Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2023, 10:40 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times

Advertisements

I keep a large desk calendar on my desk. Various groups send me one every year, VFW, American Legion, Shriners, etc. With various medical appointments, committee meetings, and social events, this is what I must do to keep track of it all. I rarely have any idea of what day of the week it is. Every morning with my first cup I review my calendar to see what the day has planned.

I do not view Monday any differently than I view Friday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2023, 09:03 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Well, there's another rock to throw in the plans of deciding when to go.....will they have what you need.

Last night, after work, I did the cold shopping, some cans, and on 3 items, I had to do contortions to get what I wanted.

Tiptoe to reach to the back to get the sardines (one aisle) and block cheese I wanted (another aisle).

Squat and stretch to get the last of the cheaper unsalted butter at the back, which was invisible from the front.

Okay, okay, it was well into the dark, in the evening, before the arrival of the supply trucks........but do we put that in our estimate of when to go, especially when we are not as flexible as we once were?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I keep a large desk calendar on my desk. Various groups send me one every year, VFW, American Legion, Shriners, etc. With various medical appointments, committee meetings, and social events, this is what I must do to keep track of it all. I rarely have any idea of what day of the week it is. Every morning with my first cup I review my calendar to see what the day has planned.

I do not view Monday any differently than I view Friday.
My day planner has my daily blood sugar numbers, what I ate, and what I watched on TV, plus any other appointments coming up and cyclic maintenance.

Old 12-05-2023, 09:51 AM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
No, I do not consider how much I will have to stretch or squat when I go shopping. I suppose if one has limited mobility they can ask for assistance. I've helped people in the grocery store when it looked like they were having problems.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-05-2023, 09:54 AM

7,566 posts, read 3,248,743 times
I sometimes look for long things so I can try to get those items on the top shelf (but, I'm 5'3"). The low stuff isn't so bad when you are short (you're kind of already down there -- LOL). It's the top shelf stuff that really bugs me. Sometimes I have to knock a bunch of stuff over or else if I don't see an employee I just have to skip it.

Old 12-05-2023, 10:03 AM

48,529 posts, read 34,851,331 times
I've used the bottom shelf as a step stool.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 12-05-2023, 10:07 AM

7,566 posts, read 3,248,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I've used the bottom shelf as a step stool.
I'm too hobbled to do that anymore. I used to do that.

Old 12-05-2023, 01:02 PM

25,445 posts, read 9,805,591 times
When I do go into town I try to get as many other errands done as possible. I hate wasting gas.

Old 12-05-2023, 02:25 PM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
During the weekend, while it would be the ideal time for shopping between time and my energy levels, I often don't. I don't leave the ranch unless I have to because, afterall, M-F, I have to go into town, anyway, for work.

But once we retire, is this a habit that is ingrained into us? To find a reason to have to go into town, anyway?
I still work part time from home but I try not to "go into town" unless I can accomplish more than one thing at a time. It's not worth the aggravation with our traffic.

Old 12-05-2023, 05:11 PM

37,617 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, there's another rock to throw in the plans of deciding when to go.....will they have what you need.

Last night, after work, I did the cold shopping, some cans, and on 3 items, I had to do contortions to get what I wanted.

Tiptoe to reach to the back to get the sardines (one aisle) and block cheese I wanted (another aisle).

Squat and stretch to get the last of the cheaper unsalted butter at the back, which was invisible from the front.

Okay, okay, it was well into the dark, in the evening, before the arrival of the supply trucks........but do we put that in our estimate of when to go, especially when we are not as flexible as we once were?My day planner has my daily blood sugar numbers, what I ate, and what I watched on TV, plus any other appointments coming up and cyclic maintenance.
Really? Now you are adding flexibility into your "when to shop" quandary??

I've never even considered that for a second. I have never had any problems getting what I needed, and if I can't reach a top shelf (which is rare since I am tall) then I simply ask a store clerk. That's what they are there for.

Old 12-05-2023, 06:11 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Really? Now you are adding flexibility into your "when to shop" quandary??

I've never even considered that for a second. I have never had any problems getting what I needed, and if I can't reach a top shelf (which is rare since I am tall) then I simply ask a store clerk. That's what they are there for.
If you can get a store clerk......they are rather hard to get at Wally World.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement