Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2010, 08:26 AM

3,060 posts, read 7,434,416 times

Advertisements

Maybe someone in WC could organize a local shooting group. And advertise it well.

Old 02-13-2010, 10:47 AM

1,671 posts, read 3,848,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firstclassflyer View Post
I'd be hard pressed to name a few cities with more tagging,property crime and silly police behavior than there is in SA. Don't get me started on the puppy selling on the side of the road!! Have never seen that before, anywhere, and I would feel comfortable telling you that I have "done a fair amount of travel".
With all due respect when you visit other Cities do you travel throughout them like you may do here in San Antonio?

I too have done some traveling and I can say without a doubt San Antonio is no different from any other US City of the same size.

When we travel we may watch their Local News and hear of crime or maybe not. There is no doubt that you watch/ hear more San Antonio News therefore it will appear to be much worse.

I will not say that San Antonio including Bexar County including Westcreek are not without their share of crime.

If you (anyone) want to be away crime / tagging / Portable Puppy Mills then we would have to live in either a small town or a community composed of Retired People.

Some people feel if they see a small amount of tagging in San Antonio then the entire Metro area is plauged with it. I can tell you that is not the case I travel the area 5-6-7 days a week. I have been to some pretty affluent parts of this Country and I've lived in some growing up. I will say the the puppy give aways /sales are there also.

Have you ever experienced a San Antonio Police Officer, BC Deputy, Texas State Trooper with a pissy attitude? I never have and I've had to deal with them many times in my live. No I'm not a Criminal or Convict. I have found that those in the small towns / affluent areas are pissy especially if you are not from their parts.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCFSH1PILOT View Post
I did some on-line checking for the LED signs. I checked two sites and came up with this. I figured 2 signs (one for leaving and one for coming in) at the following entrances Military, Westcreek Oaks and Grosenbacher, then one sign at the Community Center and one on the Westcreek View entrance. These signs are between 18 inches and 30 inches tall and five feet to six feet wide. The cost for the single sided signs range from $3800.00 to $5,496.00 each. Double sided signs at the three main entrances are $10,276.00 each. Total cost without installation costs range from $30,400.00 to $41,820.00. That's alot of $15 - $20 reuseable signs.

Again there would be no need for more than two signs if they are properly placed. I still feel my comment falls true about folks taking different routes on the weekends, Holidays. etc. They will be seen.

If the LED signs are too much then the Marquee Signs do just as well.(I see more of those than the LED'S) Our only problem may be that some of our paid Staff may not like the idea of having to change the messages.

Now if you will excuse me I need to go to Fertile Garden to buy mulch.

I firmly feel that a large percentage of Resident's do not like the small,cheap, throw away, eye pollution signs.

As much as I hate to admit it Westcreek's appearance have gone downhill. Yards are not kept (there is obviously no type of enforement in some Villages) Now this Common Fence crap that will continue to linger on and on. We can only blame the HOA / BOD for that ongoing problem. Don't get me started on that Grand Idea. My point here although it may not be accepted is that the signs do not help with the appearance problems.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:03 AM

4,263 posts, read 10,841,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellguy View Post
With all due respect when you visit other Cities do you travel throughout them like you may do here in San Antonio?

I too have done some traveling and I can say without a doubt San Antonio is no different from any other US City of the same size.

When we travel we may watch their Local News and hear of crime or maybe not. There is no doubt that you watch/ hear more San Antonio News therefore it will appear to be much worse.

I will not say that San Antonio including Bexar County including Westcreek are not without their share of crime.

If you (anyone) want to be away crime / tagging / Portable Puppy Mills then we would have to live in either a small town or a community composed of Retired People.

Some people feel if they see a small amount of tagging in San Antonio then the entire Metro area is plauged with it. I can tell you that is not the case I travel the area 5-6-7 days a week. I have been to some pretty affluent parts of this Country and I've lived in some growing up. I will say the the puppy give aways /sales are there also.

Have you ever experienced a San Antonio Police Officer, BC Deputy, Texas State Trooper with a pissy attitude? I never have and I've had to deal with them many times in my live. No I'm not a Criminal or Convict. I have found that those in the small towns / affluent areas are pissy especially if you are not from their parts.
Wellguy-

Of course there is no perfect utopia. I'm going to a place that makes us happy.
Why is it that whenever someone posts things they don't like about SA, they are flamed? I stated my reasons...we don't like it here..period.
There are some things that I would consider positives here. For instance, most of the roads are built to allow a good traffic flow (the drivers on the other hand ), people are generally nice and the BBQ is good. The Spurs are a class team and some of the festivals downtown are nice.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Wellguy-

Of course there is no perfect utopia. I'm going to a place that makes us happy.
Why is it that whenever someone posts things they don't like about SA, they are flamed? I stated my reasons...we don't like it here..period.
There are some things that I would consider positives here. For instance, most of the roads are built to allow a good traffic flow (the drivers on the other hand ), people are generally nice and the BBQ is good. The Spurs are a class team and some of the festivals downtown are nice.
I'm not flamed. I know there is no perfect utopia, if so I would find it, sell everything, and move there. I may however would just have to pack my own bags and leave since no one else in the house would. I know they would visit though.

Yes folks do become defensive when their town is shunned (that is a common reaction) although I'm not implying that you did. You stated what you don't like and I appreciate you wanting to live somewhere that makes you happy.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:50 PM

1,251 posts, read 1,081,308 times
Well, we took a drive before lunch... out of WC, onto 1604, coming back home on Potranco... just really took a good look around. I do not like what I see any more. Litter was all over the median and don't even get me started on the Potranco/1604 stop. That place has turned into a mini-flea market, even though signs posted say not to park there. Potranco as a whole looks very rundown and it's an eyesore... while it may not be part of WC, we have to use it to get there. There are some other subdivisions in this city where I do not see the litter, the graffiti, and signs posted all over. I think a lot of it is because of foreclosures and so many homes are turning into rentals. It's just not for us anymore. I miss our old neighborhoods in Colorado Springs and Missouri... clean, quiet, pride-filled. You don't need to be wealthy to have those things.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:59 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,545,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpydove View Post
Well, we took a drive before lunch... out of WC, onto 1604, coming back home on Potranco... just really took a good look around. I do not like what I see any more. Litter was all over the median and don't even get me started on the Potranco/1604 stop. That place has turned into a mini-flea market, even though signs posted say not to park there. Potranco as a whole looks very rundown and it's an eyesore... while it may not be part of WC, we have to use it to get there. There are some other subdivisions in this city where I do not see the litter, the graffiti, and signs posted all over. I think a lot of it is because of foreclosures and so many homes are turning into rentals. It's just not for us anymore. I miss our old neighborhoods in Colorado Springs and Missouri... clean, quiet, pride-filled. You don't need to be wealthy to have those things.
Just wondering something about the Potranco/1604 intersection. What is with all the grocery carts across from Walmart in the little creek bed area? Is that a big homeless hangout? It is starting to look really junky!

Old 02-13-2010, 03:13 PM

66 posts, read 84,134 times
Default Have a Nice Life

Quote:
All of that would be relevant if we were moving to the City of San Diego..which we aren't! We'll be about 25 miles North in Solana Beach. I know the area very well after having lived in it for years. Crime rate where we'll be is much, much different. I am escaping from hell, trust me.
Money isn't an issue here. We'll enjoy.
RD- Hope there's some frost left when I land in about 2 hours. Posting this from DFW. Plenty of snow on the ground here!
Good for you, Solana Beach area is very nice. Have a wonderful Life.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:15 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,437,013 times
anybody notice that a lot of things started going downhill right after they completed that walmart? I swear those things bring out the worst in everything, except ammo sales of course.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:46 PM

186 posts, read 345,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rd2007 View Post
anybody notice that a lot of things started going downhill right after they completed that walmart? I swear those things bring out the worst in everything, except ammo sales of course.
With the arrival of Walmart we have witnessed true urbanization and with that the flotsam is soon to follow. I noticed the shopping cart storage area also...I have also observed several cart people in the area...I don't know where they congregate but I noticed they started showing up in this area after hurricane Katrina...not that there's any connection
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio