Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2020, 08:00 AM

7,046 posts, read 6,298,150 times

Advertisements

I wonder if whoever put out the oranges at the choir rehearsal was the one who, unknowingly, had the virus. Not everyone would have taken one and I can't imagine whoever did would then find somewhere to wash them off.

Just a thought because it was only a handful that got sick. I can't imagine how else just a few would have been affected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2020, 08:07 AM

7,899 posts, read 7,113,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgardener View Post
I was surprised to see on the news today that the Washington State Dept. of Health say there is no reason to disinfect your groceries.

"While you should thoroughly wash your hands after returning from the grocery store, there is no reason to try to disinfect your groceries, according to DOH."
And the health officials in Michigan claimed the water in Flint was safe.

Health officials in the US have been telling us we do not need face masks when we are out. The experts in South Korea and China tell us that is wrong and they have an entire population wearing masks. We are not sure what happen in China, but South Korea has been extremely effective in blunting the Covid infection rate.

The facts are quite clear and come from the only published study. Covid virus remains infective for hours if not days on solid surfaces. Droplets and aerosol particles can land on surfaces that have been near people.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:12 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,763,707 times
I still don’t wear anything like face mask when I’m out. But I try to keep 6 feet apart. But my husband wears gloves now, the disposable type and then he throws them away. But we’re not New York City.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:22 AM

2,547 posts, read 2,737,804 times
I don't see how wearing masks can work if you don't have your eyes covered.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:10 AM

5,179 posts, read 3,091,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post
I don't see how wearing masks can work if you don't have your eyes covered.
Do you breathe through your eyes? Yes better protection would include a full face shield that covers the eyes, but a decent mask gets you 90% of the way there. There is a huge difference in outcomes if the infection starts from say 50 virus particles versus 50,000. With the smaller number the body’s immune system has a chance to deal with the infection, the larger number overwhelms it. A mild case versus a month-long hospital stay ending in death. I know which one I’d rather do.

Old 03-31-2020, 10:52 AM

My husband wore mask today to wait in line for Costco senior hour. Luckily I got one when I went to see a doctor last. I’m gone to hang this outside in full sun, he will reuse this again, but by then the virus will hopefully be killed on this mask already.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:01 AM

37,618 posts, read 46,006,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
And the health officials in Michigan claimed the water in Flint was safe.

Health officials in the US have been telling us we do not need face masks when we are out. The experts in South Korea and China tell us that is wrong and they have an entire population wearing masks. We are not sure what happen in China, but South Korea has been extremely effective in blunting the Covid infection rate.

The facts are quite clear and come from the only published study. Covid virus remains infective for hours if not days on solid surfaces. Droplets and aerosol particles can land on surfaces that have been near people.
I honestly think they are not recommending face masks so that the already-short supply won't get even worse. I have a couple of boxes of the earloop surgical masks - I bought them when my parents both got pneumonia back in November, but I am not wearing them yet. I am thinking that I might start though.

Old 03-31-2020, 11:15 AM

If you wait in long line then it’s a good idea to wear them. I stayed away from the crowd and only joined my husband at the last minute. I didn’t have one.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:34 AM

529 posts, read 491,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I honestly think they are not recommending face masks so that the already-short supply won't get even worse. I have a couple of boxes of the earloop surgical masks - I bought them when my parents both got pneumonia back in November, but I am not wearing them yet. I am thinking that I might start though.
From what I understand, they have not been recommending wearing one when not sick, as the mask does not seal completely around your nose and mouth, which allows stuff to get in. They are considering recommending it now, in that one may not know they are infected (mild case, or pre-symptoms), and everyone wearing the mask helps in that situation.

Also add, the supply demand has a part in it also.

Old 04-01-2020, 09:56 AM

43,124 posts, read 18,281,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
I wonder if whoever put out the oranges at the choir rehearsal was the one who, unknowingly, had the virus. Not everyone would have taken one and I can't imagine whoever did would then find somewhere to wash them off.

Just a thought because it was only a handful that got sick. I can't imagine how else just a few would have been affected.
Airborne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement