Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 01:03 PM

20,713 posts, read 16,537,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
We are doing the initial processing outside on the front porch. Then after spraying and wiping with disinfectant, we are then washing canned goods and other items that can handle washing. We just got a major order from Costco. All the bulk items like pasta and canned goods are still sitting in the sun on the porch. We spent a half hour processing eggs, frozen packages, meats and more perishable items. Again, that was a two stage process with initial disinfectant used outside, then a final washing in the sink.
Wow...it makes me wish I was retired so I could do all this...and that I had optimal temps and sunshine to do this kind of prep outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 01:04 PM

14,451 posts, read 11,950,455 times
Quote:
You are able to get clothes washing soap? We are not going out to the stores to look for it and are looking at rationing our remaining supply.
Yes, our stores here (SoCal) are fully stocked. I have had no trouble getting laundry detergent.

Do you have a younger friend who could pick some things up for you?

Old 03-27-2020, 01:06 PM

4,553 posts, read 3,809,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Don't have the option of delivery where I'm at. So will need to risk the every 10 day trip to a grocery store, similar precautions as you.

We can stave off the inevitable for awhile, but the reality is that there is a 50/50 chance we will eventually get Covid 19 this round. And if we have a resurgence next season the odds are even better. One thing to remember is that unless you are elderly with underlying health issues, odds are 8 in 10 of having a mild case. Which should provide immunity to future infection assuming this thing does not mutate.

Really worried about your state with the large number of retirees down there.
Our town’s average age is 67, with huge retirement communities here. Most of the snowbirds have left and are leaving and there are very few tourists, which accounts for some of the emptiness in the grocery store. I’m bracing for the numbers to explode with all the travel between here, NY and all the other states.

Last edited by jean_ji; 03-27-2020 at 01:19 PM..

Old 03-27-2020, 01:22 PM

11,186 posts, read 16,111,269 times
Quote:
If you do get groceries delivered, or worst case, if you go shopping and return, here is a recommendation of how to handle the groceries:
Instead of taking advice from some random "family physician" in Grand Rapids, MI, I'd rather listen to someone who is actually knowledgeable in this specific area, such as Joseph G. Allen, who is an assistant professor of exposure and assessment science and director of the Healthy Buildings Program at Harvard University’s T.H. Chan School of Public Health. Here's an article he wrote in the Washington Post, in which he uses scientific data to explain exactly why the risk is low of becoming infected from handling food or grocery shipping containers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...ting-packages/

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
No offense but I don't have the patience to watch a 13 minute video. I also find myself getting restless watching TV shows I used to enjoy.
Then don't spend 13 minutes watching it (or any other video for that matter). Just click the tool icon and speed up the video. I normally watch Youtube videos at 1.25 or 1.5 speed, depending upon how slowly the person talks or reveals information.

Old 03-27-2020, 01:31 PM

15,259 posts, read 13,102,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Then don't spend 13 minutes watching it (or any other video for that matter). Just click the tool icon and speed up the video. I normally watch Youtube videos at 1.25 or 1.5 speed, depending upon how slowly the person talks or reveals information.

I spent one minute reading the WaPo article. Very sensible advice.

Old 03-27-2020, 01:51 PM

43,840 posts, read 18,849,832 times
I just treat each grocery item as if I'm handling raw, bleeding chicken. That sure puts it in perspective.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:32 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,835,455 times
I just treat everything like it's got slow-drying (4-5 days ) paint on it. If I can, I put it in a sunny spot. No perishables unless it gets cooked for now. Canned or shelf-stabilized stuff.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:29 PM

2,692 posts, read 3,723,149 times
Worry and stress severely compromise the immune system. https://www.apa.org/research/action/immune

I wash my hands, and I use soap and hot water on the tops of cans and bottles -- but I've done that for years. I refuse to stress out about food. The most I do is try not to buy fresh fruits and vegetables. I must admit that I don't shop at Walmart.

The best thing we can do is to relax. Soothing music. Deep breathing for a while.

It's estimated that 1.5 million people in The US MAY die from this virus. I am not minimizing that. If we or someone we love die from the virus, the virus becomes even more important than it is now. But we have 333,333,333+ people in The US. 1.5 million is not a full 1/2%.

80+% of those who have gotten the virus (so far) recover at home, because it's not that big a deal for them. Just because we're old -- that doesn't mean that, if we get the virus, we won't get a mild case.

If we get the virus, we are far more likely to die from improper and inadequate medical treatment. Now THAT is a concern, I do realize.

But, for right now, if we get the virus, we have a very slim chance of dying from the virus.

Lastly, just make sure that all your affairs are in order. After all, we have a greater chance of dying in a car accident on the way home from the store. :-)

Old 03-27-2020, 06:34 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,153,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GearHeadDave View Post
Don't have the option of delivery where I'm at. So will need to risk the every 10 day trip to a grocery store, similar precautions as you.

We can stave off the inevitable for awhile, but the reality is that there is a 50/50 chance we will eventually get Covid 19 this round. And if we have a resurgence next season the odds are even better. One thing to remember is that unless you are elderly with underlying health issues, odds are 8 in 10 of having a mild case. Which should provide immunity to future infection assuming this thing does not mutate.

Really worried about your state with the large number of retirees down there.
I hope you are not correct. If so, that means 150 million cases. Those will swamp the healthcare system with 15 million requiring ventilators. Without that number of ventilators the death rate will increase substantially beyond the hoped for 1%. Even the 1% means 1.5 million deaths. Without ventilators and intensive care the death rate is probably closer to 3%, so 4.5 million deaths.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:37 PM

7,898 posts, read 7,153,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post

But, for right now, if we get the virus, we have a very slim chance of dying from the virus.

Not really. The 1% death rate is largely confined to the population that is over 65 which is about 15% of the total. You do the math. It is not good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement