Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 01:32 PM

247 posts, read 846,294 times

Advertisements

I have TW both internet & cable and have been happy for the most part(I hate what they charge but when doing the math AT&T would have cost me more). Service from them day or night has been outstanding. I have no issues with my Internet going out at all, I use my own modem not their rental. When I used their rental it seemed like a slower speed, now I'm at 11Mps.
You will find both in this town, people that swear by one and hate the other.
I don't like AT&T because I have 6 TV's and I'd have to outfit each one with a box, with TW it's straight cable on 5 and a DVR on the main tv in the living room. Anything I DVR, I watch during the day when DH is at work.
Issues with TW in the past have been line issues and were fixed right away, another time they added a signal booster. Like I said, service has been excellent.
I see just as many TW trucks in my gated neighborhood as AT&T so I don't think either is ever without problems.
Good luck with what you decide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2008, 02:45 PM

3 posts, read 18,034 times
AT&T Uverse all the way... my husband loves the NFL network by the way and I love that I can watch recorded movies and shows on a different DVR also our package was about $40 cheaper than Time Warner + more HD channels

Old 12-27-2008, 06:46 PM

431 posts, read 932,356 times
We always had TW, but after nonstop problems with our internet and being on customer service line for hours on end. We decided to make the switch to AT&T and what a world of change. Been over a year now with no problems at all. Not to mention the quality and amount of HD channels you get. Also nice having DVR in every room.

Old 12-27-2008, 09:43 PM

667 posts, read 1,571,512 times
I also had tons of problems with TW cable internet (spotty connection). Switched to UVerse as soon as they offered it about 2 years ago (I think our neighborhood was one of 1st to get it). There were some hiccups since it was a brand new offering but it has been nothing but awesome for the last 12 months. And they just keep upgrading things! Love it.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:32 PM

475 posts, read 1,096,669 times
Ok all you people signing up for Uverse... cut it out!

I already have Uverse and want to add a service (Voice), but am being told at&t won't come out and add the service for me since they are inundated with new installations.

Yikes! Too busy to take care of existing customers... sounds like at&t Uverse will lose their JD Power award. Not that it is worth anything to begin with. I might have to go to Time Warner.

Old 01-12-2009, 08:20 PM

1,221 posts, read 3,019,486 times
I see everyone is talking about TW, and AT&T, but does anyone have local (not from somewhere else) experience with DirecTV, or Dish? I have TW highspeed internet, and cable. My internet service is great! I have had to call in a couple times and had to reset my router, but that's it. My cable on the other hand SUX! I have the Showtime\TMC package, HD channels, and other basic channels 2-99. I can't stand having repeats (ie: ABC, ABC2, ABCHD, ABCOD) it's the biggest waste of channel flipping, and scam of looking like there are more channels than there are. Also there are only around 30 HD channels and I watch maybe 10 of them. When is EVERYTHING going to be in HD? I like the TXCN channel, but am not going to pay for another package just for one freakin channel.

Anyway, I have Dish at the lake house in East Texas, but am on a lower package because we are only there a couple days a month. In the past though when living at the ranch we had Dish, and the service lineup was far better when you pay for everything, and cheaper than that of TW. Also when I lived in Houston I had DirecTV wich had the best sports package I have seen, but my understanding is that the DirecTV lineup, and the U-verse is the same?? Another question is which service has the largest storage capacity on the DVR? I have TW right now, and I believe it holds up to 40hrs. or something. I record every episode of Ghost Hunters, and my wife records alot of old movies, and Grey's Anatomy so I want ALOT of space. Maybe I need to go the purchase route on the DVR though?

Anyway, what are your thoughts on other services?

One more question....I am thinking about dumping our collection of about 1000 DVD's that are taking up space for the Apple TV. Is this a good idea? Can you upload and save the movies on it permanently, and if so how much do they cost on average? How much space do they have, and in translation how many 2hr. movies is that? I also have heard that they are coming out with, or have already a few other "like" options to the Apple TV. Does anyone know anything about it?

Oh! As for phone service we stay strictly with the cell phones, but what do you say between the options of vonage, and skype? Or is it cheaper to add a phone with one of the above mentioned services rather than vonage? I make numerous international calls every month so I heard that Skype was my best option....is this true? I do not want a $.35c a min rate calling Brazil......but rather an inclusive plan.

Old 01-12-2009, 10:49 PM
cwh

345 posts, read 947,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by datacity View Post
Ok all you people signing up for Uverse... cut it out!

I already have Uverse and want to add a service (Voice), but am being told at&t won't come out and add the service for me since they are inundated with new installations.

Yikes! Too busy to take care of existing customers... sounds like at&t Uverse will lose their JD Power award. Not that it is worth anything to begin with. I might have to go to Time Warner.

When I signed up for their voice service I had to wait about a month to get it installed.

Old 01-13-2009, 04:37 AM

778 posts, read 2,510,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwh View Post
When I signed up for their voice service I had to wait about a month to get it installed.
Yikes! I'm getting ready to switch over to the digital voice too. A month seems a bit long. Maybe I can hijack one of the trucks I see in the neighborhood everyday.

Old 01-13-2009, 06:36 PM

475 posts, read 1,096,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post
Yikes! I'm getting ready to switch over to the digital voice too. A month seems a bit long. Maybe I can hijack one of the trucks I see in the neighborhood everyday.
I would gladly wait a month to get digital voice. I called and was told you can't get it period! They said I should have gotten it when I got Uverse originally installed... even though they did not offer it then.

I think I got a bad CSR, but she seemed to indicate that I am out of luck and that I should get the landline package that offers a similar feature set for $20 bucks more.

By the way, it does let me now sign up online via the my products tab, but with a February install and a $100 setup fee.

Old 01-14-2009, 05:51 AM
cwh

345 posts, read 947,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverCreek78250 View Post
Give them a call, I had to wait, but I got $10 unlimited calling for 6 months. So the wait was worth it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio