crime Map, Statistics, Alerts and Reports

A neighborhood that basically has violent assaults occurring every week is an "excellent neighborhood"?
Your fearmongering notwithstanding, families with means to live elsewhere still would rather live in Fairview Park(a cute neighborhood btw) then in Costa Mesa.

Notice how you have NOTHING to say about the other neighborhoods?

*crickets*

Sorry dear troll, but once again you've been obliterated with stats:

Neighborhood, Average Family Income---Average Sale Price(Mar-May 2010)
Sheperd Canyon $148,168---$392,245
Sheffield Village $135,575---$487,517
Sequoyah $131,296---$449,343
Caballo Hills $121,583---$376,076
Chabot Park $119,790---$461,722
Redwood Heights $111,814---$311,650
Oak Knoll/ Golf Links $95,110---$295,648

Now looks like a great time to look in the Eastern Hills Area. Safe, Wealthy and moderately priced.

No go cry.

Old 06-14-2010, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
More of the same from the SF Forum's resident troll.

*yawns* Your beginning to bore me.
Is that because I'm presenting you with facts. You're suggesting the average family has horrible credit and will only purchase homes with an LTV of 90%. It is kind of telling though that you continually suggest it, perhaps it's reflective of your own personal credit situation.

Quote:
Your fearmongering notwithstanding, families with means to live elsewhere still would rather live in Fairview Park(a cute neighborhood btw) then in Costa Mesa.
Fear mongering? I posted a crime report that shows Fairview has weekly reported assaults, all over the area. I'm not saying Fairview is a slum, but it's not an excellent neighborhood like you claim. Excellent neighborhoods don't have high violent crime rates.

As for choosing between Fairview and Costa Mesa, there are neighborhoods in Costa Mesa that make Fairview look like a third world country. It's all relative to the community. One thing I do know is that Costa Mesa as a whole has less murders, less rape, and less violent assault than Oakland. Also Costa Mesa doesn't have a 52% dropout rate like Oakland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland