Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 09:13 AM

64 posts, read 135,902 times

Advertisements

Actually, I misspoke regarding the cost of cable/satellite before ... it's closer to 1200.00 per year plus the cost of sports packages, on average. If you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay to watch a weekly(?) hockey match? I'm glad you enjoy paying outrageous sums of money when you don't have to. Did I mention that Hockey games are also on broadcast tv in HD? You make it sound like you already had the free set-up and then switched back to paying ... but the hard truth is that no one even considered this new digital broadcast tv because the they (mega-media-giants) concealed the truth from those of you who pay and pay BIG, too. The simple truth is that free digital HD-tv available ota has everything you'd want including NO BILL! Their con worked; back in 2/2008, they ran a paid commercial disguised as a PSA to intentionally misinform and mislead you about digital broadcast antenna tv! What do you think about that? Too much truth, hunh ... difficult to swallow.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2011, 09:20 AM

Carlita's Way, why not supplement your Netflix subscription with a free subscription to ota (over-the-air) antenna broadcast tv? It's in HD (high definition) too. The antenna I use is fantastic, I love it. And I've never had any outages ... I scan my converter box (as opposed to a cable box) morning and night and whalaa - wonderful free tv that I'm in control of, bill free.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:35 AM

KittyKat,
The best things in life are free! Speaking of which, did you know that tv is now free? With the right antenna, that is. Just when we thought nothing in life was free. The important things in life have always been free. It's just that we are too caught up in the world and it's commercial aspects. Sharing time with loved ones and communing with nature are just a few of the free things in life. We just need to step off the commercial train for a much needed break from chaos.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:37 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,493,804 times
I think we get it.... please stop already.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:52 AM

GED,
Why bother with the headaches at all. You do realize that you no longer have to suffer thru the pains with these pay-tv companies, don't you? In fact, you could use this knowledge as leverage for negotiating a lower rate if you feel you cannot do without paying for some sort of pay-tv (cable/satellite). Just tell them that you are going to cut the cord and switch to the free ota broadcast tv and see how fast they negotiate and plead with you to stay, esp. if you are paying high amounts every month. They don't want to see your gravy-train end.
Man, some people have too much tv technology than is necessary to live well. What's that about? Heck, I'm retired and home all day and don't watch that much tv, and even with all the free ota broadcast channels on, it's even too much. Paying for tv just seems so insane given that most of the same channels are available for free, esp. considering that most people aren't even home to watch it. They are paying for something that they don't even have time to watch. Clearly, the only explanation for all this insanity is that no one knows that they could be enjoying the same ride for FREEE! You can record free programs in the same way that pay programs are recorded. There's no difference with one exception - no bill. I've heard every kind of excuse, and believe me that's all they are, for not making the switch to free tv. But the reality is that no one knows that one, it's available, and two, that it's easy to do once you clear your mind of cable comparisons. Surely you remember how it was pre-cable, don't you? It's the same as it once was, only 10 times better because of the new digital signal.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:03 AM

Why aren't you all talking about the new free digital (HD) tv available ota, also called antenna broadcast tv? Why are you only comparing the crooks, who kept this free tv knowledge secret. Oh, never mind, I answered my own question. No one knows about this free service, intentionally and on-purpose. They don't want their gravy-train to end. But it's only a matter of time, baby. Once word gets out, widespread, cable/satellite/Fios is dead - bang. Looking forward to that day, when their reign is over, they are tyrants and bullies. Tell them you are going to switch to the free and see how willing they are to negotiate with you to keep your business. There's alot of money at stake here people.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas34 View Post
Well, I guess it all depends on which Customer Service rep you get when you call in. The one I got could care less if we stayed or went. I didn't call in and right off the bat threaten to leave. I said that our contract was up & wanted to know what kind of deals they were offering. I was told since I was an existing customer I didn't qualify for anything. That's when I said other companies were offering better deals to get my service & she told me that I could go. Since my husband was not thrilled with the quality of their service from pretty much day one, we decided to go somewhere else. I know alot of people like DirectTV but I also know people who had experiences like ours. We went back to TWC when this happened which was last summer & have been happy with them. That's why we have choices - so everyone can choose the product that is right for them. I'm glad you are happy with them & got all those discounts. I just wanted to tell my experience.

Texas 34,
You need to use a secret weapon/negotiating tool - - the free ota tv.

Another reason that they didn't react to your threat to quit, was that you didn't tell them that you were going to switch to the free service. They are still counting on the fact that it's a SECRET (no one knows they have this option), the free ota (over-the-air) antenna broadcast tv. You are gonna love it.

Remember how it used to be, pre-cable? It's just like that only ten times better with more channels, plus it's a better picture due to digital, and alot of channels are broadcast in HD (high definition). The picture quality on cable channels is fuzzy due to it's signal being compressed from having to go thru a middleman. Whereas the free signal is the true direct-tv coming direct from the air or ota. Dig?

Old 06-29-2011, 10:49 AM

779 posts, read 1,668,164 times
you know....in regards to the OP:
this is a "san antonio" forum, where the OP asked the San Antonio citizens which of the providers in the area everyone uses.

so how does someone from Delaware take over the forum by pushing free OTA topics?
just my two cents. not getting into a child's quarrel over this, just pointing out the obvious.

Old 06-29-2011, 04:37 PM

4,381 posts, read 7,327,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanrush View Post
GED,
Why bother with the headaches at all. You do realize that you no longer have to suffer thru the pains with these pay-tv companies, don't you? In fact, you could use this knowledge as leverage for negotiating a lower rate if you feel you cannot do without paying for some sort of pay-tv (cable/satellite). Just tell them that you are going to cut the cord and switch to the free ota broadcast tv and see how fast they negotiate and plead with you to stay, esp. if you are paying high amounts every month. They don't want to see your gravy-train end.
Suzanrush, free OTA is exactly what I have been doing for a while, along with a recently-added streaming device.

I've had U-verse, DirecTV, Dish, and Time Warner in the past. I've always subscribed to lower-end/lowest-end programming packages, but regardless of provider, annual price hikes have been the norm. Upon my cancellation request, DirecTV & U-verse both offered discounts as a last-ditch effort to keep me, but understand, I wasn't a high-dollar customer to begin with.

Free OTA isn't going to satisfy everyone, and frankly, other than Spanish-language fare, the digital sub-channel offerings in San Antonio (DMA #37), are pretty meager, IMO. I may end up going back to a pay-TV service at some point, but aside from Dish, there generally is little or nothing offered in the way of non-promotional priced programming packages for less than about $60/month.

Quote:
For instance, the really good antennas aren't available in stores locally.
True. I don't think the traditional rooftop antennas are stocked by local San Antonio retailers, anymore.

Old 06-29-2011, 05:05 PM

8,239 posts, read 10,787,329 times
Quote:
Actually, I misspoke regarding the cost of cable/satellite before ... it's closer to 1200.00 per year plus the cost of sports packages, on average. If you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay to watch a weekly(?) hockey match? I'm glad you enjoy paying outrageous sums of money when you don't have to. Did I mention that Hockey games are also on broadcast tv in HD? You make it sound like you already had the free set-up and then switched back to paying ... but the hard truth is that no one even considered this new digital broadcast tv because the they (mega-media-giants) concealed the truth from those of you who pay and pay BIG, too. The simple truth is that free digital HD-tv available ota has everything you'd want including NO BILL! Their con worked; back in 2/2008, they ran a paid commercial disguised as a PSA to intentionally misinform and mislead you about digital broadcast antenna tv! What do you think about that? Too much truth, hunh ... difficult to swallow.?
Actually you didnt read what I wrote. I said I dont get to see "MY" team play without Directv. I think they might have played once or twice (out of 82 games) on NBC.

To put that into perspective I pay $160/mo for Directv plus $149/yr for NHL Center Ice or a total of $2070/yr. Season tickets for my family of 3 at the absolute cheapest would $902/person or $2706 for the family (Assuming I lived in the city in which they play). With that package I also get to see the games of all 29 other teams. So instead of spending $700 more per year I pay Directv, get to see my hockey team play and get all the TV I can handle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio