Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-03-2023, 10:07 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times

Advertisements

During the weekend, while it would be the ideal time for shopping between time and my energy levels, I often don't. I don't leave the ranch unless I have to because, afterall, M-F, I have to go into town, anyway, for work.

But once we retire, is this a habit that is ingrained into us? To find a reason to have to go into town, anyway?
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2023, 10:19 AM

986 posts, read 547,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
During the weekend, while it would be the ideal time for shopping between time and my energy levels, I often don't. I don't leave the ranch unless I have to because, afterall, M-F, I have to go into town, anyway, for work.

But once we retire, is this a habit that is ingrained into us? To find a reason to have to go into town, anyway?
Not for me. My best time was 2020 during the covid lockdown. I have plenty to keep me busy at home, and I live in town, but I don't like shopping. I go once a week. When I was working and taking care of my aunt I only left the house on Saturday when a comfort Keeper person would come stay with her for a few hours. Now that I am retired I do leave the house more often because my aunt goes to a senior center twie a week. So, I do feel tied down now because of not being able to leave her alone, and I spend the time she is at the center visiting friends or getting supplies at Home Depot to work on a project, this house needs a lot of fixing.

P.S. I worked from home since 2016 so maybe that makes a difference in my attitude.

Old 12-03-2023, 10:42 AM

43,153 posts, read 18,306,779 times
Quote:

When you retire the weekends is when you don't go into town

I lived rural for 10 years of retirement....met friends for lunch, went shopping, etc all during the week.
I live in a town now and still stay home on weekends.

Old 12-03-2023, 10:43 AM

37,627 posts, read 46,045,092 times
Quote:

I never had such a habit. I want to go somewhere, then I go. The day does not matter a whit.

Old 12-03-2023, 10:51 AM

19,824 posts, read 9,381,719 times
I don't have a particular day of the week I go or don't go (unless there is a festival or some kind of marathon going on in a weekend), but I do all of my weekly errands -- post office, bank, weekly grocery shopping and any miscellaneous errands -- in the nearest 'big little town' (pop. about 10,000) on the same day, although this day usually varies from week to week. (The big little town is 15 miles from us, and I don't like to waste gas, so if we need something between the weekly trips, we go to the small local market which is just two miles from us.)

Old 12-03-2023, 01:31 PM

23,326 posts, read 18,890,074 times
One of the major joys of retirement is more freedom to go wherever you want whenever you darn well please! You can be spontaneous, even frivolous about scheduling your time. Wasteful, efficient or not, you could even (shudder) retain the same exact patterns you followed while you worked. So many OPs who start threads here seem to view crossing the threshold of retirement as equivalent to transiting into the fourth dimension. Let's not drift off into the whole "wasting fuel, energy, atmospheric gasses, wear and tear on the car, money" aspects of being frivolous, shall we? Totally different concerns. Some people become misers in retirement for good reasons. Others become misers for no good reason. Another facet of the retiree population doesn't. Financing day to day living in retirement gets done to death and will continue to be. There's no one-size-fits-all answer. I get it. Retirement after 20, 30, 40 or more years in the working world is a big change. What I don't get is the urge/desire to psychoanalyze such minutiae to such a degree or to nail down every aspect of one's daily retired life so firmly. Who's going to leap out of the bushes to shake their finger at you if you don't do exactly what someone else does anyway?

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-03-2023 at 02:02 PM..

Old 12-03-2023, 01:35 PM

22,603 posts, read 47,717,056 times
I never liked running errands on the weekends, so I don't.
Not now, not 30 years ago.

When I worked, I did my errands before work, after work, or on my lunch break.
Why make an extra trip?
Why not keep your days off free?

But, you know... YOU get to decide what YOU want to do in YOUR retirement!

Old 12-03-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I don't have a particular day of the week I go or don't go (unless there is a festival or some kind of marathon going on in a weekend), but I do all of my weekly errands -- post office, bank, weekly grocery shopping and any miscellaneous errands -- in the nearest 'big little town' (pop. about 10,000) on the same day, although this day usually varies from week to week. (The big little town is 15 miles from us, and I don't like to waste gas, so if we need something between the weekly trips, we go to the small local market which is just two miles from us.)
This is sort of me with one exception, sort of, get to that in a moment.

One of the things about doing the trips when I have to be in town is that I can conserving "petro" and in that area, that is at least one area I am very financially conscious about. It is a pain to be doing do much on those days, especially when another one of those days is "tomorrow", however. Another pain is getting home with the car loaded with so much and so limited of a time to put it away before bed. I try to have them bag all the cold stuff in the same bags.

The exception is pets in the car. Essentially, to prevent the forgot about the backseat horror stories, that's an only one thing trip, that I am only thinking about that. When I retired, that will stay the same.

How I will do the rest of it? Well, working on that.

Old 12-03-2023, 01:48 PM

18,122 posts, read 15,704,019 times
Freedom is doing what you want, when you want (assuming stores are open when the urge or need to go hits).

Old 12-03-2023, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
Freedom is doing what you want, when you want (assuming stores are open when the urge or need to go hits).
Freedom is one thing.......available funds for it is another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement