Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2009, 10:37 AM

1,836 posts, read 3,829,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
do the dish services still have to be hooked up to a phone line?
I've got DirecTV and all of my sat boxes are hooked into the grid through my wireless network. Easy to do and provides a much faster experience than plugging into Ma Bell...

BN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 08:49 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,436,341 times
We just got our TWC bill, and again are reminded why we need to keep shopping services. WOW.

And camper1, I'm sure you're a little biased! :P

We get flyers all the time regarding Dish and DirecTV, for about $20 a month intro price - we had Dish before when we lived in Westcreek, and they had to aim the dish just over the tree line, and we got spotty service. It was actually cheaper for us to cancel the service and pay the fee, than to finish out our contract. We went back to TWC. But, I do miss having a DVR and lots of channels!

TWC is charging us 64.95/mo for Digipic 1000. That's not including our RR and phone service.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:16 AM

475 posts, read 1,096,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I don't have my Dish Network connected to the phone lane. Never had. I don't pay $5 for not connecting it, nor saw anything on the bill indicating that I have to. And we are talking about last 10+ years. I thought that the phone line is just for people who order movies on PPV. But I might be wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
If I'm not mistaken, the $5 monthly fee for not connecting a phone line applies to customers who have one of their dual tuner receivers.
You are correct, but even if you do have a dual tuner receiver, you can get away with not connecting it to a phone line and not paying a fee; that is what I have. It is all about getting them to put the right note/code on your account.

Also, if you have the receiver connected to the internet (I don't), I think you may also be able to get away without connecting to the phone line.

Old 12-17-2009, 09:34 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,065,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwrober View Post
We just got our TWC bill, and again are reminded why we need to keep shopping services. WOW.

And camper1, I'm sure you're a little biased! :P

We get flyers all the time regarding Dish and DirecTV, for about $20 a month intro price - we had Dish before when we lived in Westcreek, and they had to aim the dish just over the tree line, and we got spotty service. It was actually cheaper for us to cancel the service and pay the fee, than to finish out our contract. We went back to TWC. But, I do miss having a DVR and lots of channels!

TWC is charging us 64.95/mo for Digipic 1000. That's not including our RR and phone service.
Hey... watch it buddy. Actually I was fine with TWC until this last change. We switched to ATT with the understanding that if I didn't just love it we would switch back. There was trouble getting us connected at first ( we were to far down the line????) but they kept at it untill they got it right.

I am one happy camper now. Except when we go camping and I want to pause the tv.

Old 12-17-2009, 01:33 PM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
844 posts, read 1,633,082 times
I've had TW for a long time, it has been one problem after another.......... My neighbor just signed on with AT&T uverse one month ago, and is very happy. I am considering it now......no contracts!! Apparently, they have a signup promotion at this time, and their rates appear to be reasonable.......AT&T DSL, AT&T U-verse, AT&T DIRECTV, AT&T Phone, AT&T Long Distance, AT&T Bundles

http://dealnews.com/AT-T-400-Visa-Pr...ss_dealnews_20

Old 12-17-2009, 03:08 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,758,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasCovertCarry View Post
I have UVerse and I love it. Dont believe the hype that watching HD movies and using the internet at the same time will slow you down on UVerse. Total crap. The sound quality is excellent as is the video quality. You can get about 350-400 channels for about 120 a month including 10mbps internet. I have my phone through the normal ATT service, not UVerse.
Really! My husband and I are having major problems with TWC at the moment. Especially with their billing department. They charged us $8.00 for something that they didnot write down what it was and they said they have no clue but we have to pay it. Also TWC has changed their statements issuing late notices before the actual statement is sent. This happened to us and we paid our bill at least a week and a half before it is due. The only thing is we want to go with ATT UVerse but are afraid as we are in the process of buying a house. You know what they say don't change a thing while buying

Do you really like it? Would you highly recommend it as an alternative?

Old 12-17-2009, 03:11 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,758,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittykat13 View Post
I've had TW for a long time, it has been one problem after another.......... My neighbor just signed on with AT&T uverse one month ago, and is very happy. I am considering it now......no contracts!! Apparently, they have a signup promotion at this time, and their rates appear to be reasonable.......AT&T DSL, AT&T U-verse, AT&T DIRECTV, AT&T Phone, AT&T Long Distance, AT&T Bundles

AT&T: $400 Visa card with U-verse purchase - dealnews.com
Lately it seems that way! We had TWC in NYC and never had a problem. As soon as we got here to San Antonio it has been one problem after another. Some days we have such bad reception that you would have thought we had a dish even after we reboot the box! When we call to complain one lady had the gall to say there is nothing they can do about it! When I ask for a supervisior she actually said well he can't help you either.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:18 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,444,391 times
I just decided to go over to the dark side and switch to u-verse. I have a question, though. My install date just happens to be the same day my two-year price lock ends. Do they share this information? or was that just a coincidence? The price ended up being about the same, but I'll have DVR capability in all four rooms and get the $400 card plus $10 off 6 bills for paperless statements. I was hoping it would be cheaper.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:30 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,925,613 times
I saw an article today that DirecTV is being sued by an attorney general from some state for decptive practise and billing irregularities. I've been happy with DirecTV...for the most part. I'm thinking about checking out uverse and or Dish. I've had billing problems with DirecTV. They billed for stuff i didn't have and then tried to bell me for ending my contract when I hadn't. Same thing they are being sued for by a state i can't remeber.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:33 PM

2,438 posts, read 7,024,880 times
I have had Uverse for a while now.. and to be honest.. I have not had any problems with it what so ever. I have never had any service calls. I think the service went out on me one time and that was due to an electrical outage.. which is not their fault. Would I go to TWC again? Nope.. not on your life.. in the end I wound up having problems after problems with TWC and their service.. forget it... I would rather watch people play in the streets for entertainment before I go back to TWC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio