Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 03:14 PM

1 posts, read 9,100 times

Advertisements

I'm a Rochester resident but I don't have much information on this, I'm hoping other residents can help me out:

How does the crime in the Southwedge compare to crime on Monroe Ave (the area between where it intersects with 490, by Canterbury, and the Inner Loop section of 490)?

I'm currently living along Monroe Ave near Meigs, and I'm troubled by the several violent crimes and murders which have happened within 1/2 mile of where I'm living in the short time I've lived here. Street harrassment has also been a problem. I plan to move at the end of the lease, and the best option seems to be the Southwedge - if it's safe. Having spent a little time there, I didn't feel it was unsafe, but it seems very mixed, really - some lovely and well-tended homes next to ill-kept houses or litter-filled vacant lots. A friend living in the area claimed that a house down the street was a crack house. Additionally, I was never there alone, so my impressions may not be all that indicative.

So, is the Southwedge safe? Is it safer than Monroe Ave? Should a young female feel safe living there?

(The other options I'm considering are the East End and Park Ave. Park feels very safe but the rents are a bit higher than I'd really like, and the East End I don't really know much about. Staying near Monroe is also an option, but I often do feel unsafe here, particularly if I want to go anywhere alone at night.)

I appreciate any advice. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2007, 03:38 PM

3,235 posts, read 8,713,676 times
Southwedge is fine. They are gentrifying the area to get rid of some of the trash. I've spent a good amount of time there and never had problems with the exception of the occasional bum asking you for money. The area of monroe you are talking about is not that bad. Aside from a few isolated shootings over the course of a few years, its fine. There is more of a police presence so the annoying pan handlers aren't out as much as they were before.
If you want to rid yourself of street harassment all together you'd have to move to the suburbs. This is something every city in country has. It goes with living in an urban area. I have my ways of dealing with it that work well.
There is also the upper monroe area to look into. A couple friends have lived there in past years and its a nice little section.

Old 12-18-2007, 04:32 PM

169 posts, read 476,199 times
Try North Winton Village (east of Culver). It's a great city neighborhood that's safer than the wedge.

If you want to stay in the wedge, I would recommend the neighborhood east of South Avenue and south of Linden Street (known as Elwanger-Barry).

Old 12-19-2007, 01:45 PM

897 posts, read 2,457,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt0519cc View Post
I'm a Rochester resident but I don't have much information on this, I'm hoping other residents can help me out:

How does the crime in the Southwedge compare to crime on Monroe Ave (the area between where it intersects with 490, by Canterbury, and the Inner Loop section of 490)?

I'm currently living along Monroe Ave near Meigs, and I'm troubled by the several violent crimes and murders which have happened within 1/2 mile of where I'm living in the short time I've lived here. Street harrassment has also been a problem. I plan to move at the end of the lease, and the best option seems to be the Southwedge - if it's safe. Having spent a little time there, I didn't feel it was unsafe, but it seems very mixed, really - some lovely and well-tended homes next to ill-kept houses or litter-filled vacant lots. A friend living in the area claimed that a house down the street was a crack house. Additionally, I was never there alone, so my impressions may not be all that indicative.

So, is the Southwedge safe? Is it safer than Monroe Ave? Should a young female feel safe living there?

(The other options I'm considering are the East End and Park Ave. Park feels very safe but the rents are a bit higher than I'd really like, and the East End I don't really know much about. Staying near Monroe is also an option, but I often do feel unsafe here, particularly if I want to go anywhere alone at night.)

Meigs and goodman is in the south wedge. I have lived in the south wedge for the past 3 years. It is ok.gangs or kids are marking buildings lately. Most of the crime is typically found around mt. hope, south ave and alexander. Garmin239 is correct, There are a few bars that some bums try to hang out near but the police put a stop to that. I would live near highland hospital near the park. It is probably the safest part of the neighborhood.

Old 12-19-2007, 09:07 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,714,625 times
I don't know... im not particularly fond of S. Clinton on a hot summer night.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:06 PM

7 posts, read 29,928 times
I used to live near Goodman and Caroline St. in the late '70s, and went back for a visit this summer. It has hardly changed at all. Don't people upgrade their houses in this area? I felt like I was in a time warp.

Old 01-05-2008, 09:01 PM

6 posts, read 60,581 times
I lived in the southwedge area a while ago. There are some bad neighbors and some good everywhere. If you have small children go to Victor, Fairport, etc. Better schools.

Old 01-06-2008, 10:45 AM

22 posts, read 73,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bt0519cc View Post

Have you thought about Swillburg? You're still within walking distance of Southwedge, have the commercial along Clinton (Including the Highland Park Diner and Cinema), will probably pay less money, and is a bit away from the big time riff raff.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:04 PM

3,150 posts, read 8,714,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whit_x View Post
Have you thought about Swillburg? You're still within walking distance of Southwedge, have the commercial along Clinton (Including the Highland Park Diner and Cinema), will probably pay less money, and is a bit away from the big time riff raff.
Swillburg goes right into the Southwedge it technically is between Field St. and S. Clinton ... ideally you would want to head east from S. Clinton, but the streets east of Field are much much safer and nicer... Crossman Terrace, Shepherd St, Rosedale St. (where I grew up)... etc.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:55 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,586,180 times
I've always liked Swillburg...it seams like one of the last "traditional" neigborhoods left in the city of Rochester. Much higher home ownership ratio than the rest of the city. When we first difinitevly decided to move back to Rochester from NC about a year and a half ago; we breifly considered buying in the city just because we love the architecture of the older homes and the walkablity of the city (and lower taxes); and Swillburg/Ellwanger Berry was our main focus. (we soon after decided to go for the suburbs mostly because of schools though)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area