Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 06:08 PM

898 posts, read 2,897,550 times

Advertisements

I know, its been asked already, but one more time cant hurt. I need to ditch TW, and soon. what do you all have? and whats the monthly bill like? I have 3 tv's, one of them with a digital cable box, and internet, and its way too expensive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2011, 06:28 PM

944 posts, read 2,042,396 times
What do you want your monthly bill to be? You can get basic cable packages with Dish or DirectTV for pretty cheap, though you'll probably have to fight to keep them at those rates after the first year is up.

Old 06-08-2011, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
What do you want your monthly bill to be? You can get basic cable packages with Dish or DirectTV for pretty cheap, though you'll probably have to fight to keep them at those rates after the first year is up.
we are paying 130 dollars a month. anything cheaper would be nice

Old 06-08-2011, 08:19 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,562,019 times
UVerse 200 service with 4 boxes, HD/DVR, Pro internet (I think 3 mbps), about $115/month before taxes

Old 06-08-2011, 08:26 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,823,614 times
Been with DirecTV for a few years. Switched from TWC and have been happy with the change since day one.

Better PQ. Better sound (spatial quality). Those two things alone are enough to make me never, ever switch back to TWC overly-compressed HD channels. The quality of their signal is crap.

BN

Old 06-08-2011, 08:43 PM

4,337 posts, read 7,246,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backliteyes View Post
You can get basic cable packages with Dish or DirectTV for pretty cheap, though you'll probably have to fight to keep them at those rates after the first year is up.
Dish Network's basic package is called Dish America, and currently goes for $34.99/mo., after expiration of promotional pricing. It includes 60+ channels, mostly all HD, except for "public interest" channels. DirecTV's basic package is called "Choice", includes 150+ channels, and currently goes for $60.99/mo., after expiration of promotional pricing. No HD channels included in that price, except for some existing customers who got in on a now-expired promotion. Neither the above Dish and DirecTV pricing includes additional receivers, or DVR service.

Dish network looks to be the better deal for someone who just wants basic service, but DirecTV may be a better deal on higher end packages.

But if you're looking to bundle phone and internet with your TV service, the satellite companies can't do much, if anything, for you. You'll have to go elsewhere for those services. AT&T DSL is usually pretty solid, but in-town download speeds are usually limited to 6mbps or 3mbps, less in some fringe areas.

Old 06-08-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
Dish Network's basic package is called Dish America, and currently goes for $34.99/mo., after expiration of promotional pricing. It includes 60+ channels, mostly all HD, except for "public interest" channels. DirecTV's basic package is called "Choice", includes 150+ channels, and currently goes for $60.99/mo., after expiration of promotional pricing. No HD channels included in that price, except for some existing customers who got in on a now-expired promotion. Neither the above Dish and DirecTV pricing includes additional receivers, or DVR service.

Dish network looks to be the better deal for someone who just wants basic service, but DirecTV may be a better deal on higher end packages.

But if you're looking to bundle phone and internet with your TV service, the satellite companies can't do much, if anything, for you. You'll have to go elsewhere for those services. AT&T DSL is usually pretty solid, but in-town download speeds are usually limited to 6mbps or 3mbps, less in some fringe areas.
very interesting. I'm the only person who cares about HD in my house, so I'd have to choose dish network. and I was looking at that very same package last night, the "Dish America" one. it looks pretty good. we are all good with our phone service

Old 06-09-2011, 01:59 AM

502 posts, read 934,981 times
I have dtv and clear bill is never higher than 80 bucks. I will never use time Warner again!

Old 06-09-2011, 03:34 AM

4,065 posts, read 5,650,752 times
Broadcast, very cheap, no bill.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:06 AM

246 posts, read 433,933 times
I have done some research in the past but cannot see any major decrease in what I pay for Cable and Internet. My TW bill is 120 and I have everything except for the premium channels (HBO etc) I have two HD boxes and 4 other TVs on regular analog cable. You can get all the local stations in HD without a box using the QAM tuner. To get the best price you have to ask for a guaranteed price lock or whatever they call it. I got really tired of calling to argue price every 6mo after temporary price deals expire.

The problem I have seen is how do I get fast internet without TW. I have turbo RR and it is super fast. (30 down and 2 up) It is always up and working.

Have thought about going with internet only and OTA (broadcast) but cannot do with out ESPN and my wife would leave without HGTV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio