Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 06:36 PM

5 posts, read 17,474 times

Advertisements

Moving to Rochester from Queens, NY. I have been offered a promotion, to head up a new branch in Rochester, NY. I need some help from what I hear are friendly people. First off I am scared, lol. The snow and gray skies are two reasons why. City mouse meets country mouse is another reason. But, the job comes with all the trimming and a generous pay raise so I need to move.

Anyway to my point, where is a good place to live in Western NY? I am a 40 year old single male that is looking for a modern place to live (apartment) for a while till I find a house to buy. Even though work is in Rochester, I won't mind commuting about a half hour. Does Rochester have new apartments or new condos? Where is better? Downtown or uptown? Any night life at all over that way? Bars or such? I love that there is an airport right there, that's a plus for those weekend getaways.

Thanks for any advice or help anybody takes the time out to give. I only have 3 weeks to find a place to live for the next several years and the stress of finding a nice clean modern place to live with some sign of life around me is getting the best of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2011, 10:34 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,457,165 times
ck listed some good and decent areas.

Out in the 'burbs you have Chili, Brighton, Fairport, Webster, Irondequoit, Greece, Penfield, and Henrietta which all have nice apartment complexes. Family members lived in a nice complex out in Chili (Blueberry Hill) before buying a house in Victor some years ago. They would drive E. River Rd into the city for work at Strong, avoiding I-490. Penfield is more convenient to downtown and depending on where you are out there you can take 441 or Atlantic Ave. into the city. The complexes out in Brighton aren't far, either. Greece is more of a hike with rush hour traffic, same with Henrietta and Webster.

Old 06-25-2011, 11:11 PM

Default thanks

Thanks guys great info, this is gonna help me narrow down my search. I've seen quite a few places on Craigslist now but few were spacious and modern. I'm gonna keep at it.

Thanks for pointing out the best part of the city ck, was having trouble pinning down where the best part was, besides east. You gave a lot of helpful links I will go through them all.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:29 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,551,678 times
Glad to see someone who is willing to take a chance and live someplace in NY that is outside of NYC. Please keep us all posted as you get settled in and let us know how things are going.

Congratulations on the promotion!

Old 06-26-2011, 05:48 PM

9 posts, read 16,123 times
The suburbs are very nice. While Rochester is country compared to NYC, there is everything you need and a decent amount of things to do/nightlife.

Pittsford, IMO, is probably the richest suburb, and is very nice. All of the suburbs on the east side (Webster, Penfield, Fairport, Pittsford) are wealthy and nice. Probably snobby, but not too bad. Fairport and Pittsford are right on the Erie Canal, which is nice. These are family oriented areas, though.

There is Brighton, which is the closest of the nice suburbs to the city itself. Greece is to the West, and is the most populated suburb and very safe. All of these suburbs are very safe.

As for the city itself, I'd stay within the Park Ave or the South Wedge area. Park Ave is where the most action is at, but it's also aimed towards people in their 20s. Lots of good restaurants in the Park Ave area, and the main bars are on Monroe Ave, Park Ave and Alexander.

Snow can be a huge problem, but because of the high amounts of snow, Rochester takes pretty good care of the streets. Certain areas are much better than others in that regard, however. As for gray skies, that is very true in the Winter. Summer in Rochester is great, though, IMO. Just gorgeous and a lot of things to do.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:35 PM

93,650 posts, read 124,375,652 times
Some other urban neighborhoods that might work are Charlotte, the 19th Ward close to the airport, Lyceum-Northland and parts of Maplewood. I say they MIGHT work, because the immediate areas are fine for the most part, but the neighborhoods close by can be iffy outside of Charlotte, which should be up there with the SE neighborhoods.

Spencerport and Brockport are also on the Erie Canal, with Brockport having a college town vibe due to having a SUNY campus. Western suburbs tend to be more racially diverse, as well as Brighton and Henrietta. I only mention that due to Queens being the most diverse county in the country.

Old 06-26-2011, 07:00 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,333,812 times
Coming from New York, you will probably want to be in the city. I would recommend Park Ave, the South Wedge and possibly Downtown where there's a lot of renovated apartments and lofts. The newer stuff is going to be in the suburbs though, specifically in places such as Brighton, Pittsford and Webster.

Check out the following links to help you narrow down your search and good luck in Rochester!

Rochester, NY Neighborhoods - Google Maps

Home - Rochester City Living

RochesterDowntown.com // Living Downtown

Old 06-26-2011, 10:12 PM

Default thanks

Thanks for all for the replies and thanks for the grats on the promotion, lol.

Not really looking for racially diverse in particular. Doesn't bother me much (being from Queens) but it's not something I will seek out to feel at home, lol. I live in a mostly Italian neighborhood now, Howard Beach. Just a newly renovated dwelling with good people around and stuff to do is fine. If I have to pay extra for some extras like parking, fireplace and stuff like that I will. If I am gonna have no family and friends I might as well live in a really nice place. I'd pay 1k to 1.5k a month for a decent place. I won't be in the apartment long as I will buy a house when I learn more about the area from living there.

I've looked at a lot of places through padhopper and a lot of the places have that old feel to them or are attic/loft apartments. I even saw some with radiators in them! Haven't seen them since the 80's, lol But I have family in Orange county so I realize life is different in other cities. I'm not naive but I have high expectations! lol This is a big step for me as it would be for a Monroe county person moving to NYC. Culture shock.

I am now looking on the east side of Rochester, south wedgeish. (I learned that through your advice) I may have to lower my expectations but I was thinking there has to be some new buildings or stylish places in Rochester. That I just have to do the research. This is part of that research! lol My life is in your hands people!

Thanks for all the advice guys, it is really helping. I'll even take trusted real estate agents numbers. I may have to enlist their services for this project.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:41 PM

1,891 posts, read 3,457,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul NY View Post
Thanks for all for the replies and thanks for the grats on the promotion, lol.

Not really looking for racially diverse in particular. Doesn't bother me much (being from Queens) but it's not something I will seek out to feel at home, lol. I live in a mostly Italian neighborhood now, Howard Beach. Just a newly renovated dwelling with good people around and stuff to do is fine. If I have to pay extra for some extras like parking, fireplace and stuff like that I will. If I am gonna have no family and friends I might as well live in a really nice place. I'd pay 1k to 1.5k a month for a decent place. I won't be in the apartment long as I will buy a house when I learn more about the area from living there.

I've looked at a lot of places through padhopper and a lot of the places have that old feel to them or are attic/loft apartments. I even saw some with radiators in them! Haven't seen them since the 80's, lol But I have family in Orange county so I realize life is different in other cities. I'm not naive but I have high expectations! lol This is a big step for me as it would be for a Monroe county person moving to NYC. Culture shock.

I am now looking on the east side of Rochester, south wedgeish. (I learned that through your advice) I may have to lower my expectations but I was thinking there has to be some new buildings or stylish places in Rochester. That I just have to do the research. This is part of that research! lol My life is in your hands people!

Thanks for all the advice guys, it is really helping. I'll even take trusted real estate agents numbers. I may have to enlist their services for this project.
You bring up some excellent points, some of which have been brought up here, before.

Beware the old houses in the city. Utilities will be horrid during winter if you're not careful. Find something newer and more modern, or completely renovated and modern, and you can't go wrong. The old houses often times are not insulated at all and have their original windows and whatnot. Even over around Park Ave./University one has to know what to look for when it comes to those things. It's common that folks pay more in utilities during the winter than rent. Ask for utilities info. when looking at places.

I'll send you some info. on a good real estate person who knows the South Wedge and other areas, via personal message.

$1,000 plus utilities could get you an entire house in a nicer part of the city or even the 'burbs.

Other things like groceries, restaurants, bars, etc., you'll find to be much more reasonably priced than NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area