Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2007, 12:26 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,614,553 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any special way of dealing? Someimes writing, or reading a biography helps me- what else does everyone suggest?

sunny
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2007, 12:27 AM

2,267 posts, read 3,302,753 times
Why do you think you see me here so much...it takes my mind off of what bothers me...

I also normally enjoy sitting by the pool, the sun causes an excess of seratonin in your brain...

Old 05-23-2007, 01:00 AM

989 posts, read 2,763,456 times
Default If it lasts more than 2 weeks

You should go to a doctor. Clinical depression is a very common affliction (most people just don't talk about it) and it is not nearly as bad as it may sound. Medical treatment works amazingly well!

Old 05-23-2007, 04:24 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,643,476 times
I have suffered from Chronic depression for 7 years and though anti-depressants take the edge of things I do have some very,very dark periods and have felt suicidal quite a few times before. Therapy and CBT has completely failed me so I have learnt to basically live with it. I try to take each day as they come, always try to put things into perspective ( very hard when your mind feels like it's heading into the heart of darkness), try very hard to be positive about the smallest things when the bigger things feel so bad, and try to incorporate more pleasurable things into my daily life, for me reading, going to the theatre, eating out etc.. I find that keeping as busy as possibly can helps to soften the harder edges. I have to say though , it is really difficult especially when a lot of people tell you to "pull yourself together" !
Baby steps is my advice and the best thing is to have loving support ( for me , from my partner who is kind, loving, and understanding).

Old 05-23-2007, 04:02 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,614,553 times
Mooseketeer- thanks.

I am in the first stage of separation- and with parents deceased- makes it worse. Thanks though because I have those days too- I have to avoid certain movies (dont watch Sylvia with Gwyneth Paltrow) CBT is like saying just do it - it doesnt work when I am in a depressed mood.

Thanks to everyone for posting I guess I havent been at the complete edge- For me I dont think suicidal behavior is just like SAD affective disorder- I was more depressed in the extreme heat sometimes- just my experience

s.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:43 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,712,745 times
Sunny - and others - I think people who are tender-hearted are more sensitive to everything, and take things into themselves more intensely.
It makes it tough. It's hard enough to deal with one's own day-to-day problems and aggravations (and we all have them). But when we add everybody else's problems to our own pile and take them on as ours, we can feel overwhelmed.

The Serenity Prayer is a good thing to know and memorize, and really think on it. Also, my hubby has taken to saying (like the old saying from doctors "take two aspirin and call me in the morning") - hubby reminds me to 'take two Psalms..." (it could be any verses, actually). If we remember that we don't HAVE to be in control of everything, it sometimes lessens the anxiety.

Will be thinking of you. You'll get through this, one day at a time.

Old 05-25-2007, 07:04 AM

7,999 posts, read 12,286,690 times
I guess my suggestions would be as follows: (If you've not done these already!)

1- Get a complete physical
2- Find a really good therapist, someone you like and with whom you can feel that there is a good empathic connection. Perhaps someone who can prescribe meds, if needed. There are good therapists out there, it just takes time to actually find the right one,
3- Try and get regular excersize. Even just walking each day for 20 minutes can really help depression/mood disorders
4- Do not ignore or minimize how you feel - If need be, find a support group, or a group therapy type situation. It often times help to hear other people's experiences with depression, and to be able to talk to others who are also going through the same thing.
5-Do not buy into the "stigma" surrounding depression; it is a very real condition that others who don't experience it can sometimes have difficulty in understanding.

I genuinelly hope that you will find relief in coping with your moods. It can be extremely difficult, I know, but I would be relentless in trying to find help. There are new therapies and drug therapies coming out all the time...Good luck. You are in my thoughts.

Take gentle care!

Old 05-25-2007, 08:12 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,367,294 times
I get out of the house and walk when I'm down in the dumps. It helps me clear my mind. Often I just stop, take a seat and look at the beautiful farms fields around me. There's more than likely a rabbit or deer that comes into view. Not being surrounded by four walls and feeling closed in gives you room to breath. I find nature fascinating and it helps calm me no matter what the season is.

Keep your chin up Sunny and do whatever you need to do for you. Think about number one for a change.

Old 05-25-2007, 08:20 AM

793 posts, read 3,123,597 times
Numero uno is staying busy! Don't vegeatate...stay away from the TV and remote! Just cleaning alone, especially a neglected portion of your residence/yard helps alot! Also, you can't underestimate exercise, especially engaging in a high metabolic activity beyond your norm (running as opposed to walking, etc...). It's not easy when you feel blue, but once you do it, you feel better, as your serotonin levels are higher, a big contributor to determining your moods. Eventually when it becomes a life style choice and not a "task", exercise will keep you in happier spirits not just for a short duration afterwards, but more 24/7.

Old 05-25-2007, 09:05 AM

3,860 posts, read 8,457,624 times
I second exercise and cleaning. Even though I hate to clean, I feel so good after I have done it. As far as exercise, I try to get in at least 45 min of walking most days of the week. If I don't exercise, I can't sleep well at night which makes me really tired during the day. That can spiral into a funk and then I don't want to exercise the next day. That's why I will not let more than two days go by without walking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health