Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 04:51 PM

63 posts, read 215,339 times

Advertisements

My brother is 38 single (divorced) moving to Rochester ASAP for a job- he will actually be working in fairport- he really doesn't want to be in the suburbs with all the families-- but wants something newer and nice- price range 1,000-1,500 a month - coming up soon to start looking where should we focus our search????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 05:44 PM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Perhaps the Southeastern quarter of the city(Park Ave, Monroe Ave(Upper and Village), Swillburg, SouthWedge, etc.) might work. Maybe the 12 Corners area of Brighton too. This might help: Rochester Neighborhoods - Rochester Wiki

Old 09-27-2011, 05:49 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,325,238 times
I put together this map about a year ago to help people in your brother's situation to find out more about each individual area of the City of Rochester itself.

Rochester, NY Neighborhoods - Google Maps

I personally agree with the above poster however, the SE is the place to be right now and he can easily find something for around $1,000-$1,200 a month.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:00 PM

63 posts, read 215,339 times
Any nice buildings in that area that you know of? I looked at the temple building online - nice. Lofts but can't figure out if it is in a nice part of town-

Old 09-28-2011, 06:36 AM

93,347 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mediabh View Post
Any nice buildings in that area that you know of? I looked at the temple building online - nice. Lofts but can't figure out if it is in a nice part of town-
It's in Downtown Rochester. I would think it would be fine, but I'm not completely sure.

Old 09-28-2011, 07:04 AM

205 posts, read 456,531 times
Depends on what he's looking for... For "super hip", there are some really awesome lofts downtown. But you need to be ready to accept the "urban overhead" that comes with any city...

Park Ave / East Ave has historic houses (but no lofts), and is more of a "neighborhood"... Very safe as well.

Brighton / 12 Corners has tons of convenience, is ultra-safe, but is definitely more suburban....

Let us know what other questions you may have.

Old 10-02-2011, 01:33 PM

192 posts, read 530,676 times
The temple building is right across from the liberty pole, the good thing about living there is you would be a stones throw from the eastman theater and the east end which is by far the most vibrant part of downtown. If you go a few blocks north of the temple you would be in a much quieter section of downtown, the temple building is right in the middle of both. The best thing you can do is visit the building during the day and at night and see what you think of it.

Old 10-04-2011, 09:33 PM

240 posts, read 557,941 times
Born and raised around the Rochester area, the "south wedge" as it's called is an up and coming area where you might still be able to find some cheaper rentals. Anything that falls in the square made up by monroe ave, east ave, goodman, and 490 is a safe and fun area to be in. Park ave is the "creme de la creme" East rochester(which is closer to fairport)

Old 10-06-2011, 06:18 AM

205 posts, read 456,531 times
I would like to thank the moderator for removing the miss-information that Overtaxed posted in this thread. While I find his sarcasm and contrarian approach mildly interesting among us regulars in the forum (and I'll stress mildly), when you tell a complete newcomer to the forum they should seriously consider living in one of the worst ghetto's in the city and pass it off as serious advice without any hint of humor - that's just discourteous, disingenuous and not very admirable.

For those that missed it, he had said "I hear that D and Conkey is up and coming, full of ethnic diversity, etc, etc,"

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=d+and+...2,322.23,,0,90

Hey - You all know that I'm for free speech and open expression. I very much enjoy the debates on this forum. I feel that all opinions are welcome. But we also have a responsibility as citizens to not "yell fire in a crowded theater" when there isn't one (which is illegal according to our Supreme Court). I'm open to the idea that there are people who don't like Rochester and want to make sure that negative views of the city are represented in this fourm. Go for it. There's plenty of material LOL... But sending a newcomer to the ghetto as a serious response is dirty pool....

Nice job mods!

Old 10-07-2011, 01:16 PM

192 posts, read 530,676 times
If your looking at buildings/lofts you might want to check out Corn Hill Landing. Its located just across the river from the South Wedge and literally less then 100 yards from downtown. The Corn Hill Neighborhood is one of the most beautiful neighborhoods in Rochester, its full of old Victorian homes and reminds me a lot of the of Baltimore’s Federal Hill or Washington DC’s Columbia Heights and its also very safe. Corn Hill landing is a newer building (built in the last decade) located right on the river. I believe many of the apartments are lofts and are in the price range you’re looking for. Corn Hill landing itself has a handful of shops and restaurants.

And Purdue512 I agree 100% Overtaxed’s “advice” was complete bullshxt, if the forum loses its credibility then it’s not worth jack. And by the way is that corner still synonymous as being the worst corner in the city it seems like you heard of it very quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area