Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2013, 01:15 PM

1,021 posts, read 1,883,585 times

Advertisements

Aren't the Erie Harbor apartments in the $1000+ month range? Man, if you can afford to go to RIT and pay 1000+ for rent on top of all your other bills, kudos sir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 08:07 PM

13 posts, read 17,268 times
T-slip -- I was wondering if you could comment on your experience in living in Brighton -- other than the apartment complex. For instance, safety?

We're looking to purchase a house as close as possible to the medical center but still in a safe area, so were wondering if the Brighton area is good for a small family? For us, nightlife isn't so important, as much as things like nice playgrounds and parks. Local school isn't so important, as our child has complex medical issues and disability, so he's probably going to be referred to Mary Cariola (so we'd also like to be relatively close to his school).

So, if you or anyone else could point us to a good location, we'd appreciate it!

Old 08-08-2013, 08:19 PM

93,734 posts, read 124,459,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangkokmom View Post
T-slip -- I was wondering if you could comment on your experience in living in Brighton -- other than the apartment complex. For instance, safety?

We're looking to purchase a house as close as possible to the medical center but still in a safe area, so were wondering if the Brighton area is good for a small family? For us, nightlife isn't so important, as much as things like nice playgrounds and parks. Local school isn't so important, as our child has complex medical issues and disability, so he's probably going to be referred to Mary Cariola (so we'd also like to be relatively close to his school).

So, if you or anyone else could point us to a good location, we'd appreciate it!
Brighton is fine and from what I know, is a safe community. Here is some information from the town's Parks and Recreation website: Brighton, NY - Official Website - Recreation and Parks

Old 08-09-2013, 06:40 PM

308 posts, read 468,309 times
Quote:

The Southwedge and the neighborhood between South Ave & MT Hope, Elmwood to Highland are fine areas. I've been here 8 months now and the neighbors seem friendly, no crime that I have heard about. I feel safe here. I am across the street from Highland Park and just a few houses down from Mary Cariola. I walk the area night and day, including through the park at night- no problem.

Old 08-10-2013, 11:22 AM

55 posts, read 132,743 times
Bangkokmom, Brighton is absolutely safe and family friendly everywhere. A convenient location for you to look into would be the rectangle bordered by Elmwood on the north, Clinton on the west, Westfall on the south, and Winton on the east. (Contains among other neighborhoods an area called Lac de Ville.) If you've got money to spend, the Home Acres neighborhood (north of the rectangle I just described) is really nice.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:26 AM

Thanks guys, that's quite helpful hearing a good heads up about Brighton and the area around Mary Carioloa.

I've been looking at real estate listings, and then using Google maps to scope out the neighborhoods around houses that are listed that catch my eye. I like the "look" of the Maplewood neighborhood -- all those nice trees and close to the park. But according to the Neighborhood Scout site, it might be problematic with crime. And, actually, that has me a bit confused. I look at neighborhoods, where, based on the houses, the residents seem to be middle-income, with well tended homes -- the neighborhood is all neat and tidy -- but it's a high crime area? I'm used to "high crime" areas looking like ghettos, with paint peeling off houses, and junk out in the yard, etc.

Another question on a different vein -- we lived in Upstate NY before, but over toward Binghamton. I love the snow, but my husband found the incessant clouds a bit depressing. Is Rochester also always cloudy, or does one see the sun on occasion? And, we were also wondering, what with being next to Lake Ontario -- is it quite windy there? Broome County wasn't very windy because of the surrounding low mountains -- so it was quite pleasant getting out and doing outdoorsy things in winter. But I remember winter in Illinois (visited Urbana one winter) being unbearable because of the cold AND the wind.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:37 AM

93,734 posts, read 124,459,305 times
Quote:
Thanks guys, that's quite helpful hearing a good heads up about Brighton and the area around Mary Carioloa.

I've been looking at real estate listings, and then using Google maps to scope out the neighborhoods around houses that are listed that catch my eye. I like the "look" of the Maplewood neighborhood -- all those nice trees and close to the park. But according to the Neighborhood Scout site, it might be problematic with crime. And, actually, that has me a bit confused. I look at neighborhoods, where, based on the houses, the residents seem to be middle-income, with well tended homes -- the neighborhood is all neat and tidy -- but it's a high crime area? I'm used to "high crime" areas looking like ghettos, with paint peeling off houses, and junk out in the yard, etc.

Another question on a different vein -- we lived in Upstate NY before, but over toward Binghamton. I love the snow, but my husband found the incessant clouds a bit depressing. Is Rochester also always cloudy, or does one see the sun on occasion? And, we were also wondering, what with being next to Lake Ontario -- is it quite windy there? Broome County wasn't very windy because of the surrounding low mountains -- so it was quite pleasant getting out and doing outdoorsy things in winter. But I remember winter in Illinois (visited Urbana one winter) being unbearable because of the cold AND the wind.
If you want middle class and within city limits, look into the Southeastern neighborhoods. You may like neighborhoods like Upper Monroe, Highland Park and Browncroft.

Old 08-16-2013, 07:58 AM

55 posts, read 132,743 times
Maplewood has tons of beautiful homes. Seneca Parkway west of Dewey is my favorite street in the entire city. If you're concerned about crime though - don't live in Maplewood.

"Incessant clouds a bit depressing" - yeah, that sounds like Rochester's winter weather. Constant wind is not a problem here. (I used to live in the windiest city on earth--Wellington, New Zealand. By those standards, there is no wind in Rochester.)

Old 08-17-2013, 01:38 AM

What, exactly, is the crime in Maplewood? Drug trafficking? Home invasion? Getting mugged on the street? Drive by shootings?

In the 5 years that we lived in Broome County, we only had several minor incidents -- like, someone stole my pot of flowers that were by the sidewalk.

So, there's crime...and there's crime. So, wondering, what level of crime would be in Maplewood?

Another question -- what about those areas of Rochester and Irondequoit right up there by Lake Ontario? Is it colder there? More snow? More wind?

Old 08-17-2013, 07:45 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,605,648 times
Living RIGHT on Lake Ontario...in the Charlotte neighborhood in the city and in the northern areas of Greece, Irondequoit, and Webster...you experience "seasonal lag". Basically; fall comes later and lasts a bit longer, and spring comes later and lasts a bit longer. There will be days in October and November when it may be in the 50s in downtown Rochester and in the 60s or 70s on the lake. Conversely; in April and May, there may be days where it is in the 70s or 80s in downtown Rochester and in the 50s or 60s by the lake. During winter if you are right on the lake; there may be a small (around 5 degrees) temperature difference with it being a tad warmer; and during the summer it will generally be about 5-10 degrees cooler right by the lake.

Yes, Rochester is just as cloudy as Binghamton during the winter but it doesn't get quite as bitterly cold because of the lower elevation and proximity to the lake. Proximity to the lake does mean more snow but not really more wind. Buffalo gets the wind because they lie directly east down wind from the lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area