Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 10:45 AM

55 posts, read 132,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangkokmom View Post
what level of crime would be in Maplewood?
Sorry, didn't want to overstate the crime problem in Maplewood. The concern would be thefts and burglaries, not gang warfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2013, 11:12 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,616,147 times
Correct. Another issue with Maplewood, a much bigger issue IMO...is the proximity to Kodak Park (now called eastman business park). Talk about a NIMBY. Maplewood is a beautiful neighborhood but what you can't see in the pictures of those awesome houses on Seneca and Lake Ave are the smokestacks that virtually every one of those houses will be in sight of. It's an eyesore as well as a health concern. Kodak park is moreso why property values are lower in Maplewood than other neighborhoods with similar housing stock and ascetics than crime.

Old 08-17-2013, 08:42 PM

13 posts, read 17,288 times
Thanks Justsayin -- that's quite helpful to know about the effect of the lake on temperatures and snow. Actually, I never considered Binghamton to be bitterly cold when we lived there. We bought a house close to my job, and I frequently would walk to work (especially after a snow storm, when the roads in our neighborhood hadn't been cleared yet), and it was quite enjoyable. We also did lots of outdoor stuff throughout the winter (are there good sledding hills in Rochester - it seems quite flat?). Actually, one of the things I liked about NY is that one can be outdoors nearly all year round (compared to the south, where the heat in the 90's and 100's keeps one indoors in the AC from May through September) and don't even get me started on Bangkok!

Old 08-17-2013, 08:43 PM

13 posts, read 17,288 times
What's a NIMBY?

Old 08-18-2013, 06:35 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,616,147 times
NIMBY= Not In My Back Yard...ie...something that you wouldn't want to live in close proximity to.

I actually agree with you that I spend more time outside in Upstate NY than down south. We lived in the south for over a decade and spent far too many summer days cooped up in the AC. You can bundle up in the winter but there's only so much you can take off in the summer!

Old 08-19-2013, 11:19 AM
Mvl

102 posts, read 146,788 times
You know, every area has its good and bad points and you just have to prioritize what u want to deal with.
It finally sunk in one day when my brother who lives in Dallas Tx said...
"Up in western NY you spend perhaps Nov, Dec, Jan and February avoiding the weather. Down here in Dallas we spend May, June, July and August avoiding the weather here."
It's true.
I also had a friend who's husband was transferred from Fairport to Phoenix. She loved it! At first. That is until her kids turned into couch potatoes and wouldn't go outdoors during spring and summer. They got transferred back to Rochester as they requested. That pool she loved while Phoenix house hunting? Couldn't use it all summer as it was as warm as a bathtub.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:08 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,466,013 times
You may want to consider 14609, as well. Most of it is safe and definitely affordable.

Old 08-20-2013, 07:09 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,466,013 times
Consider 14609/N. Winton, as well. Safe part of the city (generally) and affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area