Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 12:23 PM

15 posts, read 39,292 times

Advertisements

We have considered moving here, but I just read an article about another Pulte development that has had major problems in San Antonio. (The hills at rivermist).
Is anyone experiencing structural problems in their house in Hill Country Retreat? There are some Pulte homes here (Virginia) that are experiencing 2 foot cracks in their ceilings and this isn't even an area where the ground shifts like South Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 04:25 PM

5 posts, read 10,840 times
There's lots of good things at Del Webb HCR and lots of bad things. Pulte builds a lousy house, but if you hire an inspector and have them inspect each step of the building process, you will probably be ok.
We do have a number of homes where the foundations cracked withing a year of being built.

The club house is beautiful, the gym state of the art, the green belts are wonderful, great trails to walk, beautiful indoor pool.

However, there are also lots of negatives. The HOA rules are followed to the LETTER and you will get a letter about things that will have you shaking your head. And, the rules keep getting worse...everyone who complains there is then a new rule or a new sign.

So, if you think you may want to live here, don't listen to the sales people who flat LIE to get sales. Visit without the sales person and talk to residents.

Old 09-11-2011, 08:55 PM

5 posts, read 10,194 times
quest2222:

Thanks for your input.
I've been out briefly to visit Hill Country Retreat (HCR). Got a guest logon at the web page. Explored it extensively.
I've been in SA for a short period of time. Now I am ready to buy a home. Since I qualify for a 50+ community I want to buy one last time, make this my retirement home. Del Webb looks good in that respect. As you pointed out, the idea of a Pulte home is somewhat repulsive, considering their reputation. I could get over that though. Provided Pulte is properly managed. The HOA is reasonable considering the area and the facility. I really do not want the yard they spec with the property. I do not think this is economically or enviromentally responsible for this area.
My other concerns would be:
1) Streets in gated communities are not maintained by the county road authority. Del Webb takes a one time up front $2000 fee. This is to be managed and kept for such purposes. Concept is to avoid
"Special Assessments". Any familiarity about the HOA rules on this topic?
2) $5,000 earnest money seems a little steep.
3) School Taxes-Senior Housing developments in surrounding areas do not pay school tax. Do residents of Del Webb pay these? If so why?
4) Unimproved Property Taxes: I lived in a subdivison before while under construction. Once the development was completed the entire tax base was changed. The property was classified as
"Developed". Taxes went up about 50%. Will this happen once DW community is completed?
5) Is HOA authority elected or managed by Pulte?

Old 09-17-2011, 04:44 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,491,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DW824 View Post
Hi! We are considering moving to Hill Country Retreat, driving out there again for the third time, but a bit nervous moving from our home out here by Wimberley. Looking for a more 'stress free' lifestyle, travel more, less yard work (on 2.5 acres now) etc. I see you've been there about a year. Please be honest, what do you think? Are you pleased with the construction of your home? Thanks for anything you are willing to share. Cheryl
Sorry it has taken me so long to answer this, and hope you are still looking....LOVE it here more than you can believe...the only regreat we have 2 yrs after moving in is that we waited TOO LONG to do it! Come and enjoy!!!!

Old 09-17-2011, 04:53 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,067,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paka View Post
Sorry it has taken me so long to answer this, and hope you are still looking....LOVE it here more than you can believe...the only regreat we have 2 yrs after moving in is that we waited TOO LONG to do it! Come and enjoy!!!!
OMG!!! Your alive!!!

How the heck are you doing girl??!!

Old 09-17-2011, 04:55 PM

GREAT! Lovin life to the MAX and just busier than you can believe....how you guys doin?? We need to get together soon...we are traveling so very much now that we have the opportunity, but we WILL reconnect...promise!

Gotta get some of you "oldies but goodies" over for a BBQ soon!

Old 09-17-2011, 05:40 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,100,780 times
Quote:
I'm so confused. I thought you just SOLD a house there?

Old 09-17-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire View Post
I'm so confused. I thought you just SOLD a house there?
Have sold 2 houses since I last visited the board, but NEITHER in Del Webb. Still live here and LOVE it to the max!

Old 09-17-2011, 08:21 PM

14,637 posts, read 35,100,780 times
Quote:
Have sold 2 houses since I last visited the board, but NEITHER in Del Webb. Still live here and LOVE it to the max!
Oh.........cool! I forgot you owned multiple properties. Glad to hear you love it so much there.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:12 AM

5 posts, read 10,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cingleguy View Post
quest2222:

1) Streets in gated communities are not maintained by the county road authority. Del Webb takes a one time up front $2000 fee. This is to be managed and kept for such purposes. Concept is to avoid
"Special Assessments". Any familiarity about the HOA rules on this topic?
2) $5,000 earnest money seems a little steep.
3) School Taxes-Senior Housing developments in surrounding areas do not pay school tax. Do residents of Del Webb pay these? If so why?
4) Unimproved Property Taxes: I lived in a subdivison before while under construction. Once the development was completed the entire tax base was changed. The property was classified as
"Developed". Taxes went up about 50%. Will this happen once DW community is completed?
5) Is HOA authority elected or managed by Pulte?
1. All I know is you are right, the roads are our responsibility. I can say the gate is a pain. It is broken a good deal and when it is, you need to play games to get home, like driving in the out gate or driving around to the back gate which is at this time left open during the day. I HATE the gate and the concept.

2. can't really comment
3. Texas only has a property tax and the vast majority of it is the school tax. And yes, everyone pays it. You can get a reduction for being over 65, but be warned, property taxes in Texas are very high, MUCH higher than what I was used to in California.
4. Our taxes are already very high...I don't think they will go higher until property values go up. My property is valued at over $50k less than what I paid, but that is pretty much what it is worth.
Pulte decided to make cheaper homes after the 1st phase of homes. So, resales are almost impossible unless you sell for a lot less then what you paid.
5 Pulte runs the show until the place is build out and at the rate we are going that will be 20+ years at least.

You may like to know that we are getting a lot of rentals since it is impossible to sell a resale. I'd suggest anyone thinking of moving here, rent first to see if you can handle the extreme level of rules.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio