Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:19 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,131,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fantastic View Post

Tell me, how could you recommend Oakland, the MOST dangerous large city in CA, a city that regularly has over 100 homicides a year, and has a 52% dropout rate to people looking to raise their families?

Truth is, it is almost 2 separate cities, if not 3. The SL Blvd/ Edes/98th ave area and mentality, and then there is the Lincoln Ave/Park Blvd/ Rockridge area and mentality and then there is something in between.

I know people who are quite happy living in Oakland. They send their kids to private schools (St. Elizabeth, Bishop O Dowd, etc...) and enjoy their neighborhoods, locations, and diversity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 01:05 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,623,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakland Uptown View Post
LOL Now he owns two properties in two of the most expensive area's in the country, along with in Mission Viejo. Also owns a Red Sports car and has a PhD from Berkeley. What sane adult still has these type of fantasies and acts them out on message boards. Are you also an astronaut and race car driver too?
I'm waiting for him to claim that he bangs supermodels and has regular telephone conversations with Obama, Cameron, and Sarkozy.

If he was really concerned with solving Oakland's problems with violence he would apply to work for the OPD. That supposed "PhD" hasn't exactly worked out too well for him.

I notice his posts on the OC board aren't constantly bashing Santa Ana, Stanton, Cypress, or Garden Grove in the same way his posts on this board are constantly bashing Oakland.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:36 AM

2,352 posts, read 5,256,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Yet 98% of your posts in here have to do with trashing Oakland. Yeah this thread is comparing Marin vs Alameda but on plenty of other threads that having nothing to do with Marin or SF you just troll around baiting people.

Stop trying to play dumb, everyone sees through your BS. You derail and are a sh*t disturber on most of the threads you post in. It seems to get you off which is very disturbing and sick.
I'll take that as a yes.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
If they're affordable enought that people making middle class wages can afford to live in them, then they're probably affordable. Dimond is definitely affordable for the bay area.

And everybody's been asking you that exact same question... we're taking your word for it that you have a Phd, which is likely a lie.
My academic accomplishments aside, what makes you think that a $60,000 is enough to live comfortably in an area where the home prices are literally 5-6 times that amount?

That's actually very unaffordable.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
I'm waiting for him to claim that he bangs supermodels and has regular telephone conversations with Obama, Cameron, and Sarkozy.

If he was really concerned with solving Oakland's problems with violence he would apply to work for the OPD. That supposed "PhD" hasn't exactly worked out too well for him.

I notice his posts on the OC board aren't constantly bashing Santa Ana, Stanton, Cypress, or Garden Grove in the same way his posts on this board are constantly bashing Oakland.
It's funny you bring those cities up. Oakland has more violent crime than all four of them combined.

Old 06-11-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
Truth is, it is almost 2 separate cities,
... and I've been making this point for the past 2-3 months.

Oakland is basically "nice hill homes", and decrepit crime filled slums. Oakland isn't a healthy city.

Old 06-11-2010, 07:10 PM

308 posts, read 467,880 times
Quote:
... and I've been making this point for the past 2-3 months.

Oakland is basically "nice hill homes", and decrepit crime filled slums. Oakland isn't a healthy city.
That's a rather simplistic and inaccurate representation of Oakland. Besides the hills and the "crime filled slums"' there are thousands of residents in many other nice areas. Oakland, large in area, the geographic center of the bay area, mild but sunny climate, waterfront, lake and hills has immense potential. I'm in Oakland several times a week and live in adjacent Alameda. In terms of personal safety, I don't see any real difference in Oakland than when I lived in SF. It's a city, good areas and bad and you need to keep your guard up. Just like you should in SF or else you'll learn that quick enough. If thats not your thing, then find a nice safe burb and all that comes or doesn't come with it.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:53 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,773,073 times
Quote:
My academic accomplishments aside, what makes you think that a $60,000 is enough to live comfortably in an area where the home prices are literally 5-6 times that amount?

That's actually very unaffordable.

It's called renting.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
It's called renting.
Yeah, a family of 4 is going to be real comfortable in a 2 bedroom apartment.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:07 PM

6,914 posts, read 14,773,073 times
Quote:
Yeah, a family of 4 is going to be real comfortable in a 2 bedroom apartment.
ROFL... you make it patently obvious that you've never done apartment life before. Come to think of it, you've probably been rich all your life. Enjoy what you have while you have it... I can only imagine the kind of mental breakdown you'd have if you couldn't afford to live in Mission Viejo anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland