Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2011, 07:05 PM

2,953 posts, read 5,293,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny Chiba57 View Post
Did anyone remember Shakey's pizza?
I sure do! I remember going there a lot as a kid. There was a location on Broadway, one near the Medical Center, Austin Highway, and I believe one on San Pedro as well.

I remember one location (San Pedro, I think) at one time had a big picture window that looked into the kitchen, and you could watch the pizza bakers throw the pizza dough into the air. They also had a large movie screen and a real projector (this was years before projector TVs or anything resembling a big screen TV) which they used to show Abbot and Costello, Laurel and Hardy, Three Stooges, and other old movies and cartoons on. This was way before Fargo's ever existed. Funny, I remember there being an open field across the road from the Shakey's, with some large power lines crossing it. I'm sure this was the San Pedro location, but I don't know exactly where that would be now.

They still exist, actually, on the West Coast mostly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 07:55 PM

4,323 posts, read 7,229,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GWhopper View Post
Funny, I remember there being an open field across the road from the Shakey's, with some large power lines crossing it. I'm sure this was the San Pedro location, but I don't know exactly where that would be now.
There was a Shakey's located at 7074 San Pedro, which is now/or most recently was the location of Club Humidor, right next door to Pier 1. Haven't been down that way in a while, so don't know if the Humidor is still there.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
There was a Shakey's located at 7074 San Pedro, which is now/or most recently was the location of Club Humidor, right next door to Pier 1. Haven't been down that way in a while, so don't know if the Humidor is still there.
I thought that was an old Bonanza and the Shakey's was on the other side of the road. I may have gotten the San Pedro location confused with another location on Fredericksburg. I just found a help wanted ad in the newspaper from 1972 that lists a location of 4315 Fredericksburg Road.

Incidentally, at that time Shakey's was known as "Shakeys Pizza Parlour and Ye Public House"

Attached is an ad from the opening of the first Shakey's Pizza here in San Antonio, it was the one on San Pedro. I love these old ads, modern advertisements just seem so sterile in comparison. Reading the text, I want to get there right now!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-shakeys1.jpg  

Old 04-21-2011, 10:49 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,130,639 times
The first pizza I ever ate was at the Shakeys on San Pedro, then the one on Fredericksburg Road was built, and we went there from then on.

The movie projectors at Shakeys were 16 mm, and the film was on a continuous loop running very similarly as tape in an 8 track cartridge. They also had coin operated player pianos. They had funny signs on all the walls.

Their motto was "We Serve Fun at Shakeys. Also Pizza."

Old 04-21-2011, 11:32 PM

RGJ posted this shot of a musician at Shakey's on the McCrelless Mall thread, you can see some examples of the funny signs on the wall behind the musician:
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-shakeys.jpg  

Old 04-21-2011, 11:39 PM

Looking around online, I also found some old menus for Shakeys...
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-shakeys-pizza.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-shakeys-pizza-b.jpg  

Old 04-21-2011, 11:52 PM

And here is an even older menu, judging by the prices!
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-sc0000bf63.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-sc00007b7c.jpg  

Old 04-21-2011, 11:53 PM

And some more examples of the funny signs:
Attached Thumbnails
Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-s_sign1.jpg   Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-s_sign2.jpg  

Old 04-22-2011, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primo View Post
Wasnt it also called Fishermans Wharf at one time? Or was that one on 410 & Perrin Beital? Or were they both Fishermans Warf? They have the piers and ropes outside..so it had to be something fishy?
Primo,
Did some research and Pelican's Wharf was a separate chain of restaurants from Smugglers Inn. It was owned by a company called Brymil Concepts International which Operated Pelican's Wharf Inc. which were located in several states including Texas. They started business in Texas around 1979.

Believe it or not, there was still a Pelican's Wharf in operation in Victoria Texas. It finally closed its doors near the end of 2010, just a few months ago after 30 years of operation. The owner cited the economic downturn as the reason for its closure. I can't find any other Pelican's Wharf restaurant in current operation anywhere in the US.

Old 04-22-2011, 07:12 AM

1,066 posts, read 3,692,820 times
Still in use at my parents house. They have been using their Shakey's Pizza frosted mugs for their root beer for 40 years. Gone But Not Forgotten in San Antonio! - Part II-image069.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio