Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 02:00 PM

291 posts, read 958,129 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the bay area with two school age kids and trying to decide what area would be best for us. I know that Marin (San Rafael or Novato) & Alameda counties (680 corridor between Dublin & Pleasant Hills) both have good schools and are family oriented but I would like to hear some pros & cons regarding the following:

1) Weather (which one is warmer and gets more sunny days?)
2) Earthquake (more likely, less likely, or the same?)
3) Cost of living ($600k for 3 bed house or $3000 for rent)
4) Access to public transportation (to get into San Francisco)
5) What area has easier access to San Francisco airport?
6) Public school (which one is best?)

There's no commuting involved as we got a sweet deal to work from home

Also, please feel free to suggest any other area we might want to look into (within the bay area). Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 02:08 PM

3,722 posts, read 14,724,505 times
Towns along I-680 have the warmest weather

Earthquake risk is the same throughout the area.

Access to SFO airport would be the easiest from the East Bay because BART goes to the airport BART - Station List

Old 03-31-2010, 03:29 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
I agree with Humboldtrat. The earthquake seem to be the same in both counties. My family used to live in San Rafael during the late 1980s right around the time of the Loma Prieta quake. Although San Francisco was the most damaged, my mother told me things shook and broke around the house. So I'm not sure if Rafael had less damage than anywhere else. All I know is that it is a NICE small town and If I had the money, I wouldn't live anywhere else in The Bay Area. It's secluded, a family town, decent schools, less weirdos, etc. Overall good choice.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:29 AM

I am thinking Alameda would be better because of the BART and proximity to Berkeley, which we love.

Thank you for your comments. Let me know if there's anything else we should consider.

Old 04-01-2010, 02:14 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSunset View Post
I am thinking Alameda would be better because of the BART and proximity to Berkeley, which we love.

Thank you for your comments. Let me know if there's anything else we should consider.
Yes actually. I was recently doing research on a very nice small town in the North Bay. It's called Benicia. It is SO nice and actually affordable. It's diverse in demographics, it has good schools, family oriented town, etc. Another great choice I would consider.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:53 AM

3,257 posts, read 6,127,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeSunset View Post
We are moving to the bay area with two school age kids and trying to decide what area would be best for us. I know that Marin (San Rafael or Novato) & Alameda counties (680 corridor between Dublin & Pleasant Hills) both have good schools and are family oriented but I would like to hear some pros & cons regarding the following:

1) Weather (which one is warmer and gets more sunny days?)
2) Earthquake (more likely, less likely, or the same?)
3) Cost of living ($600k for 3 bed house or $3000 for rent)
4) Access to public transportation (to get into San Francisco)
5) What area has easier access to San Francisco airport?
6) Public school (which one is best?)
Marin is better,.

Less earthquakes there ( 680 has both hayward fault and calaveras.. Marin has san andreas), but more expensive. Weather is nicer, not quite as HOT, worse public tran, schools better mainly. It is greener treesy- I live east bay.

If our business wasnt down here we'd move up there.

Old 04-02-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Yes actually. I was recently doing research on a very nice small town in the North Bay. It's called Benicia. It is SO nice and actually affordable. It's diverse in demographics, it has good schools, family oriented town, etc. Another great choice I would consider.
Benicia looks like a great option. Can't wait to check it out

Thank you!

Old 04-02-2010, 11:21 PM

4,710 posts, read 7,102,284 times
I live in San Rafael. It has more of a small town feel than most of the east bay (not all - some areas in the e.b. have that feel). There is access to both the bay and the ocean. Marin County has huge expanses of open space, National Seashore and Recreational Areas, and lots of neighborhoods have direct access to open space preserves. There are lots of places to take kids. Great schools, too, both public and private. Mill Valley is more foggy, but San Rafael seldom has fog. San Rafael and Novato are warmer than Mill Valley/Tiburon/Sausalito. It is beautiful, too. (But, of course, lots of places in CA are beautiful.)

Old 06-04-2010, 03:27 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,071,161 times
Marin hands down.
You will then also have access to sonoma and mendocino, as well as SFO and the east bay.
As mentioned, open space in Marin is remarkable, as are the amenities.
I personally don't find east bay area as beautiful or unique, thought it does have some great areas, I know.....

Old 06-04-2010, 06:34 PM

2,352 posts, read 5,253,449 times
Marin.

It's simply safer and better but more expensive overall.

Alameda County has Oakland, which is a major sore spot for that county.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland