Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 11:16 AM

15,250 posts, read 12,957,322 times

Advertisements

No offense but I don't have the patience to watch a 13 minute video. I also find myself getting restless watching TV shows I used to enjoy.

I take baked goods out of their wrappings and transfer to a ziploc bag or similar. The wrappings or containers go straight out to the trash. Cans are easy, just put them in the garage for 3-5 days. I disinfect milk cartons and the like, then put them in the main "clean" refrigerator. I still have a bunch of stuff in the backup "dirty" refrigerator to disinfect. I have to make some homemade bleach wipes today because I don't think it's a good idea to squirt bleach solution on tubs of ice cream. I'm not convinced the lids are on tight.

I do the disinfecting in the catering kitchen, not the main one. Although you could probably do it anywhere you have an extra sink, like the garage.

It's probably true that fruit rots faster once you wash it but that's a problem easily solved by eating it promptly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 11:32 AM

5,153 posts, read 3,083,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
No offense but I don't have the patience to watch a 13 minute video. I also find myself getting restless watching TV shows I used to enjoy.

I take baked goods out of their wrappings and transfer to a ziploc bag or similar. The wrappings or containers go straight out to the trash. Cans are easy, just put them in the garage for 3-5 days. I disinfect milk cartons and the like, then put them in the main "clean" refrigerator. I still have a bunch of stuff in the backup "dirty" refrigerator to disinfect. I have to make some homemade bleach wipes today because I don't think it's a good idea to squirt bleach solution on tubs of ice cream. I'm not convinced the lids are on tight.

I do the disinfecting in the catering kitchen, not the main one. Although you could probably do it anywhere you have an extra sink, like the garage.

It's probably true that fruit rots faster once you wash it but that's a problem easily solved by eating it promptly.
No offense, but what does “take baked goods out of their wrappings and transfer to a ziploc bag or similar” accomplish? Do you think any viruses on the wrapper are going to wait patiently while you move the bags around and then throw them away?

Old 03-27-2020, 11:35 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
I touch nothing until 3 days later. Not 100% perfect. With vegetables, I can’t eat them all in 3 days. I got caught short on this, I normally have fresh vegetables from my garden, but I had plan to travel for a long time so I didn’t start anything. All I have is fruit like blueberries and blackberries, and fresh peas.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:57 AM

4,536 posts, read 3,755,086 times
Our son asked us last night if we needed them to shop for us. We declined. I shop every 10 days, with a produce pickup from a co-op on Sundays, delivered in boxes in a parking lot. I brought all the groceries into the house today and put the bags on newspapers on the floor. I wiped every thing I bought with Lysol wipes and let them dry on the table. All counters, table and floor were cleaned after. All the plastic bags are out in the sun and 85 degrees today. I’m so glad we haven’t banned plastic bags here yet, there’s no way I’m using re-usable bags at this time.

Our Publix was fairly empty, with the usual missing products like paper towels and TP, along with low stock in canned goods. There BOGO beer selection was gone, but I was there early. Their bakery items were fully loaded. Ground meat could only be bought in one pound packages with a limit of two per customer. I found everything on my list. I did wear disposable gloves in the store and cleaned all the surfaces I touched in my car and all handles etc when I got home.

I use the dishwasher, but also use a bamboo dish drain on the counter. I tossed the bamboo thing in the pool to soak for an hour and let it dry in the sun. I stripped my clothes off and soaked myself in the pool for a half hour too while getting some vitamin D.

We have not eaten any meals we haven’t prepared ourselves for three weeks and have a feeling when this levels out, that won’t change much. We decided early on not to purchase any carry-out meals for the duration.

Thank goodness I’m only shopping every 10 days, I am so tired of doing all of the precautionary/reactionary wiping, and cleaning along with washing of vegetables/fruits before putting in the refrigerator or the pantry and then washing again before I use. I am questioning the validity and efficacy of doing all of this too. Frequent, proper hand washing is probably enough, but WTH, I’ve got nothing better to do at this point in time.

Last edited by jean_ji; 03-27-2020 at 12:12 PM..

Old 03-27-2020, 12:27 PM

16,575 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
LOL!! Everyone now thinks they are a virus expert. It's like waiting in line but being 6 ft apart. When the person in front of you moves up the line, so do you so now you're in the space the previous person occupied breathing the air they just exhaled. Still it's better than nothing I suppose.
In theory you are not worried about breathing the same air.
While this virus is contagious, most of the spread is when someone secretions become airborne via coughing and/or sneezing.
You can not see the particulates of secretions from the longs/throat/mouth/nose, but they fly out in a cloud like haze, in the direction the person face who expelled them.

Using special enhanced and slowed photography methods, you can see the larger particulates (too small for the naked eye) fall fairly quickly in front of the person. However the smaller ones are pushed out and past the persons mouth/nose and can travel some distance.
So while 6 feet is not a perfectly safe distance, it is a reasonable amount for an average person who might sneeze/cough.
Some big guy with a huge uncovered sneeze/cough might expell droplets 10+ feet while a petite woman might only send them 3+ feet.

Of course the aforementioned secretions on their hands can infect via them touching a common surface that others wind up touching.

So yes, something is better than nothing for the aforementioned reasons, but it is not because of the air that is expelled during standard breathing.

`

Old 03-27-2020, 12:28 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,925,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
Our son asked us last night if we needed them to shop for us. We declined. I shop every 10 days, with a produce pickup from a co-op on Sundays, delivered in boxes in a parking lot. I brought all the groceries into the house today and put the bags on newspapers on the floor. I wiped every thing I bought with Lysol wipes and let them dry on the table. All counters, table and floor were cleaned after. All the plastic bags are out in the sun and 85 degrees today. I’m so glad we haven’t banned plastic bags here yet, there’s no way I’m using re-usable bags at this time.

Our Publix was fairly empty, with the usual missing products like paper towels and TP, along with low stock in canned goods. There BOGO beer selection was gone, but I was there early. Their bakery items were fully loaded. Ground meat could only be bought in one pound packages with a limit of two per customer. I found everything on my list. I did wear disposable gloves in the store and cleaned all the surfaces I touched in my car and all handles etc when I got home.

I use the dishwasher, but also use a bamboo dish drain on the counter. I tossed the bamboo thing in the pool to soak for an hour and let it dry in the sun. I stripped my clothes off and soaked myself in the pool for a half hour too while getting some vitamin D.

We have not eaten any meals we haven’t prepared ourselves for three weeks and have a feeling when this levels out, that won’t change much. We decided early on not to purchase any carry-out meals for the duration.

Thank goodness I’m only shopping every 10 days, I am so tired of doing all of the precautionary/reactionary wiping, and cleaning along with washing of vegetables/fruits before putting in the refrigerator or the pantry and then washing again before I use. I am questioning the validity and efficacy of doing all of this too. Frequent, proper hand washing is probably enough, but WTH, I’ve got nothing better to do at this point in time.
Don't have the option of delivery where I'm at. So will need to risk the every 10 day trip to a grocery store, similar precautions as you.

We can stave off the inevitable for awhile, but the reality is that there is a 50/50 chance we will eventually get Covid 19 this round. And if we have a resurgence next season the odds are even better. One thing to remember is that unless you are elderly with underlying health issues, odds are 8 in 10 of having a mild case. Which should provide immunity to future infection assuming this thing does not mutate.

Really worried about your state with the large number of retirees down there.

Old 03-27-2020, 12:44 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
......... I’m so glad we haven’t banned plastic bags here yet, there’s no way I’m using re-usable bags at this time.
Sadly there was a big stink about being green and plastic bags and straws have been banned. For the life of me I cannot understand it. I have been told the big issue is this plastic getting into the ocean. And how does that happen? Apparently the plastic makes it from the garbage disposal holding areas to the ocean. That would seem to be a problem that needs to be looked at first.

Anyway, not having bags available has made handling groceries much worse. Certainly reusing and storing cloth bags is an issue now that food items and grocery carts and other surfaces are potentially contaminated.

Old 03-27-2020, 12:47 PM

14,302 posts, read 11,692,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrkliny View Post
Anyway, not having bags available has made handling groceries much worse. Certainly reusing and storing cloth bags is an issue now that food items and grocery carts and other surfaces are potentially contaminated.
Cloth bags are the easiest to deal with of all! Toss them in the wash.

I hope you are not worried about viruses still being on cloth that has just been through the wash cycle.

Old 03-27-2020, 12:57 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,952,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
What nonsense, all that clown is doing is spreading any virus that’s on the wrappers and packaging around the room.
That is what I thought. He is not wearing gloves either (he does wipe his hands tho). I would have done the wiping outside or in the garage. Or at least somewhere other than the kitchen.

Old 03-27-2020, 12:57 PM

7,899 posts, read 7,110,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Cloth bags are the easiest to deal with of all! Toss them in the wash.

I hope you are not worried about viruses still being on cloth that has just been through the wash cycle.
You are able to get clothes washing soap? We are not going out to the stores to look for it and are looking at rationing our remaining supply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement