Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 02:49 PM

605 posts, read 865,976 times

Advertisements

Pondering this, would anyone be willing to tell me:

When I was living up north, I saw VERY few Asians, I mean very few.
Where do they reside? I never went over to Berkeley or Oakland. Is Marin County against Asains? It's so affluent - what gives?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2007, 02:59 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,145,658 times
Daly City is majority Asian, as is Milpitas on the other side of the water. San Francisco, Cupertino and San Jose also have particularly large concentrations. Why, I couldn't tell you.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:18 PM

2,199 posts, read 3,357,507 times
I don't know about Marin County, but there are lots of Asians on the peninsula. Millbrae school districts Asian population is the majority.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:54 PM

718 posts, read 2,687,786 times
Marin county is not as liberal as they would like you to believe. For example when they had the opportunity to have BART trian service to alleviate commuting woes on the bridge, many figured this would be a for sure sollution. Ohhhh not not in *MARIN*. residents were so worried about "the effects on the local communitry" such as minorities and transiets riding bart and getting off at marin, that the whole project was voted down and scrapped. Marin residents are perfectly content sitting a half hour on the bridge knowing that "WE dont have THOSE type of PROBLEMS in MARIN".

So to answer your question yes and no. Marin has been able to insolate themselves from the rest of societies woes. Part of that entailes an having anti immigrant/ anti minority agenda even if this means doing it behind closed doors. On the other had if you have got the $$ marin is color blind, as there are no legal parmiters that the city can use to "keep asians out".

Old 12-10-2007, 05:51 PM

358 posts, read 1,916,249 times
Maybe the Asian Americans in the Bay Area haven't yet bought into the American culture of commuting an hour to work while living in suburbia as much as the non-Hispanic whites have? Just taking a wild guess at one of the possible reasons.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:08 PM

718 posts, read 2,687,786 times
i love 880

Old 12-11-2007, 12:47 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,377,476 times
Asians have a very heavy presence in Silicon Valley. Places like Cupertino, Sunnyvale, Mountain View, parts of San Jose. To their credit, most tend to be very keen on education, and they tend to live in the nicer areas because of their interest in math, science, and high tech. Haven't heard any specify a preference or desire to be in Marin county with its extremely high breast cancer rate. Their rate might be one of the highest in the nation, go figure.

Old 12-11-2007, 08:17 AM

875 posts, read 1,092,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBNorCal View Post
Pondering this, would anyone be willing to tell me:

When I was living up north, I saw VERY few Asians, I mean very few.
Where do they reside? I never went over to Berkeley or Oakland. Is Marin County against Asains? It's so affluent - what gives?
There are Asians in Marin. I guess it depends on where you go. I'm sure there aren't as many as live in the SF area though.

I did an appraisal for a young Asian couple who lived in a 5 bedroom 4500 sq ft McMansion in Marin once. They had a few cousins living with them, and grandma was on her way from China.

Old 12-11-2007, 11:14 AM

1,229 posts, read 3,245,211 times
The Bay Area as a whole is about as diverse and accepting as they come in the US. If you can afford to live somewhere, you can move in and get very little flack no matter what color you are (assuming you are not an obnoxious neighbor). Of course we have large concentrations of Asians in SF and Oakland's Chinatowns/Japantowns, but there are many Asians throughout the Bay Area from the poorest neighborhoods to the most expensive. More maybe in Silicon Valley than Marin because of the work, but if you're Asian and have the scratch you can buy your mansion in Marin and move right in.

Old 12-11-2007, 05:08 PM

10 posts, read 41,303 times
Default Asians in Marin?

Well, Marin is like much of America--it is a racist place and the Civil Rights Act didn't have much real, in-the-heart impact any more than it did anywhere else in this country.

The comment made about the initial vote on BART decades ago was right on--when the map of the then-proposed BART system was publicised and people could see a direct line from Oakland to Marin, that was the end of THAT proposal. Marin opted out of the BART system, and the powers that be in Marin will live with the horrors of the Golden Gate Bridge & what it means for job commuting until it falls over. But we love our $15-roundtrip ferries. Marin has intentionally priced itself out of & above the social troubles that plague us (well, except for Marin City, but the powers that be are still working on that). And Marin is a destination for thousands of people who come across our southern border, so there are a great number of affluent Americans in Marin, particularly southern Marin, and thousands of Hispanic immigrants who have come to Marin because, well, there are so many affluent Americans here. And many Bay Area cities & towns are, stupidly, so-called 'sanctuary cities' as regards immigration, which means they don't ask people for immigration papers or ask criminals if they are here legally, and refuse to assist Federal authorities in actions that enforce US immigration laws. But I digress.

Residents of the Bay Area will use a specific term to describe social conditions in certain Bay Area communities--that term is "the same problem". And so Vallejo has "the same problem" as Richmond. Which means Vallejo has a core black community that is socially rather chaotic, as is the case in Richmond. More recently, Vallejo is undergoing a transformation--the same can not be said for Richmond. And of course Oakland has 'the same problem as Richmond', only it's much larger.

This is the truth of it. This is the truth of it in any urban area in the United States that has a significant African-American population. And this is the case all over the world, I hope you know. America doesn't corner the market on racism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland