Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2023, 04:03 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,800 posts, read 58,310,542 times

Advertisements

I never go to town (6000 pop) ...
1) during rush hour
2) while school buses are on the road
3) during the 2 days we host a National MX race series

I plan my trips efficient for time and fuel. (Fuel has been free since 1976)

I don't do stoplights. (None in our entire county) yippee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2023, 05:50 AM

9,518 posts, read 5,312,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
During the weekend, while it would be the ideal time for shopping between time and my energy levels, I often don't. I don't leave the ranch unless I have to because, afterall, M-F, I have to go into town, anyway, for work.

But once we retire, is this a habit that is ingrained into us? To find a reason to have to go into town, anyway?
Nope. I'm retired but I always have reasons to go into town, mostly grocery shopping or swimming or pickleball, or bowling, but I usually consolidate my errands into one of those days, if I can. Can't do much on pickleball day because there's nothing in that town, but that's only 8 miles away. I can live with that.
Today is Monday, bowling day. Costco is right next door, will do that, get some groceries, drive across town for dog food and hit the liquor store on the way.

Frankly, I'd prefer to stay home but that's not feasible.

Old 12-04-2023, 07:06 AM

4,175 posts, read 3,099,369 times
I have spent my entire life trying to avoid busy times on roads and in businesses. Being retired just allows me to do a better job of that. A day when I don't have to leave the house is something I get to enjoy a lot more than when I was working.

Old 12-04-2023, 07:08 AM

22,121 posts, read 13,144,536 times
To answer your question, I "go into town" every single day, as sitting home alone staring at the four walls all day isn't very appealing. In my case, it's almost always a neighboring town or city where I engage in my hobbies with others, which invariably involves driving an hour both ways, eating out afterwards, often stopping by a Goodwill and buying something there, and increasingly indulging in that morning cup of coffee for the cold morning drive because I find I really enjoy that. I used to do this only on the two weekend days when I was otherwise working (and EARNING money) the other five. So yeah; it's spendy.

To answer MY question, are you retiring? I couldn't make head nor tails of your answer!

Old 12-04-2023, 08:29 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,103,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
To answer your question, I "go into town" every single day, as sitting home alone staring at the four walls all day isn't very appealing. In my case, it's almost always a neighboring town or city where I engage in my hobbies with others, which invariably involves driving an hour both ways, eating out afterwards, often stopping by a Goodwill and buying something there, and increasingly indulging in that morning cup of coffee for the cold morning drive because I find I really enjoy that. I used to do this only on the two weekend days when I was otherwise working (and EARNING money) the other five. So yeah; it's spendy.

To answer MY question, are you retiring? I couldn't make head nor tails of your answer!
RETIREMENT????????? THAT'S FOR OLD PEOPLE! (said somewhat in jest)

But the basic point is that it is a question that is constantly asked me, bosses and brokers, and it will probably happen in less than 10 years time. As it might be for some people, I am slightly terrified and am trying to get as many answers as I can before I take that big step.....to say little here of trying to get the ranch as self sustaining as possible.

Now, on another note to this subject, every once in a while, like once a month, I do the "Grand Tour". Pet supplies from a Wally World in a neighboring city, stop by the Big Lots in that city for what is on sale, from coffee to spices to canned meats to tees, stop by the Dollar Tree for foods and DVDs of use to me, and then home. The great thing of this, they are all on the same side of the highway so it is just a series of "hyperspace jumps". (We do have a Wally World in my town but it doesn't carry the supplies I need and it is a bit more tedious to get to).

The down side? Weekend travel. In the past, I have tried to do the HEB for my main haul at the end of the Grand Tour, but usually I am too pooped for that.......so far.

Finally, ideally, the Grand Tour should be done with a cooler in the vehicle and that vehicle should be the F-250 since I am hauling 200 lbs of kitty litter. The problem? One of the parking lots was where someone tried to steal the F-250, punched the door lock when there was one, many years ago. I am apprehensive of taking my F-250, popular with traffickers, into the southern lands, closer to the border........

.........just saying, all in all.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 12-04-2023 at 09:10 AM..

Old 12-04-2023, 08:42 AM

7,272 posts, read 4,648,913 times
I never shop on the weekends. I take a walk daily but other than that I have days that I stay home and enjoy it. The days I stay home I may clean, do laundry, read, knit, catch up with long distance friends on the phone, visit with friends in my building, etc. I also still work part time booking my clients when I want and doing the resorts at home. My 2 Maltese are excellent company. I’m glad that I don’t have to go somewhere daily.

Old 12-04-2023, 09:14 AM

22,666 posts, read 47,866,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
RETIREMENT????????? THAT'S FOR OLD PEOPLE! (said somewhat in jest)

But the basic point is that it is a question that is constantly asked me, bosses and brokers, and it will probably happen in less than 10 years time. As it might be for some people, I am slightly terrified and am trying to get as many answers as I can before I take that big step

Terrified???
About what exactly?

And, when you DO retire, the answers given here might very well be moot.
No sense worrying about things - or trying to plan things - that may not even happen for 10 years!

Old 12-04-2023, 09:18 AM

18,267 posts, read 15,815,168 times
Anytime I can avoid crowds when shopping or running errands in general, it makes for a nice, efficient excursion. Off-hours during the week have been .

Old 12-04-2023, 09:22 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,103,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Terrified???
About what exactly?

And, when you DO retire, the answers given here might very well be moot.
No sense worrying about things - or trying to plan things - that may not even happen for 10 years!
Might not.....might yes. As to the latter, there is always a possibility that one's working conditions might change that may be unacceptable .

As to about what exactly? Well, I don't know, all those areas that I know nothing about to ask about.....all those areas that other people take for granted that "Everyone knows that!"........one only has to look at the responses on CD that I've gotten over the years to realize that situation exists.

Old 12-04-2023, 09:22 AM

37,546 posts, read 61,596,793 times
I decided to swim laps at the YMCA M-W-F.

On Mondays, a restaurant we like offers a cheeseburger plate for $6 [only $5 during the month of June]

We have a grocery store that offers a 5% discount to all vets on Mondays.

As a result we drive into town on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement