Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 03:04 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,827,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexterCat View Post
IMO, 10 megs is more than enough for the end user in regards to speed. 30 megs is just stupid and if youre dumb enough to pay for it, i have a bridge id like to sell you.
First off, while you're insulting people with your post, at least learn to spell check the damned thing and use the correct amount of punctuation. Reading this made my head hurt.

Secondly, more than 10m down IS needed if you're streaming 1080p, doing a heavy amount of transfer or for any kind of decent looking video conferencing. Just because it's not right for YOU doesn't mean it's 'dumb' for others. Couth up.

BN
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 03:19 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,235,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Me too

I pay $50/month for internet and $10/month for netflix (which we have streaming to the bluray player).

The only one around here who really misses all those home improvement and cooking channels is my husband (those who can, do; those who can't, watch it on HGTV and Food Network).
Same here. I have TWC Internet only and OverTheAir TV. I stream Netflix/Hulu/etc over a Roku box and stream international news and sports channels live thru my PlayOn setup. Sometimes the display is not HD but that would depend on what, when and point of origination. TW encourages streaming of Netflix...

Most TV programming can be had to stream thru Tv-Links : Free Movies links, Watch Tv Shows links online, Anime, Documentaries, or like programming. No recording, just watch it when you want it.

I've recently started watching two Brit series which are new and are available the day after UK broadcast.

Old 06-09-2011, 06:48 PM

1,712 posts, read 4,148,382 times
For television, DirecTV is unbeatable. If Grande is avialable in your area, it's better tha TW

Old 06-09-2011, 08:05 PM

34 posts, read 45,534 times
Has anyone else noticed any "throttling" from TWC RoadRunner? I do alot of work from home and must transfer files to and from several locations via FTP. I noticed recently that if I am moving large files, after a certain heavy usage all the sudden my RR Turbo thats usually sustained at 15Mb slows to a crawl at best maybe big maybe I'll see 1Mb speeds. Now tie this in with I have 4 TVs in the house streaming Netflix and DirecTV VOD service, as well as various other streaming, Xbox Live etc and they all start to go down the tubes.

TW Swears they arent throttling yet I've proven them via their speed tests and 3rd party they are, but still at the mercy of incompetent far east tech support were one says its the modem, one says its my router, another says its the line, etc.

Funny its all been rock solid for years and now all the sudden when I am utilizing my "unlimited highspeed bandwidth" to its maximum potential, I suddenly get throttled for almost 24hrs (basically I have to not use internet for it to pickup and the minute it does... takes maybe 30mins of usage to drain it back down!)

No UVerse will not work for my situation and TW is the only one who can offer the speeds I need sadly... Wish Verizon FIOS would get moving into town already! I swear our Broadband industry has gone in the crapper no thanks to greedy corporations we are going backwards not forwards!

Here in Korea we're Im TDY I get a solid 130Mb down and 35Mb up speeds ALL the time no matter how much data I move and it costs about 25-30USD... Why the hell is it in the US its nothing even remotely close to those speeds/prices? Oh right because GREED of Corporations and its CEOs... grrr

Old 06-09-2011, 08:40 PM

4,358 posts, read 7,273,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishTR View Post
... Wish Verizon FIOS would get moving into town already!
I've heard very good things about Verizon FIOS, but I don't expect to see them expand to the San Antonio market in the foreseeable future, if ever.

For one thing, San Antonio was one of the launch cities for U-verse in 2006, in fact I think AT&T's U-verse operations are still headquartered here. There are extremely few markets nationwide where U-verse is available, that also have FIOS, and vice-versa. I believe the DFW area is the only sizable Texas market where Verizon FIOS is available, and is also one of those rare markets where there is some FIOS/U-verse overlap.

I know Verizon suspended expansion of FIOS territory a while back. Don't know if they've resumed yet.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:17 PM

8,239 posts, read 10,750,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishTR View Post
Has anyone else noticed any "throttling" from TWC RoadRunner? I do alot of work from home and must transfer files to and from several locations via FTP. I noticed recently that if I am moving large files, after a certain heavy usage all the sudden my RR Turbo thats usually sustained at 15Mb slows to a crawl at best maybe big maybe I'll see 1Mb speeds. Now tie this in with I have 4 TVs in the house streaming Netflix and DirecTV VOD service, as well as various other streaming, Xbox Live etc and they all start to go down the tubes.

TW Swears they arent throttling yet I've proven them via their speed tests and 3rd party they are, but still at the mercy of incompetent far east tech support were one says its the modem, one says its my router, another says its the line, etc.

Funny its all been rock solid for years and now all the sudden when I am utilizing my "unlimited highspeed bandwidth" to its maximum potential, I suddenly get throttled for almost 24hrs (basically I have to not use internet for it to pickup and the minute it does... takes maybe 30mins of usage to drain it back down!)

No UVerse will not work for my situation and TW is the only one who can offer the speeds I need sadly... Wish Verizon FIOS would get moving into town already! I swear our Broadband industry has gone in the crapper no thanks to greedy corporations we are going backwards not forwards!

Here in Korea we're Im TDY I get a solid 130Mb down and 35Mb up speeds ALL the time no matter how much data I move and it costs about 25-30USD... Why the hell is it in the US its nothing even remotely close to those speeds/prices? Oh right because GREED of Corporations and its CEOs... grrr
I work from home also and I havent seen throttling as much as specific times of the year when it slows down. I have found that January and May seem to be slow times of the year and Sunday is a slow day of the week. To me these seems like maintenance times The other reason I dont think they are throttling is that beyond certain times of the year there is no rhyme or reason to it slowing down. That said, for me it never slows down below 10mb so it never really affects much.

Old 06-09-2011, 09:25 PM

7,131 posts, read 11,869,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
If price is the #1 driving factor, you wont find any alternatives. Directv is probably more expensive, but it is a vastly superior product. The whole "you get what you pay for" mantra.

I certainly wouldnt begrudge anyone making their decision solely with their wallet, but with that comes with a lower level product.

There of course is the option of going with Netflix and Hulu and the various network websites (who stream their content), but if your wife is anything like mine she'll nix that idea as soon as you mention it.
Price, not so much - it's teaching the wife a different thing than she's used to - she does NOT do change well (I don't either, but I look like a virtual techie next to her). And we really don't watch THAT much TV - so what may drive a lot of others doesn't do as much for us. And since my email addy is on SO many customer databases, changing it would be a REAL PITA for me.<sigh>

Old 06-09-2011, 09:57 PM

34 posts, read 45,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
I work from home also and I havent seen throttling as much as specific times of the year when it slows down. I have found that January and May seem to be slow times of the year and Sunday is a slow day of the week. To me these seems like maintenance times The other reason I dont think they are throttling is that beyond certain times of the year there is no rhyme or reason to it slowing down. That said, for me it never slows down below 10mb so it never really affects much.

This has been happening since Oct 2010 till right now. Unfortunately my job has me traveling, and I also do alot of remote to home work etc as well so it screws with this. I just havent had the time to be around long enough to get on TW case about it as they keep wanting to try different things everytime I tell them I've been down that road. And unless I keep constant activity by time a tech makes it out its during the resumed non throttled period... I'm like listen I know what I'm talking about I do IT Forensic work for the Govt so I know a thing or two about computers and networks and I know when there is a problem how to identify where its coming from... They just want to constantly pass the buck off to hide what they are ultimately doing.

Anyhow ya I know FIOS is up in DFW area and I believe they hit Houston too sadly they wont come here because of the iron fist grip ATT and TWC have on the SA Area... Monopolies and such come to mind :/ Guess I just gotta move to get what I want (crummy solution if you ask me!)

Old 06-10-2011, 11:55 AM

17 posts, read 33,914 times
We had DirectTV & when our contract was up, I called to see what kind of deal they would give me to keep me as a customer and was told "none". I said that all the other companies were offering much better pricing & I could go to one of them. The customer service rep told me to go, so I did. Of course after I left, I got calls & letters offering me all sorts of things to switch back but it was too late by then - I told them they had their chance. Also, everytime we got the smallest bit of rain, the signal went out.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:10 PM

8,239 posts, read 10,750,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas34 View Post
We had DirectTV & when our contract was up, I called to see what kind of deal they would give me to keep me as a customer and was told "none". I said that all the other companies were offering much better pricing & I could go to one of them. The customer service rep told me to go, so I did. Of course after I left, I got calls & letters offering me all sorts of things to switch back but it was too late by then - I told them they had their chance. Also, everytime we got the smallest bit of rain, the signal went out.
To be honest, if you like your service, they shouldnt have to DO anything to keep you beyond continuing to deliver what you are paying for. I am also very surprised they offered "nothing" to keep you. I guess everyone's mileage varies but I can direct you to a website full of people (including myself) who have received multiple discounts.

As an example, the discount I received (I was upgrading my service) was:
HD Receiver -$99 (my cost $0)
HD Receiver - $99 (my cost $0)
Whole home DVR Service with internet connection kit - $149 (my cost $0)
NFL Sunday Ticket - $329.99 (my cost $169.99)

$680.00 worth of equipment and services for a total cost to me of $169.99 and I never once threatened to cancel. I just asked if they had any deals on upgrades (I was going to upgrade anyway)

As for rain fade, that is virtually a thing of the past. Proper dish peaking eliminates it unless the sky is pitch black with clouds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio