Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 07:16 PM

1 posts, read 5,594 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband and I have been considering relocating to Marin County. We have two kids, a ten year old and a fifteen year old and Marin has always seemed like a good place to raise a family. We've been told to look into Tiburon, Mill Valley, Sausalito and Belvedere. I'd love if people that live/know well the area would give us an idea about this places. And maybe even suggest other towns. Where can we get the best schools, safety, the best sense of community. And how's the commute to San Francisco? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 08:59 PM

434 posts, read 1,019,783 times
My information is a bit dated, but no one else has responded (yet), so I'll have a go.

An old friend and Marin native told me a few months ago that she doesn't think Mill Valley is as "family friendly" as it used to be, and now lives in San Anselmo. I don't know what she objected to in Mill Valley and what she likes about San Anselmo, but that's what she said, and now I've shared it.

The bottleneck for the commute into S.F. is the Golden Gate Bridge. Golden Gate Transit buses are a poor substitute for BART, which provides subway access to Lafayette and other well-to-do Contra Costa suburbs conquerable to Marin. That said, Golden Gate Transit runs special express commuter buses from freeway transit hubs to downtown.

Sausalito will be easier than the other towns you mentioned, commute-wise, as it's closest to San Francisco. But there's still the bridge to be gotten across. I should say no more than this. I have logged too many hours of sitting in traffic jams on the Waldo Grade to be objective. As beautiful as Marin is, I'm afraid that's why I would never move back there.

Even by Marin standards, Sausalito and Belvedere are expensive places to live. If you can afford these burgs, you might also look at Ross, which might be the priciest town in the county. And I wouldn't rule out Larkspur, either.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:03 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,928,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by California Vagabond View Post
My information is a bit dated, but no one else has responded (yet), so I'll have a go.

Sausalito will be easier than the other towns you mentioned, commute-wise, as it's closest to San Francisco. But there's still the bridge to be gotten across. I should say no more than this. I have logged too many hours of sitting in traffic jams on the Waldo Grade to be objective. As beautiful as Marin is, I'm afraid that's why I would never move back there.
there's a tiburon ferry to SF though.

http://www.blueandgoldfleet.com/ferr...rry-schedules/

Old 08-09-2012, 10:05 PM

102,228 posts, read 108,040,687 times
I actually hope to move to Mill Valley. It's a great place to raise kids, from what I've observed. Parents let their kids run around in the redwood parks without supervision, it's that safe. All these places, including Larkspur, are very pricey, though. And CA Vagabond is right about the bridge traffic. Public transit would be the only way to go for commuting to work, you wouldn't want to go through that in your car. The car would be good for weekend trips to the city.

Novato is cheaper, you could look there, or Fairfax. Longer commute, but definitely do-able, lots of people do it. Anyplace inland from the Bay will be cheaper. In the communities that have been recommended to you, you're paying a premiium for Bay access.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:07 PM

102,228 posts, read 108,040,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thgenSF View Post
there's a tiburon ferry to SF though.

Ferry Schedules - Blue & Gold Fleet
Oh, that's right! And there's a Larkspur ferry, too.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:16 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,928,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Oh, that's right! And there's a Larkspur ferry, too.
you're right too. i was thinking it was the same ferry but no, a different one.

http://goldengateferry.org/schedules/Larkspur.php

Old 08-09-2012, 11:21 PM

507 posts, read 918,174 times
Sausalito is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. I didn't realize there was a ferry... this is something I'll have to consider.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:59 AM

51 posts, read 329,678 times
Sausalito has almost no sidewalks except on the main road through town and it can be chilly for much of the year. Most houses are built on very steep hills with no sidewalks and the roads are mostly made of blind turns, so there would be no "playing outside" for the kids unless you have an enclosed yard. Very dangerous! I live in Sausalito and it's gorgeous, but it's really not a place for children. Mill Valley, on the other hand, is kid-central and the public schools are as good as private schools. Almost everyone you see on the street there is pushing a stroller or has kids in tow. I think it's extremely family-friendly...in fact people make jokes about it being the Bay Area's "spawning ground." San Anselmo is also family-friendly, though it's a smaller community. I've lived in all three towns.

Old 08-10-2012, 11:40 AM

3,722 posts, read 14,730,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nohh View Post
We've been told to look into Tiburon, Mill Valley, Sausalito and Belvedere.
Got money?? Those places are the most expensive places to live in the Bay Area - maybe $1 mil for starters.

Old 08-10-2012, 01:33 PM

224 posts, read 495,630 times
If you've got the change then you can live a lovely life with children in any one of those communities. Schools are great, scenery is gorgeous, great proximity to all sorts of places. Again though-- IF you've got the $$$. I assume you realize this and I assume you do. Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland