Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 11:44 AM

165 posts, read 464,107 times

Advertisements

We recently moved to San Antonio (last week) and as we wait in our hotel for our house to be ready we are trying to figure out which cable, internet, phone provider to go with.

I would love any and all opinions on what company you all prefer and the pros and cons of each. ANY input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!!

Last edited by holmesmic; 12-26-2008 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: fix typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2008, 12:27 PM

4,263 posts, read 10,828,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesmic View Post
We recently moved to San Antonio (last week) and as we wait in our hotel for our house to be ready we are trying to figure out which cable, internet, phone provider to go with.

I would love any and all opinions on what company you all prefer and the pros and cons of each. ANY input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks a bunch!!
Click "search this forum" in the right hand corner...then type Time Warner and voila!! Over 100 threads appear.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:49 PM

874 posts, read 2,894,939 times
No experience with Time Warner. When we first moved back here, we had Grande Communications because that was the only thing available in our apartment complex. Once we moved into a house, we chose AT&T U-verse - we have cable and internet through them. We have not had any problems and we have liked the service thus far. Installation was pretty quick and the guy who did the installation was polite and willing to answer any ?s before he left. Internet speed is good. Cable has a few different packages available. I think we have U-300 (husband did all of the arrangements, so I can't remember for sure what he got) - whatever we have has an inordinate amount of sports channels. Our service came with one DVR free. I think another DVR is an extra $5 a month. You can record up to 4 shows at one time and, if you forgot to set it up to record before you left home, you can go on their website and set up the recording from there. When we signed up they were giving a $200 rebate - not sure if this is still going on.

Old 12-26-2008, 01:50 PM

778 posts, read 2,504,540 times
Now that they have rolled out and gotten the kinks worked out, I'll take the AT&T UVerse over TW any day. I wouldn't have said that a year ago when I got it, but considering the price is about the same (or maybe less), UVerse is just so much better. I love the DVR working in all the rooms, not just the one room that has the box. Also, more HD channels.

Assumming you will package it with Internet, I can tell you in all honesty, my Internet has not been down one single time since we have had it. I went through aboyt 6 different cable modems when I was with TW Roadrunner, and it was nothing to have the Internet go out simply because it was raining in my neighborhood.

I'm sure there are lots of folks who are just happy with TW, but I suspect they have not had UVerse yet.

Old 12-26-2008, 02:11 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,559,856 times
I used to swear I'd never go to AT&T - had a horrid experience with them in Indiana and swore off them forever.

But. We've had TW for a couple of years now and it's a PITA. We only have internet access (no cable TV and no land line for the phone). We did have cable TV for about 10 months (mostly free because they kept offering another 3 months free when I'd call to cancel) and it seemed to work fine. However, our internet goes out far too frequently and they can never seem to fix the problem easily. We're now looking into something else, and it looks like that may be AT&T and i'll have to swallow my words...

Old 12-26-2008, 02:30 PM

778 posts, read 2,504,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaka View Post
I used to swear I'd never go to AT&T - had a horrid experience with them in Indiana and swore off them forever.
Chaka, was it UVerse that you had or was it some Dish sort of thing AT&T was working with? UVerse is only a little over a year old (I think) and I know they just went over 1 million subscribers nation wide, so the rollout is still fairly new.

If you had UVerse when it was new and you had a bad experience, I can believe it. I had a bad experience too! But now that they have worked out the kinks, it is awesome.

Old 12-26-2008, 03:01 PM

4,307 posts, read 9,559,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post
Chaka, was it UVerse that you had or was it some Dish sort of thing AT&T was working with? UVerse is only a little over a year old (I think) and I know they just went over 1 million subscribers nation wide, so the rollout is still fairly new.

If you had UVerse when it was new and you had a bad experience, I can believe it. I had a bad experience too! But now that they have worked out the kinks, it is awesome.
Nah, this was in 2000 and it was just phone service. They royally screwed us on our international service and were complete jerks about it. My experience with other companies had always been that they bend over backwards to fix the problem, not so AT&T. They just said "Too bad. You owe us." Even though they screwed up. I fought it for months with no success.

Old 12-26-2008, 05:08 PM

2,163 posts, read 4,342,540 times
I moved here at the end of September and signed up with AT&T. Three weeks later I switched to Time Warner for phone and internet and have never looked back. AT&T didn't get my wireless internet working because the previous Internet account associated with my phone number had never been canceled. Three weeks, 10 phone calls, five hours on hold, three supervisors and several headaches later, I called Time Warner. TW came to my house the very next day (a Saturday) and I had my high speed Internet. I have only had to call TW customer service once, to set up a security password for my Internet, and it was quick and painless.

I was ready to jump through the phone and strangle the idiot AT&T customer service people. Never again!

Old 12-26-2008, 07:42 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,045,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropical Trouble View Post
I was ready to jump through the phone and strangle the idiot AT&T customer service people. Never again!
That sounds like me about every 6 months or so with Time-Warner. They must all go to the same training classes.

Old 12-27-2008, 11:41 AM

25 posts, read 80,980 times
AT&T all the way. As long as they have U-verse in your area, get it. I'm a former TW customer and I would never recommend it to anyone. All they do is give you a great deal, and then jack up the price when the special is over. Don't fall for their "Price Lock Guarantee" BS. ATT gives you the movie package (if you get the U300) and that's your price... that's it, no 6 months special or anything like that. The internet service is great, wireless works flawlessly, HD service is great. Among the minor/unimportant things the interface on the TV is awesome, instead of that still-from-the-80's interface that TW uses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio