Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2010, 09:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,827 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. I will be moving to Rochester in the coming months for a new job at U of R. I am from NYC and looking to live in an area that would most resemble New York-- meaning, I would like an area where I could leave my building, walk down the street to pick some stuff up or walk to local bars/cafes/etc. However, i would also like to live in a nice updated/loft style building where indoor parking is available. Does anyone have any ideas where I should be looking? I just want to make sure I end up living in a good/nice/hip/young/safe area where there is stuff to do at night.

Any advice is incredibly appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2010, 11:08 PM

531 posts, read 1,144,199 times
Based on the criteria you've provided, I would recommend checking out virtually anywhere on Park ave. Another area I would look into would be Monroe ave. near the Oxford st. intersection. At these areas you will have walkable access to plenty of bars, cafes, coffee shops, and stores. However, it is important to note that while these areas may have all the things you mentioned, its still going to be far, far, far, different from what you're used to in NYC (many people consider this a good thing). That being said, as long as your willing to embrace the culture shift, I'm sure you'd be more than happy with either of those areas--especially park ave.

I would definitely check out these apartments: http://hannaproperties.com/

In terms of location, any of the properties listed on that site would suite your needs and provide you with exactly what your looking for. However, I don't know anything about the reputation 'Hanna Properties' has among it's past or present tenants . I'm sure someone on this board is familiar with these properties and can attest to the quality (or lack thereof?) of these establishments. Judging by their web-reviews and video tours, they seem quite impressive.

Last edited by 5ive8ight5ive; 06-29-2010 at 12:03 AM..

Old 06-29-2010, 05:43 AM

3,235 posts, read 8,719,629 times
No place in the country will resemble what you had in NYC. There are places like park ave and south wedge that have lots of bars and restaurants within walking distance, but the apartments are in old split up houses.
downtown has a few lofts, you can try the east end. There are bars and restaurants within walking distance. I'm not sure if the lofts in the East end are mostly owner occupied or rentals though.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:17 PM

127 posts, read 324,488 times
I moved to a loft here in downtown. mine is very NYC like lol i was in the same sitation as you so yeah i wouldnt move anywhere else but downtown, and yeah garage is a must, check this website and if you need more advice send me a mss and ill tell u where i live now.
[SIZE=2][SIZE=2]http://www.rochesterdowntown.com/living/search_residential.html
also check the other threads they have lots of good info too..
[/SIZE]
[/SIZE]

Old 06-29-2010, 02:22 PM

127 posts, read 324,488 times
here is the link again
RochesterDowntown.com // Search for Residential Real Estate

this one has good info too
https://www.city-data.com/forum/roche...wcomer-tx.html

Old 06-29-2010, 03:26 PM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
This could help give you an idea of what fits for you: Rochester Neighborhoods - Rochester Wiki

Old 06-29-2010, 03:27 PM

5,707 posts, read 4,097,871 times
I'd recomend the South Wedge. It's a pretty cool neighborhood with stores, shops and bars/resturants. Very walkable and near UR. No indoor parking, however. There's a brand new 4 story building with stores on the first floor and apartments above on South Ave. near Gregory St. (not quite finished yet, but very close)

Old 07-02-2010, 08:15 PM

59 posts, read 235,444 times
I came from Toronto, looking for a neighborhood that resembled the downtown area that I came from. My advice would be to give up on that, especially coming from NYC.

I was told that Park ave would be the most happening, urban area. I rode down Park, looking for that area, I kept going, kept going, and never found it--by my larger-city standards.

Just saying, get ready for a change, you won't be able to replace nyc. And welcome to UR! that's where I study.

A little something to try to sell Swedge on ya: SouthWedge.org - Rochester's South Wedge Neighborhood Social Network

and that site that ckhthankgod mentions is a super valuable resource.

Old 07-05-2010, 10:28 AM

5 posts, read 13,386 times
I'm not sure what your price range is but they just finished building new lofts in Village Gate, which is in Neighborhood of the Arts. Village gate itself has a lot of good restaurants (especially Salenas, best Mexican food ever) and retail. It is close to all the entertainment districts as well. The downtown lofts are nice, but there is not as much going on after working hours in downtown except for a few spots. Village Gate is safer overall than downtown is well. If you go to Craigslist under apartments and in the search area type "Village Gate" then click on the one that says "Luxury New Built Lofts-Call Today"

Old 07-05-2010, 10:45 AM

93,392 posts, read 124,052,832 times
This might help too: MapsKrieg - Rochester, NY - Apartments & Housing For Rent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Rochester area