Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 05:14 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,406,229 times

Advertisements

For have-to-do errands, with the price of gas, I keep a running list and when enough of them pile up I go. We live in town but the shopping area I usually use is distant enough to make a difference.

But when I get an itch to get out of the house I scratch it. In good weather I can go whenever I want for pennies on the motorcycle.

Someone has to practice thrifty habits as DH runs errands several times a day. I don't even want to know what his weekly gas bill is. Or his shopping habit. It's what he does - prepare for projects he might someday start. With the Alzheimer's he's lost his perspective on time.

Retirement for him means he's going to meet his Maker with everything he ever wanted and couldn't afford!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2023, 05:18 PM

821 posts, read 464,660 times
We live in town and I don't go to "town" on the weekend unless I have to.
Anything I need done I do it during the week. I'm sure they're all mighty good people but I don't want to be cheek by jowl standing in interminable lines everywhere I go. I'll just wait till they go to work Monday.

Old 12-03-2023, 05:34 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
For have-to-do errands, with the price of gas, I keep a running list and when enough of them pile up I go. We live in town but the shopping area I usually use is distant enough to make a difference.
I also keep a running go-to-town errand and grocery list on the fridge next to a calendar. Got a modest sized magnetized dry erase board. I can lift it off the fridge and stuff it in a shopping bag if necessary. Not only does this avoid extra trips, it avoids irritation over wasted time and forgetfulness. Frees my working memory of a little more clutter. Easy peasy!

Old 12-03-2023, 05:51 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Are you retiring? You may find, as I did, that the meme is true. "Every time I leave the house, it costs $300." Where you once spend your days earning money, you may find you now spend them spending it.

Old 12-03-2023, 05:59 PM

15,402 posts, read 7,468,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Freedom is one thing.......available funds for it is another.
Retirement, where every day is Saturday

Old 12-03-2023, 06:27 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,969,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
Are you retiring? You may find, as I did, that the meme is true. "Every time I leave the house, it costs $300." Where you once spend your days earning money, you may find you now spend them spending it.
Something like that.

One of those things, like the life review, is that when I don't make a trip like to a festival on a Saturday, the mental calculator comes up with how much money I didn't spend.

Further, right now with my credit card bills, there are a lot of side calculations about "going on batteries", of how not to spend money here and there.

Of course, one of the side calculations that doesn't have a cash register associated with it....yet, is what is the stress level associated with errands during the week, especially since I now have to face stress head on instead of coping with alcohol. Now, on a side angle, one of the counter ways to handle that is to see shopping like a target of opportunity visit to a port as if my life was a ship or yacht. That is, engage on a fantasy.

In reality, the thing of having a list with me so when the chance appears, I know what I want, need to get.

Old 12-03-2023, 07:38 PM

35,057 posts, read 31,266,455 times
I'm not big on doing big box shopping on the weekends if I can avoid it. The crowds are always much worse.

Old 12-03-2023, 10:37 PM

7,492 posts, read 3,223,452 times
I deliberately started to intend to drive a lot less a couple of months back. Before I was just driving less from working from home; but, with no thought to grouping errands, etc. So, my mileage was down from 12,000 to 6,000 miles per year just from working from home and the pandemic. But, with my intention of driving less for a couple months there I was going to the gas station and "filling up" for $25 every three weeks (driving like 150 miles in three weeks). Anyways, I noticed how much money it saves!!! My car has a V6 engine and I am lucky to get 17 mph around town. I live in town; it was the edge of the urban growth boundary and felt like the country 20 years ago and even 10 years ago. But, the fact that across the street about 2 miles from my house is a small mall with a Macys and a strip mall with an Ethan Allen, Target, Best Buy, Barnes and Noble. At one point I figured there were around 20 Starbucks within a one mile radius of my house (including the ones in the grocery stores). So, again, I am in the suburbs close to the urban growth boundary (with coyotes and wild cats, wild rabbits, eagles, and all sorts of nature running about). But, it really all built up and filled in around me.

I have to keep reminding myself about things like this (remember, you are trying to drive less). Hopefully it becomes a habit.

Just working from home I try to take a long lunch hour (and work later into the evening) once or twice a week to get some shopping (or other errands) done. The reason why is it is SO OBVIOUS HERE that it is better to do errands between about 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. Monday through Friday.

My neighbors retired in 2016 and the only thing they do on the weekends are fun things (like festivals and such).

I hear you on budgeting (which has become more complicated with inflation).

I have this idea that living on a retirement budget for 5-6 years prior to retirement is a way to prepare for retirement. Essentially stop spending money and shrink my budget (a huge chunk is fixed though and my animals are a big expense). What goes along with that is observing retirees in their natural habitat (on City Data) - LOL

I do a lot of shopping online that I used to do in person before the pandemic. Huge shipments from Chewy and Petco. A lot more Amazon shopping (a lot of items I normally use are now available on Amazon). I shop and make sure I get the best price (but, I try to stick to reliable websites (usually Target and Walmart are also okay). A few other websites that I frequent are very legitimate and safe websites.

Last edited by Wile E. Coyote; 12-03-2023 at 10:48 PM..

Old 12-04-2023, 12:08 AM

16,070 posts, read 10,729,796 times
I live about 45 minutes from the city center (a 1 million metro) and seldom make the trip. With few exceptions, everything I need is much closer - about 15 minutes or less. Once a week I make a 30 minute trip to meet with friends. Once a month I have an evening board meeting. Apart from that I am wearing out the pavement going to the few routine places I frequent almost every week — grocery, Walgreens, a brew pub, a fast food place, book store, coffee shop. I try not to drive at night. I avoid the interstate highways unless I am on a road trip or heading to the airport.

On the other hand, I’m happy to drive 80 miles into the outback desert or the mountains on a good day for photography.

Old 12-04-2023, 03:55 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,162,125 times
Being retired you learn when to not go to town. My favorite days are Tues, Wed and Thur. I'll go on Mon and Fri if I have to but avoid weekends at all costs.

You also learn to avoid certain hours like lunch or after 4pm if possible.

Last place I want to be is shopping on a Saturday afternoon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement