Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 07:12 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,407,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtticMonkey View Post
Call Time Warner and complain about the hike. They will reduce your bill. Mine went up $20 a couple months ago and all I did is call them and ask them to get it back to where it was. They ended up getting it $5 cheaper then before. When you look at other providers with TV+Internet TW prices really aren't that bad.
Yeah I did that too earlier this year when I received a letter in the mail from Time Warner saying they were going to go up on my 24.99 Internet promotional-special. I called and they said since I wasn't on a contract that it might still go up but they weren't sure.

After some conversation explaining to them that I was a new customer (really was) and that I was dissapointed that they might raise it just after I signed up for their 24.99 promo...they went ahead and did something to my account so I would pay 24.99 for A WHOLE YEAR no extra fees or taxes, or surcharges.

As for cable TV, I'm very fortunate that I get basic cable for free (not digital). If I ever moved, I'd probably go with DirectTV or Dish depending on the "deal" that I find.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2010, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
I had WAY more outages with Time Warner than DirecTv. If a storm is VERY severe, and right above your house will the signal be lost. I have never seen the signal lost for more than 30 minutes.
That's what initially worried me about Directv and Dish. My Dad wanted to go that route but I convinced him to go with Time Warner digital cable. He likes it.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Been with Directv since 2001. [...]. I also like the ability to add an external hard drive to quadruple recording capacity.
What? No way! Wow, never knew that. That means the amount of space is endless!

Does it hook up to a USB port on the Directv cable box or how else?

I wonder if Dish offers this as well or only Directv.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:37 PM

4,330 posts, read 7,237,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post

Although I don't currently have their service, I know Dish also offers a USB hard drive option. In fact, for a one time $40 activation fee, you can buy an off-the-shelf USB hard drive and turn some of their non-DVR receivers into a DVR with no monthly DVR fee.

Now that Dish is offering free HD (the HD versions of the SD channels included in a subscribed package) for life to new and existing customers who sign up for AutoPay (and I think DirecTV has responded with something similar for NEW customers) the Satellite option is looking even better.

Old 06-13-2010, 07:41 PM

56 posts, read 115,785 times
I finally switched to DirecTV this week after 9 years with TWC. All I can say is WOW, it is night and day, black and white difference! I am angry that I waited so long to switch. TWC signal is so compressed, even the HD channels are not very clear. Especially ABC and ESPN. DirecTV's picture is crystal clear perfect, I really can't believe the difference. It is nearly Blu Ray quality, it would be hard to compare which is which if you had a Blue Ray and D* side by side. Menus, settings, remote scheduling of DVRs, etc...you cannot compare it to TWC. Check out their website, it is great, gives you tons of info so you can see what I am talking about. Companies constantly say their product is better than somebody else's, part of the retail game. But DirecTV delivers.

Watching the NBA Finals right now with a perfect picture. No pixelation or audio issues like I was constantly getting with TWC. Amazing.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:00 PM

5,142 posts, read 13,123,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiccaTX View Post
I've got twc..have had no problems..price package for what I wanted is fine by me. I've never had a problem with the service but customer service is a phone call away and not just during banking hours. There are offices all over the place.

I think...you can get bad things happening no matter where you go.

I guess I've been one of the lucky ones...
Me too! I just have internet and I've only had one issue with somebody (not sure who?) disconnecting our cable at the main box in our building in the four years I've lived in my complex. Technician came out at said time and was gone in 10 minutes. $45/month for internet that has been reliable for our household is good. Don't need any other services.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:24 PM

8,238 posts, read 10,728,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsa210tx View Post

It hooks up via an eSATA connection on the back of the receiver. Most "DVR Extender" type external hardrives are eSATA and come with the cable. As it stands today the largest drive you can connect is 2.5TB but it is expected that the cap will come off and any size will be supported.

Also the only time weather affects it is if you get those really black clouds. The usual thunderstorm wont knock it out.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:27 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,134,615 times
I had Dish Network for one year because I signed a one year contract. I had more weather related signal loss, and flaky deals. I am absolutely delighted with DirecTV, and I hate to quote their commercials, but when you compare apples to apples, DirecTV wins EVERY TIME, in every way.

The "great" deals you see Dish Network advertise excludes many good popular networks.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Although I don't currently have their service, I know Dish also offers a USB hard drive option. In fact, for a one time $40 activation fee, you can buy an off-the-shelf USB hard drive and turn some of their non-DVR receivers into a DVR with no monthly DVR fee.

Now that Dish is offering free HD (the HD versions of the SD channels included in a subscribed package) for life to new and existing customers who sign up for AutoPay (and I think DirecTV has responded with something similar for NEW customers) the Satellite option is looking even better.
One minor correction. Directv is offering free HD service for NEW customers as you said. For existing customers you get 2yrs free. The expectation based on the Directv insiders I talk to is that you will never see the end of that 2yrs free because Directv is going to do away with the charge all together.

Old 06-13-2010, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasboy1022 View Post
I finally switched to DirecTV this week after 9 years with TWC. All I can say is WOW, it is night and day, black and white difference! I am angry that I waited so long to switch. TWC signal is so compressed, even the HD channels are not very clear. Especially ABC and ESPN. DirecTV's picture is crystal clear perfect, I really can't believe the difference. It is nearly Blu Ray quality, it would be hard to compare which is which if you had a Blue Ray and D* side by side. Menus, settings, remote scheduling of DVRs, etc...you cannot compare it to TWC. Check out their website, it is great, gives you tons of info so you can see what I am talking about. Companies constantly say their product is better than somebody else's, part of the retail game. But DirecTV delivers.

Watching the NBA Finals right now with a perfect picture. No pixelation or audio issues like I was constantly getting with TWC. Amazing.
If your receiver is networked (connected to the internet) you'll get blu-ray quality on VOD (video on demand) because it is available in 1080p, of course if your tv supports it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio