Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 1,901 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

Since I moved to the Rochester area, I've been living in Brighton in the last year and a half - Rustic Village. Although the Rustic Village has a good location to me (RIT student), I'm not very satisfied with my overall experience with the Rustic (mostly because of its size - VERY LARGE - you get the feeling that you're living in public housing). Therefore, I've been thinking lately about moving to the City.

Mainly, Ive only been looking onto two options, the Erie Harbor Luxury Apartments on Mount Hope (South Wedge) OR Park/East Ave area. Since I only visit the city once or twice a week for a little time, I've no idea how does these neighborhoods rank in terms of Safety (my main concern) and cost, entertainment options, .. etc. So I would appreciate if any person with sufficient knowledge about living in the City can answer my questions:

1. How safe is the Erie Harbor Apt area (South Wedge) compared to Brighton/Henrietta?
2. Which neighbor would rank better overall, Park Ave/East Ave Area or South Wedge?
3. Would you recommend any apartments buildings/ houses in the Park/East Area?
4. With Regards to traffic into/out-of Rochester between (7:00AM-9:00AM) & (3-5PM) how is it? Coming/Going to RIT what route is gonna be my best bet?

Much Appreciated!

Cheers,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2013, 11:14 PM
mwr

85 posts, read 140,873 times
Quick response: Southwedge is lovely, but safety depends on street. Erie Harbor is in a less safe area, If safety is your top priority, I would stick with further out or Park/East area. Also check out Elmwood Manor on Elmwood Ave. It's a complex, but pretty.

Old 07-31-2013, 06:30 PM

94,634 posts, read 125,763,188 times
I believe that the southern portion of the 19th Ward has been getting some interest from parents of college students. So, that may be an option as well.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:51 AM

270 posts, read 470,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I believe that the southern portion of the 19th Ward has been getting some interest from parents of college students. So, that may be an option as well.
That's ridiculous! While the housing might be affordable in the 19th Ward, why would you recommend an area with so much crimes to an forum member. I always find it very interesting that people offer advices for a place they don't even live in.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by superleggera View Post
That's ridiculous! While the housing might be affordable in the 19th Ward, why would you recommend an area with so much crimes to an forum member. I always find it very interesting that people offer advices for a place they don't even live in.
Actually, this is according to someone I know in the area and the 19th Ward is a big area that varies. I'm thinking more of the area south of Brooks Ave. Its proximity to U of R seems to have garnered some interest. So, parts of the 19th Ward may work for the OP. A trip down Scottsville Road/383 and a left onto Jefferson Road/252 takes you right to RIT.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Actually, this is according to someone I know in the area and the 19th Ward is a big area that varies. Its proximity to U of R seems to have garnered some interest. So, parts of the 19th Ward may work for the OP. A trip down Scottsville Road/383 and a left onto Jefferson Road/252 takes you right to RIT.
A friend of mine has been living there for the past 7 years and he was waiting for the bogus rumors you mentioned to come true. He has been robbed twice since the beginning others year and he can't wait to move out of that area. Please check with the source of your information. Students from University are still told to not cross the bridge alone even during day light.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
A friend of mine has been living there for the past 7 years and he was waiting for the bogus rumors you mentioned to come true. He has been robbed twice since the beginning others year and he can't wait to move out of that area. Please check with the source of your information. Students from University are still told to not cross the bridge alone even during day light.
Again, I'm just the messenger and things will vary by personal experience and street.

Here's some information, OP: 19th Ward - Rochester Wiki

Old 08-01-2013, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Actually, this is according to someone I know in the area and the 19th Ward is a big area that varies. I'm thinking more of the area south of Brooks Ave. Its proximity to U of R seems to have garnered some interest. So, parts of the 19th Ward may work for the OP. A trip down Scottsville Road/383 and a left onto Jefferson Road/252 takes you right to RIT.
Quote:
Again, I'm just the messenger and things will vary by personal experience and street.

Here's some information, OP: 19th Ward - Rochester Wiki
That's why it is better to give advice based on your personal experience LOCALLY instead of point the direction blank. You are talking about someone live and why direct them to the hands of the danger. I looked into purchasing a bunch of properties there as investment and ran into a police stand off during the day light a couple years back.

Old 08-01-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
That's why it is better to give advice based on your personal experience LOCALLY instead of point the direction blank. You are talking about someone live and why direct them to the hands of the danger. I looked into purchasing a bunch of properties there as investment and ran into a police stand off during the day light a couple years back.
Again, I'm posting information from someone who is involved in the local real estate market and the neighborhood is the biggest in the city, with a little over a tenth of the people within the city. So, certain areas of the neighborhood are going to be different than others and it appears that there is positive changes being made there. South of Brooks would put the OP closer to the RIT campus, while being within the city.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:16 AM

I have no problem with the RIT area but Please stop sounding overly positive with the 19th Ward if it is not fact as well as your living experience. Most of the home builder won't even invest there due to the crime and I think they do a lot of market research than your over the dinner table rumors. We appreciate your help on this forum but admit your mistake when you are wrong. If you like Rochester so much, perhaps you should move here rather than talking about it so much. This is my last post here as I know you have a tendency to drag the conversation and argue with moot points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area