Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 03:47 PM

5,765 posts, read 4,146,634 times

Advertisements

You or your potential landlord can get a copy of the utilies used in the past year from RG&E.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 05:49 PM

5 posts, read 17,479 times
Default Thanks

You guys are great. I didn't even think of utilities. I don't want to be murdered in gas bills, that's rude. But looking through the pictures on Craigslist/Padhopper I can tell you need to know the area to get what you are looking for in an apartment/house. Newer seems to be the exception. I may have to rethink this and go with a knowledgeable agent in the area. But at least, from people who posted here, I have some idea of where the agent can start looking. I appreciate all the advice and help.

Old 06-29-2011, 12:45 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,463,898 times
You shouldn't have to pay more than $300/mo. for gas and electric during winter, and that's considered high and mostly applies old homes.

The really old, pre-1920 houses are real bad and you don't want that unless it's been 100% torn out and refurbished.

Old 06-29-2011, 06:41 PM

5 posts, read 17,479 times
Oh 300 isn't so bad, I pay that now during the winter. I mean it is but at least it isn't more is what I mean. But I will have to be careful. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:25 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,612,500 times
I think you will be pleasantly surprised to find out that we aren't all "country mice" in Rochester either. The city of Rochester certainly isn't as densely urban as Queens, but it is definitely more urban than "country". I think you will also be pleasantly surprised at how much more living space you will be able to have here. There are several luxury condo developments that have recently been completed downtown and I believe more are on the way. I agree with others that with the positive mindset you seem to be coming here with you should have no problem building a nice life and career for yourself here in the Flower City.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:15 PM

17 posts, read 32,295 times
Don't move to Rochester, NY; you will regret it!
As a former NYC resident, I would not recommend Rochester. The local economy has been on the decline for the last twenty years; there is no economic growth in the private sector. The job market is poor; there are limited quality jobs in Rochester. There is little turnover at employers because there are not many options for employees; except relocating out of Western, NY.
The winter months are gloomy. There is constant gray skies; with no sunshine from January - April. You will understand the first winter you live in Rochester.
If you move to Rochester, move to Corn Hill Landing in Rochester. Its a new condo/townhouse development that has nice amenities and restaurants, etc.
You will be looking to relocate back to Queens within the year.

Old 07-01-2011, 06:38 PM

17 posts, read 32,295 times
Default Howard Beach

Paul,

Howard Beach to Rochester, NY. You'll be like the movie Cousin Vinny! I have been to HB. I'm from SI, NY.
You're 40 yrs old. The Park Avenue area is for 21-30 years olds. Corn Hill Landing is a modern complex. These suburban towns other people mention are not for a 40 yr old single guy from HB. People in Roc don't know the neighborhood your from, I do! You will go out of your mind here!
Rochester, New York's finest apartments at Corn Hill Landing

On the positive side, housing is inexpensive. If you decide to buy a house, buy on the east side of the city. In order, I recommend the following towns Pittsford, Fairport, Penfield, Webster, Mendon, Victor.

There are some good Italian restaurants; Brook House in the town of Greece, Pasta Villa in Irondequiot, NY, Pane Vino in downtown Rochester.

The best Brooklyn type pizza is the Pizza Stop downtown Rochester. Most pizza is thick and not like NYC.

Go to Wegmans Food Market for bagels.

Good luck

QUOTE=Paul NY;19767993]Thanks for all for the replies and thanks for the grats on the promotion, lol.

Not really looking for racially diverse in particular. Doesn't bother me much (being from Queens) but it's not something I will seek out to feel at home, lol. I live in a mostly Italian neighborhood now, Howard Beach. Just a newly renovated dwelling with good people around and stuff to do is fine. If I have to pay extra for some extras like parking, fireplace and stuff like that I will. If I am gonna have no family and friends I might as well live in a really nice place. I'd pay 1k to 1.5k a month for a decent place. I won't be in the apartment long as I will buy a house when I learn more about the area from living there.

I've looked at a lot of places through padhopper and a lot of the places have that old feel to them or are attic/loft apartments. I even saw some with radiators in them! Haven't seen them since the 80's, lol But I have family in Orange county so I realize life is different in other cities. I'm not naive but I have high expectations! lol This is a big step for me as it would be for a Monroe county person moving to NYC. Culture shock.

I am now looking on the east side of Rochester, south wedgeish. (I learned that through your advice) I may have to lower my expectations but I was thinking there has to be some new buildings or stylish places in Rochester. That I just have to do the research. This is part of that research! lol My life is in your hands people!

Thanks for all the advice guys, it is really helping. I'll even take trusted real estate agents numbers. I may have to enlist their services for this project.[/quote]

Old 07-01-2011, 07:51 PM

93,912 posts, read 124,698,945 times
He already has a job lined up. So, that's not the issue. Personally, I like Swillburg.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:27 PM

355 posts, read 870,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul NY View Post
Moving to Rochester from Queens, NY. I have been offered a promotion, to head up a new branch in Rochester, NY. I need some help from what I hear are friendly people. First off I am scared, lol. The snow and gray skies are two reasons why. City mouse meets country mouse is another reason. But, the job comes with all the trimming and a generous pay raise so I need to move.

Anyway to my point, where is a good place to live in Western NY? I am a 40 year old single male that is looking for a modern place to live (apartment) for a while till I find a house to buy. Even though work is in Rochester, I won't mind commuting about a half hour. Does Rochester have new apartments or new condos? Where is better? Downtown or uptown? Any night life at all over that way? Bars or such? I love that there is an airport right there, that's a plus for those weekend getaways.

Thanks for any advice or help anybody takes the time out to give. I only have 3 weeks to find a place to live for the next several years and the stress of finding a nice clean modern place to live with some sign of life around me is getting the best of me.
Try the Carriage Glen apartments in Greece, NY.

Check them out at: DBI Properties

Old 07-03-2011, 08:16 AM

5,765 posts, read 4,146,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerNYCinRochester View Post
Don't move to Rochester, NY; you will regret it!
As a former NYC resident, I would not recommend Rochester. The local economy has been on the decline for the last twenty years; there is no economic growth in the private sector. The job market is poor; there are limited quality jobs in Rochester. There is little turnover at employers because there are not many options for employees; except relocating out of Western, NY.
Don't know where you get your imformation. We have 12,000 new jobs compared to last year at this time. That is the 3rd best, percentage wise in the country, behind only Dallas and Houston.

Despite the fact that Rochester has had massive job losses (50,000 from Kodak alone) we have a long history which shows that when a company lets some employees go, many of them just start their own company and employ the others. Rochester has actually grown over the past decade. Don't confuse us with Buffalo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area