Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 10:50 AM

7,629 posts, read 16,479,907 times

Advertisements

Hi guys! Quick visit back to the forum and all I can tell you is EVERYONE we have talked into joining us here at Del Webb is VERY HAPPY with their choice. NOTHING is perfect....but this is as close as it gets in SA for sure!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masanddjs View Post
We have considered moving here, but I just read an article about another Pulte development that has had major problems in San Antonio. (The hills at rivermist).
Is anyone experiencing structural problems in their house in Hill Country Retreat? There are some Pulte homes here (Virginia) that are experiencing 2 foot cracks in their ceilings and this isn't even an area where the ground shifts like South Texas.
This was actually a CENTEX community that got bought out by Pulte. Just so you know.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:42 AM

I am not here to "defend" Del Webb Hill Country Retreat because as a resident I find nothing that needs defending....HOWEVER I certainly suggest those that "really want to know" about living here discuss it with those of us "that actually do live here". You will find the majority are totally thrilled and would never consider moving from here.

We are an adult community with a very nice livestyle that affords us all kinds of activities, amenities and benefits at our fingertips and a simple golf cart ride away.

Is it perfect....no, but where is??? Are there issues that some folks have....certainly, some people are never happy and some always feel entitled or "special". Yes, there are RULES....but anyone that gripes about them did not take the time to ready the covenants when they moved here because the are spelled out and given to EACH and EVERY buyer, regardless of pre-owned or new purchase.

That being said, there are a HUGE number (majority plus!) that LOVE it here and would not buy anywhere else.

There are rules, restriction and compliances. Just like with any HOA, some findd them acceptable to their lifestyle, some dont. The KEY issue here is we are a 55 and BETTER community that caters to our age group. We do not have school buses, graffiti, noise, speeders, loose animals, trash blowing around, and normal issues that you might find otherwise.

Our community is close knit, friendly and very, very fun.

Some folks seem to think Pulte builds an "inferior" product, but having owned 2 different Pulte homes (one in the Medical Center and one here) we love ours. NO issues, problems or concerns in either. Not to say that any builder is perfect....but we are and were very pleased with both homes.

I am amazed that those that don't live here (or do and choose not to join in the fun) see the need to degrade our choice of lifestyle. There are actually folks that live here and NEVER participate in ANY of the activities...and that is fine....to each their own. Just don't gripe about something you choose not to participate in or enjoy. Then there are those that don't even LIVE here that pass judgement on our choice. All I ask is PLEASE do not consider yourself an "expert" on what goes on here when you are not even part of it and have no idea!!!

Are there houses here for resale....yes, just like ANY neighborhood. Some have passed away, some have decided to move elsewhere (miss friends, climate, family) mostly "back" to kind of moves....something that they found they missed more than they ever realized they would. I do not know of a single person that moved away because they were "unhappy" here.

For the rest of us, it is a wonderful place to be and we HIGHLY recommend it to anyone looking for a "nice, close knit, friendly place to live".

We would not live anywhere else in SA....but then it is because we understand and agree with the "lifestyle" it offers.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:48 AM

5 posts, read 10,839 times
We have 6, maybe 7 homes on Cascade Hills where the foundtions cracked, Pulte did fix them, then in less than a year, they cracked again. The people who owned these homes went through hell. Having the foundation fixed the first time meant moving out while it was done and everything in the house cracking and needing to be replaced. The 2nd time, Pulte gave up and bought the houses back. Most were given other homes in the community. However, Pulte has done cosmetic touchups to these homes and are going to sell them! Talk about buyer beware.

Others in various neighborhoods have also had foundation problems. One I know had to hire a lawyer to get Pulte to fix it. Don't pay any attention to the sales staff telling you how wonderful the warrenty. They are quick to fix little things, but anything that will cost bucks and they will resist.

Saying all of this, I'll still say living here is NOT about the house, it is the life style and the people. However, getting a really lousy house could affect your life. Just be sure to hire a good inspector. Also, get on the website and read the message board to see some of the complaints.

The place is not for everyone....too many rules and signs. I keep having that song from the 70's going through my head...Sign, sign, everywhere a sign.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:46 PM

True...there ARE homes that back into the "water feature" outside our walls (and I am personally convinced that is the issue with those homes) that have had foundation problems...but I think it telling that EACH of those folks (except for one that decided to move back to the Del Webb community in Georgetown where he CAME from!) EACH decided to stay here and accept a new home. That tells me we enjoy a place WORTH LIVING IN!

What does that tell you??? People are WILLING to accept a replacement home by the same builder just to remain in our community....just sayin!

Complaints about resales are not all true either...a home on Texas Thistle went up for sale and sold in 1 day...IF you have a floorplan/location that is desireable and IF you price things correctly for todays market, you too can sell your home, and move somewhere where you are more happy! (if that is what you need to be happy....hear that prices in CA on homes ain't what they use to be....) IF you bought a home ANYWHERE IN THE WORLD 4-5 YRS AGO AND THINK YOU WILL GET WHAT YOU PAID FOR IT TODAY, you are SADLY mistaken...it is NOT a Del Webb issues this horrid economy....)

I would be interested in knowing do you OWN here or just rent? If you are so unhappy with the place (and it is very true that not EVERYONE Is happy EVERYWHERE) what motivates you to stay here??

I know I for one would NEVER be happy in California, but that is what makes the world wonderful....we don't all want the same thing at the same time...just imagine the lines/wait if we did!

Last edited by Paka; 12-05-2011 at 01:12 PM..

Old 12-05-2011, 03:12 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,059,147 times
If we were a few years older, we would definitely be moving into that 55+ community. It's very nice and exactly what we're looking for but we have a very few more years before we reach that age. I'm all for it and wish there were more communities like that here.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HillCountryHotRodMan View Post
If we were a few years older, we would definitely be moving into that 55+ community. It's very nice and exactly what we're looking for but we have a very few more years before we reach that age. I'm all for it and wish there were more communities like that here.
Need to come and join us when the time comes (for those interested, there is a certain amt of resident owners CAN be above 50 but not yet 55 yrs of age) not sure what that percentage is, but you can always check into it.

And you are right, there are places you want to live as a new couple when starting out that would not work with a family, and places you might want to live once those "responsibilities" are complete...and WE find it LOTS AND LOTS of Fun!!!

Old 01-29-2012, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 2,532 times
Any one know what the HOA fee are at Del Webb Hill Country resort in San Antonio are?

Old 01-29-2012, 01:45 PM

VERY reasonable or all you get. Our HOA fees are aprox $345 per quarter, and that includes the resort, all garbage pick up, the common grounds upkeep and 3 pools, 2 hottubs and all the utilities for the resort. Given the gym is full of Precor Equipment with Flat screen TV's, I think it is very, very reasonable for each home. Gym membership at Spectrum Gym at Bandera use to cost us $100 per month per family, and that was years and years ago. I have NO idea what it is now, but LOVE the fact I walk or drive our golfcart to everything I need vs having to deal with traffic. Exercise, entertainment, pools, personal trainer, massage therapist...all 1 minute from my door step!

Old 01-29-2012, 01:50 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,059,147 times
Golf carts are allowed? Oh shnap, I need to be there!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio