Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2015, 01:21 PM

5,182 posts, read 5,260,495 times

Advertisements

Shootings, shootings, and more shootings throughout the area, including the beloved 3500 block of Juneway. In my 23 years of living in Bel-Ed, there were (drum roll) zero shootings. And not because it was a wealthy neighborhood with fat, contented residents, on the contrary, it was lower middle and "upper lower" class grasping for a piece of prosperity.

To be fair, someone said that the neighborhood was still habitable until residents who lived near the main John Hopkins Hospital were displaced and flooded into Bel-Ed to make room for some sort of Bio Tech complex. Really don't know about that, but at any rate, it's really depressing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2015, 06:07 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,096,240 times
Baltimore Sun did the statistics and deemed it the most dangerous neighborhood in Baltimore.

Old 03-02-2015, 08:55 AM

789 posts, read 1,098,298 times
Geographically isolated, older infrastructure, economically depressed, surrounded by blight; honestly what did you expect? It all stemmed from white flight... making this post relatively ironic.

Old 03-02-2015, 09:33 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,260,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlax View Post
Geographically isolated, older infrastructure, economically depressed, surrounded by blight; honestly what did you expect? It all stemmed from white flight... making this post relatively ironic.
Parents tried to hang on and get along. First came the "youffs" walking by and grabbing their crotches while passing. Then there were auto vandalism, theft of porch furniture, an attempted break-in .... The last straw was the rape of two elderly neighbors, one in broad daylight on her front porch.

Last thing the parents wanted to do at age 62 was relocate but that's what they did, joined the other evil whiteys and flew the coop.

Last edited by Calvert Hall '62; 03-02-2015 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: spelling

Old 03-02-2015, 10:09 AM

789 posts, read 1,098,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvert Hall '62 View Post
Parents tried to hang on and get along. First came the "youffs" walking by and grabbing their crotches while passing. Then there were auto vandalism, theft of porch furniture, an attempted break-in .... The last straw was the rape of two elderly neighbors, one in broad daylight on her front porch.

Last thing the parents wanted to do at age 62 was relocate but that's what they did, joined the other evil whiteys and flew the coop.
My grandparents did the same thing just a couple neighborhoods down. Not hating, just noticing the irony.

Old 03-02-2015, 11:39 AM

8,255 posts, read 13,390,832 times
Yes its unfortunate... and yes folks being displaced from other areas are settling in many areas of NE Baltimore in areas like Gardenville, Overlea, and Bel Air Edison... To be fair these areas may have had their own "criminals" that have taken root there in the 80s and 90s.. What you are seeing now is those same groups or "crews" battling with the displaced criminals from the area around Hopkins for the soul of the area.. Its a shame.> Alot of good things were/are happening in the NE with Lauraville, Hamilton, Waltherson, Beverly Hills to name a few.> These areas will likely survive but they may become surrounded by problematic neighborhoods.

Old 03-02-2015, 02:52 PM

759 posts, read 1,358,880 times
Belair-Edison was on the skids long before the JHH expansion began.
And the same problem continues to move steadily North up the Belair Rd corridor.
I worry everyday about my Gardenville neighborhood, and there is no way anyone can blame the problems here on white flight.
Anybody remember when Cedonia was a solid step up from areas like Belair-Edison, Frankford and Claremont? Hasn't been that long ago...

Old 03-02-2015, 04:23 PM

8,255 posts, read 13,390,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.K. View Post
Belair-Edison was on the skids long before the JHH expansion began.
And the same problem continues to move steadily North up the Belair Rd corridor.
I worry everyday about my Gardenville neighborhood, and there is no way anyone can blame the problems here on white flight.
Anybody remember when Cedonia was a solid step up from areas like Belair-Edison, Frankford and Claremont? Hasn't been that long ago...

For starters.. make sure you dont allow single family homes to get carved up into duplexes and rooming homes.. That is how it starts.. totally destroyed Forest Park, Windsor Hills.. though sections are on the rebound and some were already on the slide before these nails arrived in their coffin. Hamilton, Gardenville and such should be OK.. There are alot of good things happening on Harford Road.. Bel Air Road.. not so much... Stay involved in your neighborhood association and watch out for problem properties....

Old 03-05-2015, 02:24 PM

675 posts, read 725,135 times
It's happening all over Baltimore. Last week there were two murders just a few blocks from me. It's almost common place. So many poorly socialized people. I suspect we are seeing the result of years of teenage pregnancy in Baltimore and no father present in the home. Currently the teenage pregnancy rate is three times the national average, mostly Hispanic I am told though I don't see many people of Hispanic origin. What can we do about it ? Just pay for it through our taxes or leave.

Old 03-06-2015, 02:34 PM

2,423 posts, read 2,096,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debold4215 View Post
It's happening all over Baltimore. Last week there were two murders just a few blocks from me. It's almost common place. So many poorly socialized people. I suspect we are seeing the result of years of teenage pregnancy in Baltimore and no father present in the home. Currently the teenage pregnancy rate is three times the national average, mostly Hispanic I am told though I don't see many people of Hispanic origin. What can we do about it ? Just pay for it through our taxes or leave.
Going to a grocery store while seeing 4 people in front of me swiping their SNAP card. Mothers couldn't of been any older than 21 and had 1-3 kids each. But has no problem buying $190 pair of Jordans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Baltimore