Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 07:36 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,731,642 times

Advertisements

Another vote for Directv.

Granted my bill is higher than the OP but I have their top tier package so you can certainly come in much lower.

So in my case.

Directv Premier (no clue what the actual package is going for these days)
HD Extra Package
2 HD DVRs
2 HD Receivers
Multi Room Viewing (allowing you to record on one DVR and watch it on any other receiver)

My bill comes it at about $160/mo. A drop in programming tier one level cuts like $50 off of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 07:50 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,889,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee W. View Post
Broadcast, very cheap, no bill.

Me too

I pay $50/month for internet and $10/month for netflix (which we have streaming to the bluray player).

The only one around here who really misses all those home improvement and cooking channels is my husband (those who can, do; those who can't, watch it on HGTV and Food Network).

Old 06-09-2011, 08:20 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,843,631 times
Been through this several times - hate the price of TW, but I keep looking around, and don't find any viable alternatives. Wish I could!! With my wife loving the house-watching on the HGTV shows, and my enjoyment of watching the various home improvement programs they offer for ideas on projects, it's pretty neat. That, and the History channel are two of our favs.

Old 06-09-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
Been through this several times - hate the price of TW, but I keep looking around, and don't find any viable alternatives. Wish I could!! With my wife loving the house-watching on the HGTV shows, and my enjoyment of watching the various home improvement programs they offer for ideas on projects, it's pretty neat. That, and the History channel are two of our favs.
If price is the #1 driving factor, you wont find any alternatives. Directv is probably more expensive, but it is a vastly superior product. The whole "you get what you pay for" mantra.

I certainly wouldnt begrudge anyone making their decision solely with their wallet, but with that comes with a lower level product.

There of course is the option of going with Netflix and Hulu and the various network websites (who stream their content), but if your wife is anything like mine she'll nix that idea as soon as you mention it.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:24 AM

584 posts, read 1,193,509 times
Directv fan here and our price is always all over the place because we subscribe to the NFL, Baseball and Hockey packages. We have two DVRs, two HD receivers and one regular receiver. We also have whole house DVR so we can watch recordings in any room except the regular receiver room. Each year we normally can upgrade a receiver for free. Never be afraid to call Directv and ask for something. I have gotten all kinds of stuff for free before and then my neighbor would find out and she would call and get the same deal. Always ask and they normally will do it if you are a good customer.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:32 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,625,335 times
i have DTV, about to ditch it in favor of netflix later this month. i pay 35 a month for dtv since i signed up about a year ago. picture quality is great, DVR, not so much.

so many times ill get 'cops' recorded only to find out its not cops. has happened to other programming also, specifically pawn stars and american pickers.

DTV tried updating my box, swapping it, etc etc, nothing has fixed it. the actual interface for recording programs and editing your list SUCKS. i have things scheduled to record during the afternoons when im usually busy, and they NEVER GET RECORDED. there are no conflicting shows being recorded at the time. there are no shows scheduled in that time frame, EVER, yet they dont get recorded.

for internets, i have ATT dsl, 6 meg package. my connection is rock solid, never had an outage like i used to get weekly (sometimes daily) on crap warner. IMO, 10 megs is more than enough for the end user in regards to speed. 30 megs is just stupid and if youre dumb enough to pay for it, i have a bridge id like to sell you.

what i love most about DSL is the awesome latency. no one on time warner has been able to duplicate my latency on dslreports.com. to the toronto speed test server, i consistantly get 10-25ms latency, all day long. to local texas servers, im talking 2-12ms latency, tops. granted, my NOC is about half a mile from me (broadway/hildebrand) and my lines are fiber, so YMMV

i pay 25 a month for my DSL package. ive been a customer for 3+ years, and the most ive ever paid was 38$ a month.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
i have DTV, about to ditch it in favor of netflix later this month. i pay 35 a month for dtv since i signed up about a year ago. picture quality is great, DVR, not so much.

so many times ill get 'cops' recorded only to find out its not cops. has happened to other programming also, specifically pawn stars and american pickers.

DTV tried updating my box, swapping it, etc etc, nothing has fixed it. the actual interface for recording programs and editing your list SUCKS. i have things scheduled to record during the afternoons when im usually busy, and they NEVER GET RECORDED. there are no conflicting shows being recorded at the time. there are no shows scheduled in that time frame, EVER, yet they dont get recorded.

for internets, i have ATT dsl, 6 meg package. my connection is rock solid, never had an outage like i used to get weekly (sometimes daily) on crap warner. IMO, 10 megs is more than enough for the end user in regards to speed. 30 megs is just stupid and if youre dumb enough to pay for it, i have a bridge id like to sell you.

what i love most about DSL is the awesome latency. no one on time warner has been able to duplicate my latency on dslreports.com. to the toronto speed test server, i consistantly get 10-25ms latency, all day long. to local texas servers, im talking 2-12ms latency, tops. granted, my NOC is about half a mile from me (broadway/hildebrand) and my lines are fiber, so YMMV

i pay 25 a month for my DSL package. ive been a customer for 3+ years, and the most ive ever paid was 38$ a month.
Before you ditch Directv you might want to check your commitment status. If you only signed up a year ago, you should still have a year left

Old 06-09-2011, 09:59 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,625,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Before you ditch Directv you might want to check your commitment status. If you only signed up a year ago, you should still have a year left
landlord wont allow dish to be roof mounted anymore. after tons of bitching, DTV is letting me out of my contract since they cant guarantee service with a pole-mounted dish. the best they could do is around 52% per feed on a pole, whereas i get a 98% signal with my roof dish.

Old 06-09-2011, 12:40 PM

361 posts, read 925,238 times
For internet, you have no choice but to use Time-Warner. Everyone else runs DSL-or-slower internet with throttling and usage caps (especially the wireless ones). For the modern youtube everyone-uses-flash-and-everybody-streams internet, 99% of all ISP's in America including San Antonio are all but totally unusable.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:21 PM

898 posts, read 2,897,209 times
well so far it's still looking like the Dish Network for me. the "dish america" package sounds right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio